coronavirus

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

as its heading towards spring/easter then people will be wanting to head off to the many thousands of caravans pitched on sites around the uk or get in their campervans and go to camp sites , congregate in the clubs and take part in general activity that has seen a huge boom in recent years - what advice to them?

I have friend who moved last year to small island/isthmus in southern France - they have had a bunch of Parisians recently rock up to their second homes, some appear ot have arrived ill and the year round residents are not best pleased (threats to block the only entrance road with their own barricades).  Seems to be a French equivalent of Hayling Island as it were

I would say travelling to a second/holiday home is NOT essential transport, you wont likely be reg'd with a local Dr and I am sure a static caravan near the coast in late March is not the best place to be with a chest infection

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

I have friend who moved last year to small island/isthmus in southern France - they have had a bunch of Parisians recently rock up to their second homes, some appear ot have arrived ill and the year round residents are not best please.  

I would say travelling to a second/holiday home is NOT essential transport, you wont likely be reg'd with a local Dr and I am sure a static caravan near the coast in late March is not the best place to be with a chest infection

the point I am making - for a lot of these people , and theres thousands then  their thinking will be they "are still at home and in their home"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, Bearman said:

Snap! 

I also have to re read any posts that I type as I tend to miss words out altogether.

Friends and family say they understand as I always talked gibberish anyway.

yep, no what you mean... I sometimes sit typing something and then in trying to remember the word I want realise quite a few minutes have gone by...  then I turn to google with a vague description and hope the word comes up...

Google isn't as good a my missus is with interpreting my descriptions or actions...

like... its in that big tall box thing, next to the cupboard with the cornflakes in... you know the one that keeps food cool.... oh.. you mean the fridge...

16 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

really getting into la la land now - total and utter tosh, twaddle and lies

image.thumb.png.2f2a6bb40b7f31588140420c1ae8c6f5.png

And, unfortunately, such bilge is hiding genuine messages like this one from an MP:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the point I am making - for a lot of these people , and theres thousands then  their thinking will be they "are still at home and in their home"

As i said in that part of france the year round dwellers are most adamant that they are not "still at home" and are making their thoughts well known. I would expect similar reaction here - except being english rather than a burning barricade a few tutts and stern looks are more likely

6 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My local independent discount store is currently selling (or trying to) 50ml bottles of antibac gel marked at 49p for £5 and packs of toilet rolls marked at £5 for £20. You can't but hope that it won't be one of the businesses to survive this.

you have to wonder what the Police's response would be if you went in picked one up put 50p on the counter and walked out with it

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My local independent discount store is currently selling (or trying to) 50ml bottles of antibac gel marked at 49p for £5 and packs of toilet rolls marked at £5 for £20. You can't but hope that it won't be one of the businesses to survive this.

are they open all hours?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Several institutions are doing similar but a good one is the Berlin Philharmonic who have made their Digital Concert Hall free and available to anyone who registers for at least the next thirty days. There's a fairly significant archive (looks like several hundred concerts and films) to explore.

Get yourself cultured, you horrible lot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Several institutions are doing similar but a good one is the Berlin Philharmonic who have made their Digital Concert Hall free and available to anyone who registers for at least the next thirty days. There's a fairly significant archive (looks like several hundred concerts and films) to explore.

Get yourself cultured, you horrible lot.

Ta, going to have a look at that.

My son is working ad hoc shifts at a local spoons - he reckons that is a barometer of the country and if it shuts they will all shut together and defacto mark a shut down of the country.

However he starts today at 17:00 and has a shift booked for saturday as well

Strange question but does anyone know what happens re MOT's, TAX and SORN in the case of this shutdown ?

To get VED you need active MOT and insurance, to leave a vehicle on the road without VED is a strict liability offence. If I can not get an MOT by mid April then i cant get VED and de facto officially i cant park onroad, I could do a SORN but i would rather be able to ride the bike just i dont think the bike MOT centre will be open ?

In NI recently they had an issue with car lifts in the state run MOT centres (all they have) and they let the existing MOT's ride over until the lifts were/are fixed

12 minutes ago, Shadow said:

You can renew early, it just means you "lose" a month or so. Get it tested ahead of time and avoid the problem.

only 2 weeks early and i havent hit that yet, due mid apr (17th i think) plus i think they are shutting this friday and at this time of year are usually booked up

In the past i would have spoken sweetly to my tame tester to get a certificate but now all has to be booked on the system electronically from the garage (i should say he would have come and tested it in my garage/up and down the road before issuing it and also always services my bike as well)

10 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

only 2 weeks early and i havent hit that yet, due mid apr (17th i think) plus i think they are shutting this friday and at this time of year are usually booked up

In the past i would have spoken sweetly to my tame tester to get a certifcate but now all has to be booke don the system electronically from the garage

I have used a small independent bike shop in Downton for my MOTs over the past few years, if you fancy a trip down to the forest I'd be happy to meet for a coffee and a ride out, we could go and knock on @Wiltshire Warrior Dragon's door as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to see us.

5 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I have used a small independent bike shop in Downton for my MOTs over the past few years, if you fancy a trip down to the forest I'd be happy to meet for a coffee and a ride out, we could go and knock on @Wiltshire Warrior Dragon's door as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to see us.

They will have same issue all MOT's now through the Siemens system, can only be carried out on premises with the card of the accredited tester in the attached card reader and they can only do 1 every (i think) 25 mins even if it was a moped which takes 10mins to test. I will meet up some time for a ride out - but in short term will have to drag wife out for a ride (she has a T509 before people get smutty) 150 miles round trip for an MOT is a tad far

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Ta, going to have a look at that.

Do. The production quality is top drawer. I have a concert playing now from 2013 and it's broadcast standard.

Plus the music's decent.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

Schools & colleges to shut from Friday as suspected

Not wholly though and it's confusing as to who'll be there, who'll teach them and what it really entails.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

you have to wonder what the Police's response would be if you went in picked one up put 50p on the counter and walked out with it

You'd hope they would chase after you, shouting "you forgot your change!"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Public exams will NOT take place but pupils will receive the qualifications they deserve (whatever that means)

Mock exam results and predicted grades, I suppose.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Public exams will NOT take place but pupils will receive the qualifications they deserve (whatever that means)

My actual grades were different to my predicted grades in pretty much every exam I took. (A mix of better and worse.)

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mock exam results and predicted grades, I suppose.

Cant do it on mocks

My daughter did most of her mocks in Oct when they had only done half the syllabus, the final lot were last week with people already panicking - her team mate did one set in Jan straight after Xmas. Those doing BTEC's dont have final terminal exams

If just on predicted her predictions will get her into her first choice (but her mocks were a grade down on each pre xmas) he classmate will miss her first choice by a grade but was having intensive extra maths tuition paid for by mum

EDIT BoJo's answer gave less than no guidance "i dont want to go into the wheres and hows of how they will get their qualifications" - how does that help a panicking 16 or 18 yo

Archived