coronavirus

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We can't buy what we usually get. We now no longer buy lunch and breakfast at work 5 days a week. My daughter won't be getting her lunch and breakfast at nursery.  We won't be eating out once a week, we won't be ordering a takeaway every week or two. 

All those changes mean we need to order a lot more food in our shop. 

When you say you are ordering a lot more food, what does that mean? 3 months worth? 6 months worth? A years worth? Then you are part of the problem. If you are talking a weekly shop for a family, or even a monthly at a stretch if you really must then fair do's. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just woke up after a hard day of drinking 151 proof Jamaican Rum all afternoon.  Was with he neighbour today and checking out supplies,,,have the .223 for anyone that comes into the general vicinity uninvited....have my favourite 30 30 for anyone that comes closer and then a 9 mm for up close ops...also a Lakefield 12 gauge shotgun.   Lots of ammo but could use a little more.  Carrying a large blade with bear spray on my belt at all times.

We are ready....we are ready.

My rain check to come to yours is still ok I hope.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

9 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

When you say you are ordering a lot more food, what does that mean? 3 months worth? 6 months worth? A years worth? Then you are part of the problem. If you are talking a weekly shop for a family, or even a monthly at a stretch if you really must then fair do's. 

Well I thought my post explained what extra food I was buying. Around an extra 30 meals per week. 

so we’re heading for immanent lock down here in Manchester. London is likely to happen first but I’ve been told by close friends in the police, banking and military Manchester will follow soon.  Only essential service will be open and it’s likely to last till April 16th.  Hope your all ok.  supermarkets and banks will remain open.  Supermarket will be better stocked  they are now but will restrict access and implement sickest distancing measures.  We’ll all have enough food and loo roll to get though this but will we still have a job?

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well I thought my post explained what extra food I was buying. Around an extra 30 meals per week. 

I’m similar gone from around 10 meals from Sainsbury’s to 21.  Not bought any pasta or bog roll mind you!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 hours ago, Celt said:

You believe that?

Every other country has gone down a different route, and the UK appears to be about-turning in the face of criticism.

They aren't about turning at all.  Did you listen to the first press conference?  I did.  Right from the outset the PM and the scientists all said that what we are doing now is exactly what we might be doing at some point.  The modelling changed due to the information coming out of Italy updating on the percentage of critical people who need ventilation and the rate of spread has been quicker than the modelling initially suggested.  Imperial College is where the modelling has been done throughout.

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They aren't about turning at all.  Did you listen to the first press conference?  I did.  Right from the outset the PM and the scientists all said that what we are doing now is exactly what we might be doing at some point.  The modelling changed due to the information coming out of Italy updating on the percentage of critical people who need ventilation and the rate of spread has been quicker than the modelling initially suggested.  Imperial College is where the modelling has been done throughout.

I agree. DIfferent countries have different circumstances and different populations. Britain is surrounded by sea, Denmark is a tiny country with strong welfare state, the hUSA is huge and lacks a centralised health service. They cannot and should not act the same.

I am concerned at the lack of testing, as the UK was ready for that some years ago. But, the UK has merely reduced to more noral levels of being prepared.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I’m similar gone from around 10 meals from Sainsbury’s to 21.  Not bought any pasta or bog roll mind you!

Yeah, haven't seen toilet roll or paracetamol for a while now. But had we bought our normal amount last time (4 rolls) we would have been short at a time when all at home together. We got 18 because there were no 4 packs. 

But the supermarkets at the time were telling us they had loads and just buy normal amounts. 

4 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I agree. DIfferent countries have different circumstances and different populations. Britain is surrounded by sea, Denmark is a tiny country with strong welfare state, the hUSA is huge and lacks a centralised health service. They cannot and should not act the same.

I am concerned at the lack of testing, as the UK was ready for that some years ago. But, the UK has merely reduced to more noral levels of being prepared.

Bob, I saw some curves yesterday that make us look almost identical to Italy, just a couple of weeks behind, yet we had the advantage of more knowledge and an apparently younger demographic (and one that lives apart from older people in general). Based on the radical actions we took (going against pretty much everyone else, and the specific WHO advice), wouldn't we have hoped for some better results than we are getting?

Even just based on the two advantages above, if they are genuine advantages we should have seen better results than Italy - if our results are the same or worse, couldn't it be said that is down to our approach? 

I accept this is flawed as not all other things are like for like, but all the things that explained Italy's high impact seem to still impact us. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Bob, I saw some curves yesterday that make us look almost identical to Italy, just a couple of weeks behind, yet we had the advantage of more knowledge and an apparently younger demographic (and one that lives apart from older people in general). Based on the radical actions we took (going against pretty much everyone else, and the specific WHO advice), wouldn't we have hoped for some better results than we are getting?

Even just based on the two advantages above, if they are genuine advantages we should have seen better results than Italy - if our results are the same or worse, couldn't it be said that is down to our approach? 

