coronavirus

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

That bloke ain't thinking straight, 'If' his work goes bust? 

He 'may' have to apply for universal credit to get the essentials. 

In any case. He would be better off saving what he's got, not rushing around wildly spending. 

Sounds like he's been gripped by fear and swept along in the mass panic. As you state, he's normally the sensible type. 

Given universal credit will pay in May now for a claim today... and that's best endeavours given the stress on the system.

He works for a small-ish company and a bit of a London wide-boy as owner, if they go bust or the owner doesn't want to waste money rescuing the company or keeping people employed then he knows his salary or redundancy will the last thing on the owner's mind. It's a big worry for him.

I remember the miners strike as a kid and the fear of running out of food was huge. It dominated things. I got my tea next door (a non mining family) on days the school was off and I know that my family had short days of beans & toast on too many days.

For someone with no certain income then that black hole with no light at the end of it is damnably scary.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is the result of the persistent hype and scaremongering by people sharing gossip from a mate of a mate whose granny heard through the neighbour's walls where the neighbour is a cleaner in a barracks somewhere

Just stop it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

And this is the result of the persistent hype and scaremongering by people sharing gossip from a mate of a mate whose granny heard through the neighbour's walls where the neighbour is a cleaner in a barracks somewhere

Just stop it.

Again, idiocy. People are totally ignorant as to what a lockdown could mean. They think it's going to be martial law and no one will be allowed out for any reason. 

18 minutes ago, ckn said:

Given universal credit will pay in May now for a claim today... and that's best endeavours given the stress on the system.

He works for a small-ish company and a bit of a London wide-boy as owner, if they go bust or the owner doesn't want to waste money rescuing the company or keeping people employed then he knows his salary or redundancy will the last thing on the owner's mind. It's a big worry for him.

I remember the miners strike as a kid and the fear of running out of food was huge. It dominated things. I got my tea next door (a non mining family) on days the school was off and I know that my family had short days of beans & toast on too many days.

For someone with no certain income then that black hole with no light at the end of it is damnably scary.

Normal JSA isn't much better either  - it me took from 28 Jan to 27 Feb to get £83 out of them

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Again, idiocy. People are totally ignorant as to what a lockdown could mean. They think it's going to be martial law and no one will be allowed out for any reason. 

Indeed . And that’s why that word in itself really isn’t helpful and shouldn’t be used . Some verbal dexterity could be used 

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

All the more reason to not go out and buy anything and everything he sees available on the shelves right now. 'IF' he looses his job and 'IF' he can't get another one or universal for up to 6 weeks then he might really need something that he's not thought of on the spur of the moment whilst bulk buying but won't be able to get it. Stop, save, think, plan. I feel he's going to be worrying more with a zero bank balance wondering if he's got everything. 

One of the lads in my curry club is in hospital with the virus. He flew back to the UK for Cheltenham and is now back in Singapore.

40odd new cases here yesterday which is significantly the highest per day since we began!

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Asda last night beer and cider aplenty but just 2 4 packs of Bud light, some bottles of desperado (about the same as that pic) and 2 pallet loads of Corona plus an aisle end

I have therefore decided - drinking lager is an indicator of likelihood to believe scare stories and hype

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

As I'm on Universal "Credit", I have always had a bunker mentality, I have loads of frozen, tinned, and dried food, I bought big roll by the 18's, even though I live alone. I'm a survivor. 

Just on that... whilst not needing too I picked up from my mother (past away a while ago) the stocking the cupboards habit.

I may have said elsewhere my Dad being a Liverpool Docker was always on strike or prior to gaining changes was a casual worker (that is wait in the cage to be selected for work that day - in 1960s, an early form of gig worker). So never being sure whether me dad would have work or whether he may be on strike - sometimes 3-4months at a time she stockpiled food.

The cupboard went under the stairs and I was often sent in to crawl to the back to get a tin of something or other... We always lasted out the longest of strikes with piles of tins to spare... thinking back she must have had 12 months of supplies deep in the cupboard.   

As i say my parents died a good while ago... but for sure if she was alive today could have loaned the local supermarket a few tins for any empty shelves...

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

SitRep;

Got a text message my shift has changed to a 2pm 10pm from a 10am 8pm in an effort to split workforce. So everyone loses 2 hrs a day! 

So am now sat outside same supermarket as I was on paddys day on my birthday day off when I was posting on here. 

