coronavirus

All EPL, Football League and WSL football suspended now until the end of April and the deadline for finishing the season has been removed, so it could be finished any time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I'd say get a not unreasonable amount of flour and yeast, they ain't touching much on the baking aisle, a long ago forgotten aisle. 

No flour in asda near me and a guy had 3 bread machines in his trolley.

We have a 16 year old panasonic bread machine and via trial and error wife makes a decent loaf with 1/3 bread flour, 1/3 granary 1/3 Value plain flour, dried yeast, water and olive oil. No butter no milk powder, sometimes she throws in a handful of omega3 seed mix bought when Julian Graves shut down years ago, but she cracks it in a pestle and mortar first

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

What are you going to do if your freshwater drinking supply becomes contaminated?

I filter my tap water, and have dove since 1992. Manchester has great non polluted tap H2O, London is carp, here is ok, but still needs filtering. Filter tap water, or it will be contaminated

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

In fact, typing that I'll try and buy some chorizo on the next shop. It keeps a fairly long time. Whats my chances of it being left on the shelves?

Decent chance, its the fresh stuff that's going really quick.

My sainsbury's had no fresh beef, lamb, pork or chicken (well they had one packet of chicken...and I bought it.... thus becoming part of the problem).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

56 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I'd say get a not unreasonable amount of flour and yeast, they ain't touching much on the baking aisle, a long ago forgotten aisle. 

Flour was gone at ours.  All those once used bread makers coming back out of storage!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I filter my tap water, and have dove since 1992. Manchester has great non polluted tap H2O, London is carp, here is ok, but still needs filtering. Filter tap water, or it will be contaminated

Same here with water filter use, although more for reasons of taste. I change the filter about once a month, and the cost is far less than bottled, even if you don't buy multipacks of filters.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Same here with water filter, use although more for reasons of taste. I change the filter about once a month, and the cost is far less than bottled, even if you don't buy multipacks of filters.

I change filter about every 2 months now I've moved to a semi hard water area. Got enough for now though.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

well on a positive note..

my favorite Italian restaurant, local Pub, and nearest store/combined cafe and smoke house... (I live in country) are all doing take away meals... The Italian and Smokehouse/store/cafe are doing fresh meals that can be also be frozen... plus delivering...

Have to persuade missus that I can cook the smokehouse kippers at home... she ain't having it cause they stink for ages she says...

She's not wrong!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

17 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

We have a 16 year old panasonic bread machine and via trial and error wife makes a decent loaf with 1/3 bread flour, 1/3 granary 1/3 Value plain flour, dried yeast, water and olive oil. No butter no milk powder, sometimes she throws in a handful of omega3 seed mix bought when Julian Graves shut down years ago, but she cracks it in a pestle and mortar first

I used to have a breadmaker, and found that I got better results by using it just for the preparation (mixing, kneading, rising etc.), then baking the results in a regular oven.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I used to have a breadmaker, and found that I got better results by using it just for the preparation (mixing, kneading, rising etc.), then baking the results in a regular oven.

And I bet you'll both still claim to be working class and northern :kolobok_biggrin:

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

ditched our breadmaker years ago... as we have a great local bakery and never used the breadmaker... mmm may not have been a great decision in hindsight and some may say we should have got better prepared for the outbreak...mmmm

Anyway me old dad was a dab hand at making soda bread... which is quite easy to do and no need for yeast, etc.  I shall have to follow in me late dads footsteps and get cracking...

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

ditched our breadmaker years ago... as we have a great local bakery and never used the breadmaker... mmm may not have been a great decision in hindsight and some may say we should have got better prepared for the outbreak...mmmm

Anyway me old dad was a dab hand at making soda bread... which is quite easy to do and no need for yeast, etc.  I shall have to follow in me late dads footsteps and get cracking...

