coronavirus

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Do. The production quality is top drawer. I have a concert playing now from 2013 and it's broadcast standard.

Plus the music's decent.

I've signed up - looks good from the small clip I've watched before pausing to watch Boris' update. This, Tidal and all my unwatched DVDs may be taking a hit in the coming months. I'm also hoping that the panic buyers have wiped out all stocks of paint, wallpaper and brushes!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I ask a favour of the TRL clique?

If you see a scare story that's not from an official source (nhs.uk or gov.uk), from a credible official government named source or from a person who credibly WILL know this information then please slap it down hard. Hard.

It's genuinely breaking us having to keep firefighting these things and is scaring folk into stripping more shelves or overloading scarce resources. Over half of my afternoon has been slapping these things down from scared staff who are having scared patients overloading them.

If you find someone who actually starts it rather than merely forwarding it, whether it's maliciousness or Walter Mitty syndrome, then do as you damn well see fit with them. Obviously within the law... but as a minimum I'd suggest pointing and laughing at their small willy.

A simple guide: If it's not from one of those formal sources (with a real link!) then don't forward it. If you're still not sure whether to forward or not, don't forward it. If you're still not sure then I'm not sure what more I can do for you beyond suggest you reassess your life choices.

It really is fine to be scared! That's fine. Only brain-dead morons never get scared. It's how you deal with it that's important, and trolling the nation is not acceptable.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mock exam results and predicted grades, I suppose.

That really seems unfair to some kids who may have been like myself. Lets just say I wasn't the most committed of students and took little care and effort with mocks and what I was predicted to get because they weren't the real thing. That doesn't mean those kids wouldn't have got fantastic results in the real thing when they actually put in a little bit of effort.

Right on schedule ... reports of people who attended the Cheltenham Festival of Quite Galloping Greed and Stupidity showing covid-19 symptoms.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Right on schedule ... reports of people who attended the Cheltenham Festival of Quite Galloping Greed and Stupidity showing covid-19 symptoms.

Only an idiot wouldn't have seen the issues of over 200,000 people crammed in like sardines over 4 days. Money talks.

Just now, Damien said:

Only an idiot wouldn't have seen the issues of over 200,000 people crammed in like sardines over 4 days. Money talks.

I saw an interview with the chief twit organiser who said it was fine because everyone would have the opportunity to wash their hands.

But he had a nice plummy accent and a very expensive shirt so no one seemed prepared to call him a halfwit.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Absolutely no sign of things slowing down in the panic buying stakes here. Supermarkets near me virtually empty of everyday items like bread and milk etc. Beer is disappearing too! It’s getting worse if anything.

I think the problem is now being added to by some who were being sensible seeing empty shelves every time they go so have also decided to grab what they can when they can.

A bloke  with a trolley full of fabric conditioner is the strangest panic I've seen so far...…..

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

as its heading towards spring/easter then people will be wanting to head off to the many thousands of caravans pitched on sites around the uk or get in their campervans and go to camp sites , congregate in the clubs and take part in general activity that has seen a huge boom in recent years - what advice to them?

The Caravan and Motorhome Club offer this: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/whats-on/caravan-club-news/novel-coronavirus-advice/ All bars and restaurants on their sites are closed.

I've just emailed my County and District Councillors to ask what measures will be put in place to eliminate infection. There are  200 plus static caravan sites (with 25,00 static caravans) given the thousands of people from Leicester, Nottingham and Derby who will be travelling to hears this Easter or earlier.

All Butlins sites are closed from 20th March to 16th April 2020.

Haven remain open but with the closure of certain facilities ( undefined  by probably bars, restaurants)

Fantasy Island will not open its rides and family entertainment centre this weekend and fully expect to be closed throughout Easter. The market, caravan sites and holiday accommodation will remain open as long as it is safe and advisable to do so.

Given the possible influx of people with kids not at school, we might be safer clearing  off Scotland for a few weeks!!!!

Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs have announced they are temporarily closing their two Manchester hotels - and offering their rooms to the NHS for free.