As others have mentioned, yes many people are now stockpiling on beer! There are ridiculous amounts of alcohol products coming out of the door in trolleys. 

The main thing I'm thinking is that people are behaving like rats do with their food. Seriously. It's not good when people have degenerated to the level of rats in the space of a week and a half. 

Stockpiles of luxuries is more sensible than long life healthy food that will never be eaten. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

well on a positive note..

my favorite Italian restaurant, local Pub, and nearest store/combined cafe and smoke house... (I live in country) are all doing take away meals... The Italian and Smokehouse/store/cafe are doing fresh meals that can be also be frozen... plus delivering...

Have to persuade missus that I can cook the smokehouse kippers at home... she ain't having it cause they stink for ages she says...

Just listening to a radio show and the adverts kicked in, one advert was a M&S one advertising Mothers Day and how you can host her to a big dinner for cheap. That's one that got old very quickly ?

David M.  we are in total lockdown,one person is allowed out of the house to go the Pharmacy, Supermarket, Medical Centre or Petrol Station. Just this morning I decided I needed to go to the Supermarket. As only one person is allowed to be in the car at any time I set off . Within a couple of hundred metres I was stopped by the Guardia and asked where I was going. I explained the Supermarket and showed him the wifes shopping list. He waived me on and when I arrived at the Supermarket it was closed for the day for a local holiday.And,no,this is not a joke,on my way back the Guardia were still there. I said to the one who stopped me why he did not tell me it was closed,his answer, you never asked me if it was open.Now,how can you not laugh at that even though I was really annoyed at the time.however,we will soldier on until it opens again tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

thanks for the tip, never frozen fresh pasta, will probably start doing so now!

One of my 'go to' quick meals after running

4 ingredients, 15 mins

Fresh pasta, Philadelphia with garlic & herbs, Chorizo, Mushrooms

Put pan of water onto boil. Take pasta out of freezer. Slice chorizo & mushrooms. Put pasta into boiling water. Start cooking mushrooms, then the chorizo. When cooked, add large dollop of Philadelphia, stir quickly so it doesn't split. Drain pasta, but not quite all of the water. Add to pan of chorizo etc, not the other way round. Stir together. Serve. Add parmesan and/or black pepper on top if needed

The oil and spices will absorb into the mushrooms and help make the sauce with the Philly. The little bit of water left with the pasta also makes more sauce

In fact, typing that I'll try and buy some chorizo on the next shop. It keeps a fairly long time. Whats my chances of it being left on the shelves?

well with an avalanche of school children next week all hitting the broadband I'm guessing may be a few capacity issues.... good job the self centred world of stockpiling may have some difficult stockpiling network bandwidth 

Just now, Smudger06 said:

I'd say get a not unreasonable amount of flour and yeast, they ain't touching much on the baking aisle, a long ago forgotten aisle. 

just eating my way through a pile of fairy cakes the missus has just baked.. my favourite  cheery bun one's... she has renewed her passion for baking as we are stuck at home... yummy but will have to think about me bulging waistline.... I wonder if the government will come up with a financial package for those of us... through no fault of our own and due to the virus,  so we can to buy new pants

29 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

David M.  we are in total lockdown,one person is allowed out of the house to go the Pharmacy, Supermarket, Medical Centre or Petrol Station. Just this morning I decided I needed to go to the Supermarket. As only one person is allowed to be in the car at any time I set off . Within a couple of hundred metres I was stopped by the Guardia and asked where I was going. I explained the Supermarket and showed him the wifes shopping list. He waived me on and when I arrived at the Supermarket it was closed for the day for a local holiday.And,no,this is not a joke,on my way back the Guardia were still there. I said to the one who stopped me why he did not tell me it was closed,his answer, you never asked me if it was open.Now,how can you not laugh at that even though I was really annoyed at the time.however,we will soldier on until it opens again tomorrow.

Eff me, and I was thinking of going for a pint tonight in Wibsey.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

53 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just listening to a radio show and the adverts kicked in, one advert was a M&S one advertising Mothers Day and how you can host her to a big dinner for cheap. That's one that got old very quickly ?

I commented to the wife when i got home that the alcohol isle looked pretty threadbare but at the other end of Asda there was amothers day aisle near clothes and that had ample stocks of gins even down to an offer of a free glass with every purchase of Whitley Neill of which they had a shelf full.

Everyone too busy fighting over the last tin of spam to think about their mothers/wife's gin habit that needs feeding ?

Archived