I grew up with a solid fuel aga and wife with a rayburn - a lot easier to prove bread when you have cookers like that (we also kept welding rods in the bottom left of the 4 ovens)

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Re: Water filters. We bought one of these drinking water filters 10 years ago. Works really well. Filters last 6 months, kettle doesn't scale up and there's no #### on the tea.

https://www.pozzani.co.uk/index.php?cPath=200

i once nearly sold NSA water filters (when i was a student) until i worked out it was a pyramid scheme and i would have to pay for the sample filters up front

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Thirlmere - its full to the brim at the moment

Fed by gravity all the way to Manchester. Another great piece of Victorian engineering. Though controversial at the time - those against it were John Ruskin and those who later founded the National Trust

Agree with you - there's no need to buy bottled water. And definitely no need to stockpile it 

39 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I grew up with a solid fuel aga and wife with a rayburn - a lot easier to prove bread when you have cookers like that (we also kept welding rods in the bottom left of the 4 ovens)

We had a solid fuel Aga for several years. If the wind was blowing in one direction, it'd barely be warm; if strongly in another direction, the stove top would glow dull red with the heat. You had to decide what to cook, based on the day's weather.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is something beautifully naive about the people believing China's coronavirus figures.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

We had a solid fuel Aga for several years. If the wind was blowing in one direction, it'd barely be warm; if strongly in another direction, the stove top would glow dull red with the heat. You had to decide what to cook, based on the day's weather.

Absolutely, wrong direction it was luke warm, if it also rained at the same time my sister got tar coming through the chimney breast wallpaper in her bedroom 

Used to burn something called phurnacite but the coalman reckoned ours was most economical he delivered to - you had to drop it down the centre of the hot hob. We looked at an oil or gas conversion but it was real old (my dad was paid to remove it from a big farmhouse who were electrifying someone before we moved in with him in 77) and non convertable as firebox too small/wrong shape

THIS NEXT POST IS FAKE _ DO NOT CONSIDER IT REAL UNLESS YOU ARE A CERTIFIED TIN HAT WEARER

COVID-19: THE TRUTH: The Government don't want you to know this! This whole outbreak was due to a deal made between the Rothchild's, the owners of Andrex Toilet Paper, and the Governments of the New World Order during the 9/11 tragedy. Within the next few weeks, you will be issued with Govt issued toilet paper (actually branded as being Andrex) which contains Nano-technology implants; these are designed to crawl up the crack of your ###### and implant themselves into your alimentary canal , thus allowing the Government to control your thoughts via 5G technology (see wiki leaks for more about CAT - Contactless ###### Technology - where do you think "they" got the terminology of CAT Scanners from? THINK about it !?!) which is why this whole COVID-19 thing was manufactured to deliberately cause an acute shortage of toilet paper in the first place. You can protect yourself by using alternatives to clean your crack and derriere (in order to avoid the implants and mind control technologies) by using things like Dock Leaves, Old Newspaper, Small Pets and, in extreme circumstances, the edge of your least favourite curtains. If it's too late, and you've already been exposed, you can find out by going to ANY retailers with contactless credit / debit card technology. Stall the cashier by asking for some cashback, swiftly drop your pants, part your ###### cheeks and quickly position your hoop over the card reader. If it says "checking details" on the terminal for more than 5 seconds then you are carrying an implant. The best way to neutralise an implant is easier than you think! All you need to do now, is to get into some sort of altercation which will involve certain police intervention, and encourage them to Taser you. You must carry on resisting once they've deployed the Taser, as it going to take about 4 zaps to disrupt the implant. Stay Safe Everyone! Stay tuned for next week's revelation, where I'll explain how the fluoride in your toothpaste is used and controlled by Rupert Murdoch to control how you subscribe to Sky Sports

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

You what? Not where I live.

Not been able to get flour of any description in our local Tesco all week, never mind the strong stuff for bread making.

Finally managed to get some yeast today, only about 6 cans left on the shelf though.

Wolford,

Wish I was joining you for a pint in Wibsey. No bars,cafes or anywhere where you can go out for a drink,you can not even go out so makes no difference if there was any bars open.It is amazing though about pallets of Corona in the supermarkets,it is the same here,nobody seems to want to buy it.Strange,wonder why?

Archived