The Manchester United legends' GG Hospitality group is shutting Hotel Football at Old Trafford and the recently-opened Stock Exchange Hotel in the city centre from Sunday March 22, in response to the escalating coronavirus crisis.

They have vowed not to make any staff redundant or put anyone on unpaid leave during the closure.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs have announced they are temporarily closing their two Manchester hotels - and offering their rooms to the NHS for free.

The Manchester United legends' GG Hospitality group is shutting Hotel Football at Old Trafford and the recently-opened Stock Exchange Hotel in the city centre from Sunday March 22, in response to the escalating coronavirus crisis.

They have vowed not to make any staff redundant or put anyone on unpaid leave during the closure.

I've seen other football players doing the same, including Ronaldo with his Portugese hotels. Well done to them in not hoarding their money, a few other very rich company owners could do the same...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I've seen other football players doing the same, including Ronaldo with his Portugese hotels. Well done to them in not hoarding their money, a few other very rich company owners could do the same...

Roman Abramovich has also done something similar for the NHS in the Chelsea area.

By comparison, Richard Branson has offered his employees the chance of 8 weeks' unpaid leave. So generous...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In Australia it seems like many politicians and civil servants understand the theory about viruses however because they cannot grasp the reality. They’ve never personally experienced one which has resulted in slow decision making or just waiting until their hands are forced.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

By comparison, Richard Branson has offered his employees the chance of 8 weeks' unpaid leave. So generous...

I know one of Richard Branson’s employees who is now urgently looking for any type of work he can get. 

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Roman Abramovich has also done something similar for the NHS in the Chelsea area.

Gary Neville is closing his hotels to guests, continuing to pay all the workers, and making capacity available for NHS and frontline staff.

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

I know one of Richard Branson’s employees who is now urgently looking for any type of work he can get. 

I suspect delivery driver companies will be hiring right now, especially ones for food/bogroll-selling companes..

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Gary Neville is closing his hotels to guests, continuing to pay all the workers, and making capacity available for NHS and frontline staff.

Yes. Now scroll up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes. Now scroll up.

If I do that now I get an advert.

Apologies if it had been mentioned, I didn’t see it among the other comments.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think the problem is now being added to by some who were being sensible seeing empty shelves every time they go so have also decided to grab what they can when they can.

A bloke  with a trolley full of fabric conditioner is the strangest panic I've seen so far...…..

I've been popping in Sainsburys most days (10 mins walk from home and its getting me outside) to grab a sandwich, etc.  It's notable how the low stock is moving through the store.  Loads of fresh veg on sun, none by tues.  Different aisles are hit.  

I would normally get a sandwich, pop and crisps everyday (healthy I know) but even I might be forced to horde now and get a weeks worth of dinners (midday meals to the southerners), as things are selling out too quick.  Thus I become part of the problem.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Called into the Aldi at 4 lane ends just of the M61 , just empty shelves , all the usual stuff missing but as you say the whole of the washing liguids , all the fresh fruit and veg , all the tinned stuff , all the cheese , the freezers were empty ( they must have some big fridge freezers at home , all the lager except the Corona ? , nearly all the wine , daft thing is this store is 500 yards from the main Aldi distribution depot , they did have a chainsaw available ?

Called in the Hindley one 4 miles away , everything full and available , except a chainsaw 

Just now, JohnM said:

Beer doesn't disappear. Moses supposes it metamorphoses into a less pleasant liquid

Some beer will go as micro breweries go bust.  No pubs = no sales.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Called into the Aldi at 4 lane ends just of the M61 , just empty shelves , all the usual stuff missing but as you say the whole of the washing liguids , all the fresh fruit and veg , all the tinned stuff , all the cheese , the freezers were empty ( they must have some big fridge freezers at home , all the lager except the Corona ? , nearly all the wine , daft thing is this store is 500 yards from the main Aldi distribution depot , they did have a chainsaw available ?

Called in the Hindley one 4 miles away , everything full and available , except a chainsaw 

Get the chainsaw...home defence!

Archived