I accept this is flawed as not all other things are like for like, but all the things that explained Italy's high impact seem to still impact us. 

It does seem the call was wrong. I am reluctant to condemn it, particularly as we do not know how it will go.

I do think that the preparation now is far worse than it was a decade ago and the Government are getting away with something that the Trump administration has not.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Work from home!

Self isolate!

Let's contain this!

Nope.

They're all in Tesco spreading the virus. Car park full at 7.30 (again).

Yep, I didn't go down tesco at this time yesterday but know someone who did and they said car park was rammed and must have been queues of people hundreds of metres long. I went about 10am and the place was stripped bare, like a plague of pasta-addicted locusts. 

I only went for some pasta, quorn mince (I've started a diet recently), soup, bread and cat food. Managed to get the bread but wasn't exactly spoilt for choice, got the two tins of soup I was restricted to, not many more left after that anyway, no quorn at all so ended up with turkey mince and some chicken sausages, both low in fat but also some of the last meat left, I guess people don't like those things (whack a sauce on them and you can't taste it anyway) and not one single pack of pasta, rice or spaghetti but did find a small pack of rice abandoned elsewhere in the shop so took that (I'm assuming the person had too many in their trolley). Decided to stock up on mog food cos that'll be the next thing people are panic buying after they realise they've got masses of stock for themselves but have forgotten about their animals, and to top it off, somehow two bottles of whisky (well one whisky, one whiskey) jumped into my basket. 

Original shopping list:

Wholemeal bread

Quorn mince

4 tins of soup

Pasta

Spaghetti

Cat food

Result:

White bread

Turkey mince

Chicken sausages

2 tins of soup

Abandoned rice

Lots of cat food

2 bottles of whisky/whiskey

The young generation are coming out of this best to my observation.

The old people are ignoring it.

The middle aged are bulk buying.

The young are not ceoncerned, but seem to be staying in to protect the old.

Just been to Tesco to get some shopping for isolated family members, was pretty quiet (obviously busier than normal). Plenty of empty shelves, but plenty of food if you are happy to improvise. 

Fortunately I enjoy tandoori prawns on spaghetti hoops. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just been to Tesco to get some shopping for isolated family members, was pretty quiet (obviously busier than normal). Plenty of empty shelves, but plenty of food if you are happy to improvise. 

Fortunately I enjoy tandoori prawns on spaghetti hoops. 

That's what I've found. There's actually a lot of stock in, it just might not be what you prefer but if the government forces you to be inside, whos being picky? Plenty fish and sausages for example whilst beef/pork/chicken has been sold out for quite some time. Similarly, shelves are rammed of fresh pasta, which I've frozen, but can't get dried pasta for love nor money.

8 hours ago, Celt said:

You believe that?

Every other country has gone down a different route, and the UK appears to be about-turning in the face of criticism.

I believe a scientific paper written by experts in the field of the spread and containment of disease an awful lot more than the opinion of someone on here. There has been a plan to impose sanctions from the start, but as the snippet says timing of that imposition is as important as the imposition itself. As you say almost every country is doing things differently. No one will know whose strategy was best until it's all over, including 2nd, and perhaps further, waves.

27 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

That's what I've found. There's actually a lot of stock in, it just might not be what you prefer but if the government forces you to be inside, whos being picky? Plenty fish and sausages for example whilst beef/pork/chicken has been sold out for quite some time. Similarly, shelves are rammed of fresh pasta, which I've frozen, but can't get dried pasta for love nor money.

Fresh pasta freezes great. Just throw boiling water on it straight from the freezer, and 5 minutes simmering later its done. Throw on a large spoonful of philadelphia (with flavourings or not) stir in quickly before it splits and then have pasta n sauce

After epic bread search last night. 

Resolved to get my daughter's meal deals for pack lunch. 

Drove past Tesco express on way to school, many people scurrying away with carrier bags full of shopping. Decided not to stop there, went to local post office, they had 3 loaves of Warburtons left. 

I didn't get them all, i didn't even get 1. Despite the dramas of last night's search. 

Got them meal deal sarnies instead. 

Respect for others. Resist the Panic. 

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

The young generation are coming out of this best to my observation.

The old people are ignoring it.

The middle aged are bulk buying.

The young are not ceoncerned, but seem to be staying in to protect the old.

I don't think it helps much separating people into groups and stereotyping them after conducting a bit of amateur research at times like these. 

Families are made up of young, middle aged & old.

Communities are made up of young, middle aged and old.

Nations are made up of young, middle aged and old. 

All in it together. 

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I don't think it helps much separating people into groups and stereotyping them after conducting a bit of amateur research at times like these. 

Families are made up of young, middle aged & old.

Communities are made up of young, middle aged and old.

Nations are made up of young, middle aged and old. 

All in it together. 

Of course, it was intended to be light hearted 

Archived