coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think the supermarkets have been really slow to respond to this. Things have been very busy for the last couple of weeks, yet only in the last couple of days have we seen limits across the stores. It was clear things were only going to get worse as more people isolate themselves, or get ill and I think they should have managed this much better than they have. 

3 minutes ago, Celt said:

Your explanation, whether accurate for China or not, certainly explains why Europe has by far the biggest concentration of the virus - the simple fact that people move around far more than in other parts of the world.

Phillippines (another example) has 100M people, but less cases of the virus than Luxembourg (pop. 0.5M) which is 200 times smaller.

Another reason for China's relatively low numbers, is the amount of control the state can take of its citizens.  If European governments had tried the lockdown tactics at the same early stage as China, South Korea etc, then they would have met huge resistance from their public.  China was able to clear the streets of it's infected cities very quickly.  In the UK by contrast, it would appear that people are still drinking in pubs or going to the gym!  (Incredibly).

I really can't think of anywhere worse than a gym , all that ' breathing ' 

17 minutes ago, Celt said:

I just find it bizarre that they are still open in the UK, whereas every other country in Europe closed them down some days ago (along with cafes, pubs, restaurants.......)

Timing is important as well as actions. To quote from the IC report:

"Introducing such interventions too early risks allowing transmission to return once they are lifted (if insufficient herd immunity has developed); it is therefore necessary to balance the timing of introduction with the scale of disruption imposed and the likely period over which the interventions can be maintained."

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I actually think the supermarkets have been really slow to respond to this. Things have been very busy for the last couple of weeks, yet only in the last couple of days have we seen limits across the stores. It was clear things were only going to get worse as more people isolate themselves, or get ill and I think they should have managed this much better than they have. 

In fairness to the supermarkets I think they have been blindsided.  I think they have been surprised that the initial panic has continued.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Absolutely no sign of things slowing down in the panic buying stakes here. Supermarkets near me virtually empty of everyday items like bread and milk etc. Beer is disappearing too! It’s getting worse if anything.

just come back form ASDA where the anti bulk buying rules and people  are truly stupid

3 4 packs of beans - Good

4 cans of beans BAD

That was the guy in front of me who when stopped from getting 4 tins got 12 instead to prove a point but the next is me

1 18 pack of strongbow, no issue

4 bottles of beer in the 4 for £6 deal - sorry sir that is 4 items the same - to which i said "no it is 4 different beers, i havent noticed you stopping people buying 4 different packs of crisps and it costs more to by 3 than 4 due to your deal - she let me off "this time"

I also saw a lady knocking down an entire crate of punnets of blueberries to 10p, when someone tried to take 4 she said "3 items maximum" even when he pointed out she was knocking them down as  no one wanted them

Also entirely empty bread aisle apart form knock down 10p french bread batons on the fresh bakery 

8 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

just come back form ASDA where the anti bulk buying rules and people  are truly stupid

4 cans of beans BAD

That was the guy in front of me who when stopped from getting 4 tins got 12 instead to prove a point but the next is me

4 bottles of beer in the 4 for £6 deal - sorry sir that is 4 items the same - to which i said "no it is 4 different beers, i havent noticed you stopping people buying 4 different packs of crisps and it costs more to by 3 than 4 due to your deal - she let me off "this time"

I also saw a lady knocking down an entire crate of punnets of blueberries to 10p, when someone tried to take 4 she said "3 items maximum" even when he pointed out she was knocking them down as  no one wanted them

Also entirely empty bread aisle apart form knock down 10p french bread batons on the fresh bakery 

Yep, in Aldi Mrs Sidestep could have only 4 loose bananas, so no good for her 5 day banana calendar (don't ask) although she could have had 4 bags each containing 7 or 8.

You lot are lucky. I am in Spain,I had my first trip out of my villa and garden today.The first time for nearly a week. Just one drawback only one person allowed out of the house. So,I had to do the shopping, got to the local supermarket, no chicken,no turkey,no semi skimmed milk,no yoghurt,no bread rolls, no biscuits ,no sausage. Looks like dry bread and jam for a couple of weeks.Oh, and none of my favourite chocolate,just diabetic rubbish.

Ah well, things can only get better,always look on the bright side of life eh.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Beer doesn't disappear. Moses supposes it metamorphoses into a less pleasant liquid

The human body is an amazing thing. It can convert a quality English bitter into a premium Australian lager. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Back yesterday from 16 days in Australia, Going ok up till Friday when the world changed. I will make the following points.

Firstly, the panic here and in Australia in Supermarkets etc is being stirred by a media beat-up with wild headlines such as 1.5 million coronoavirus victims expected in NSW wich appreared in the Sydney Papers. Fact is this virus has a proportionately low death rate mainly with the over 70's and those with a pre-existing condition - second coming of the medieval Black death it is not

Second point, its not the sporting event that will transmit coronavirus but getting to and from the event either on public transportt or in pubs and bars before and after the game. To give an example - when travelling on a Line 2 tram from Circular Quay to Randwick a chinese man with mask on went into a virulent coughing  and sneezing attack near Chinatown Light Rail. Now while the carriages (like those on TFL Overhead trains) allowed me to get some distance from this - Once he got off the area he had been in in respect of hand rails etc would have been infected something future passengers would have been unaware of.

Third point, the UK is being sensible about this - Sure closing the borders gives you a temporary relief but long-term you going to have to re-open at some point at which point in time you will expose your population back to the virus without herd immunity so will suffer a second wave of infection.

