coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Fresh pasta freezes great. Just throw boiling water on it straight from the freezer, and 5 minutes simmering later its done. Throw on a large spoonful of philadelphia (with flavourings or not) stir in quickly before it splits and then have pasta n sauce

thanks for the tip, never frozen fresh pasta, will probably start doing so now!

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I don't think it helps much separating people into groups and stereotyping them after conducting a bit of amateur research at times like these. 

Families are made up of young, middle aged & old.

Communities are made up of young, middle aged and old.

Nations are made up of young, middle aged and old. 

All in it together. 

Based entirely on the subjective thing of my Facebook acquaintances and friends, that works for me as well as Bob8.

My younger family members (20-early 30s) are sad that they can't do things but have accepted it with grace.

My older family members (60+) are generally unhappy that their lives are being interrupted but are accepting their fate whatever it brings, whether it's 40 more years of life or an excrement-happens outcome.

The mid-30s to mid-50s lot are overwhelmingly acting like panicking toddlers. The scare stories they're putting around and the pictures of their hoarding runs want to make me thrash them with a large stick. One of my cousins who refused pasta when he was round ours for tea one time a few years ago, he apparently hated the texture, had a picture up of two large bags full of dried pasta he'd got when a store had just restocked. Another thought I was a right wuss for having soya milk with two boxes of UHT soya milk, I seriously doubt he'll drink the stuff.

So, I tend to agree with Bob8, it's not the youngsters or old folk who I'm seeing being the thwaites in this one.

Again, this is based entirely on my own family and friends list.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

The young generation are coming out of this best to my observation.

The old people are ignoring it.

The middle aged are bulk buying.

The young are not ceoncerned, but seem to be staying in to protect the old.

Not quite , there was a piece on Look North (for Cumbria/North East ) where it showed the University had closed  and this particular street was their local watering place . Pubs were full,bouncers on the doors and queues outside ,........... in the afternoon .

As a light point, one of our running threads at work is post-COVID-19 and how we'll ensure all the deferred stuff is caught up in the best time possible.

One stream is lots of Christmas babies are expected this year ?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

42 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Not quite , there was a piece on Look North (for Cumbria/North East ) where it showed the University had closed  and this particular street was their local watering place . Pubs were full,bouncers on the doors and queues outside ,........... in the afternoon .

Have to say, I'm seeing idiots and heroes from pretty much all ages and backgrounds.

I'm trying to be as forgiving as possible of idiots because we are all worried but when you drive past Morrison's at 8 in the morning and see that the car park is absolutely rammed *again*, it does make you slightly despair of some people.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Decided to stock up on mog food cos that'll be the next thing people are panic buying after they realise they've got masses of stock for themselves but have forgotten about their animals,

Already happening. Went into the B&M in Stowmarket yesterday to buy some litter for my Mother's cats and the two pet food/litter/bedding aisles had been completely stripped.

SitRep;

Got a text message my shift has changed to a 2pm 10pm from a 10am 8pm in an effort to split workforce. So everyone loses 2 hrs a day! 

So am now sat outside same supermarket as I was on paddys day on my birthday day off when I was posting on here. 

As others have mentioned, yes many people are now stockpiling on beer! There are ridiculous amounts of alcohol products coming out of the door in trolleys. 

The main thing I'm thinking is that people are behaving like rats do with their food. Seriously. It's not good when people have degenerated to the level of rats in the space of a week and a half. 

It's been a right headache, a real pain in the bum not being able to get paracetamol.

Not been panic buying,  though, as the freezer and cupboards are full and we've already got 10 packs of dogfood, though we don't yet have a dog. Still, you never know....

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

My rain check to come to yours is still ok I hope.

Yup...I got the perfect place to isolate to...only problem is no running water yet...still too cold....other than that she is open.

14 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's been a right headache, a real pain in the bum not being able to get paracetamol.

Not been panic buying,  though, as the freezer and cupboards are full and we've already got 10 packs of dogfood, though we don't yet have a dog. Still, you never know....

You can always trade it...might have to go back to the barter system for awhile.

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My wife took this of me out hunting for bread this morning......

90097491_10162960000905167_5503668966809141248_n.jpg

Better watch it you could get shot by a hunter who has lost his glasses!

12 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

the point in neither he nor me were stockpiling - 4 cans of beans is not weird (we get through 2 at a sitting) and neither is getting 4 bottles of beer that are in a 4 for £6 deal. Meanwhile the person with 3 of every available cereal left on the shelves is scanned through unhindered as were all those self scanning

yep, sorry for a touch over-reacting to your comment too negatively, please accept my apology.

49 minutes ago, JohnM said:

With 10 packs you should be able to tempt enough dog's to keep you going for a while if things get really tricky?

Shifted this from the politics thread where I posted by mistake:

A mate who's normally a sensible type told me this morning he'd stuffed his freezer full of everything fresh and bought all the canned/long-life foods he can. I asked "Why?!" He said that he can't guarantee he'll get paid at the end of this month if his work goes bust so is using his spare money to get things in now so that that's one less worry.

THAT really hit through for me. Hard to argue against that with moral arguments about sharing.

Listening to the medical statement just now and can only hear someone in the audience with a dry cough that screams "ISOLATE YOURSELF!" I wonder who she's infecting by soldiering on...

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

It's very quiet out here on the seafront, its quieter than Christmas day. Mind you the clean air makes up for it. 

They're all in Morrison's.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

A mate who's normally a sensible type told me this morning he'd stuffed his freezer full of everything fresh and bought all the canned/long-life foods he can. I asked "Why?!" He said that he can't guarantee he'll get paid at the end of this month if his work goes bust so is using his spare money to get things in now so that that's one less worry.

THAT really hit through for me. Hard to argue against that with moral arguments about sharing.

As I'm on Universal "Credit", I have always had a bunker mentality, I have loads of frozen, tinned, and dried food, I bought big roll by the 18's, even though I live alone. I'm a survivor. 

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As I'm on Universal "Credit", I have always had a bunker mentality, I have loads of frozen, tinned, and dried food, I bought big roll by the 18's, even though I live alone. I'm a survivor. 

What are you going to do if your freshwater drinking supply becomes contaminated?

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

That bloke ain't thinking straight, 'If' his work goes bust? 

He 'may' have to apply for universal credit to get the essentials. 

In any case. He would be better off saving what he's got, not rushing around wildly spending. 

Sounds like he's been gripped by fear and swept along in the mass panic. As you state, he's normally the sensible type. 

Archived