Some photos from Australia

1. Toilet Roll Counter - Coles in Edgecliff - 9th March 2020

2  Entrepenuers getting into the act near Central Station - 12th March 2020

I get back here and it resembles my Market Town in Kent. where the same thing has been going on ?

One other point London to be locked down next week apparently - note the Coronavuirus figures per borough which are a probable underestimate

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/18/london-braces-lockdown-government-prepares-emergency-coronavirus/

Edgecliff - Coles - 9th March.jpg

Downunder Discounts - 12th March.jpg

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I've seen other football players doing the same, including Ronaldo with his Portugese hotels. Well done to them in not hoarding their money, a few other very rich company owners could do the same...

I don't know if a rich owner owns it but Britannia hotels have offered all their estate to the NHS as extended hospital facilities.  No mention of money changing hands so hopefully they won't be charging and of course nobody will be using the hotels as nobody can travel but even so, it's a good thing to put their buildings to good use, if (perish the thought) such extra space is needed.

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I don't know if a rich owner owns it but Britannia hotels have offered all their estate to the NHS as extended hospital facilities.  No mention of money changing hands so hopefully they won't be charging and of course nobody will be using the hotels as nobody can travel but even so, it's a good thing to put their buildings to good use, if (perish the thought) such extra space is needed.

One of the things that should be coming in to effect in the next few days is the offer to NHS staff who have family self isolating is that they can move to a hotel, then keep working if they are tested and clear, or at worst only wait 7 rather than 14 days to return. This sort of offer will support this. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I've been popping in Sainsburys most days (10 mins walk from home and its getting me outside) to grab a sandwich, etc.  It's notable how the low stock is moving through the store.  Loads of fresh veg on sun, none by tues.  Different aisles are hit.  

Similar for me; I live about 5 minutes' walk from my nearest Sainsbury's (built on the site of a building I used to work in). So I just pick up what I want from what's there at the time. For those who are a drive away from a supermarket, though, the idiot panic-buying must be enraging them.

I went in today, hoping to get some spare ribs for Friday evening, but pork was almost sold out apart from loin fillets, so I bought some duck legs instead. I can make a fine meal from them, but you have to pick fro what is on the shelves 'til the panicky nitwits' attention span wanes and they start besieging the petrol stations instead.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

4 cans of beans BAD

ok ok..

at least the supermarket is trying to do the right thing... and trying to keep it simple by simple rules for a complex equation of so many products...that could be clearly communicated.

Then expecting the staff on the counters to enforce the rules... the last thing the counter staff want smart back side dick heads coming along to explain to them why the rules don't make sense.. when all their trying to do is limit buying...

If smart back-side people went along with the goal and made decisions to help the goal then all would be fine...

Sometimes companies surprise you.  I always thought of home bargains being a cheap stack them high sell low type company.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

24 minutes ago, redjonn said:

ok ok..

at least the supermarket is trying to do the right thing... and trying to keep it simple by simple rules for a complex equation of so many products...that could be clearly communicated.

Then expecting the staff on the counters to enforce the rules... the last thing the counter staff want smart back side dick heads coming along to explain to them why the rules don't make sense.. when all their trying to do is limit buying...

If smart back-side people went along with the goal and made decisions to help the goal then all would be fine...

the point in neither he nor me were stockpiling - 4 cans of beans is not weird (we get through 2 at a sitting) and neither is getting 4 bottles of beer that are in a 4 for £6 deal. Meanwhile the person with 3 of every available cereal left on the shelves is scanned through unhindered as were all those self scanning

Finished work at 8pm, drove around for 1 hour and 45 minutes, 6 shops / supermarkets. Just to get my 2 daughters milk for breakfast in the morning & pack lunch stuff for school dinner. Failed to get bread! 

I'm still confident these selfish m@therf@@kers will run out of cash / storage space in the next couple of days combined with a ramping up of supply chains will result in normal working people been able to get the essentials for the last 12 days of the month. Come April the cycle will probably start again. 

People need to keep calm and just buy what they need and what they usually get! Show a bit of community spirit and respect for others. We are all in this together. 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Finished work at 8pm, drove around for 1 hour and 45 minutes, 6 shops / supermarkets. Just to get my 2 daughters milk for breakfast in the morning & pack lunch stuff for school dinner. Failed to get bread! 

I'm still confident these selfish m@therf@@kers will run out of cash / storage space in the next couple of days combined with a ramping up of supply chains will result in normal working people been able to get the essentials for the last 12 days of the month. Come April the cycle will probably start again. 

People need to keep calm and just buy what they need and what they usually get! Show a bit of community spirit and respect for others. We are all in this together. 

We can't buy what we usually get. We now no longer buy lunch and breakfast at work 5 days a week. My daughter won't be getting her lunch and breakfast at nursery.  We won't be eating out once a week, we won't be ordering a takeaway every week or two. 

All those changes mean we need to order a lot more food in our shop. 

12 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Just woke up after a hard day of drinking 151 proof Jamaican Rum all afternoon.  Was with he neighbour today and checking out supplies,,,have the .223 for anyone that comes into the general vicinity uninvited....have my favourite 30 30 for anyone that comes closer and then a 9 mm for up close ops...also a Lakefield 12 gauge shotgun.   Lots of ammo but could use a little more.  Carrying a large blade with bear spray on my belt at all times.

We are ready....we are ready.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Payday for the selfish m@therf@@kers will come at the end of the month, and they'll splurge again. Because they are the problem, but think they are avoiding the problem.

There was someone from a supermarket chain on the radio today, saying that all the preparation they did for the Brexit sh!tshow helped them be far more ready for this panicky nonsense than they might otherwise have been.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived