coronavirus

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

ditched our breadmaker years ago...

I'm our breadmaker. Or rather, Kenwood is. For the last 15 years we've saved a fortune on bread. Maybe 5 % or less is shop bought. 

Late father in law owned 5 confectioners and bakers in Hindley, Leigh etc. Having seen how hard work it was, none of the family stayed in the business. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BryanC said:

You what? Not where I live.

Not been able to get flour of any description in our local Tesco all week, never mind the strong stuff for bread making.

Finally managed to get some yeast today, only about 6 cans left on the shelf though.

No flour, no yeast round here, either. 

Just now, JohnM said:

Same here in East Anglia. My Mother who is in her 80s and has always made her own bread is very upset about it. She suspects many packets will be sitting on panic buyers' shelves going off, as they will never actually get round to making any

just tried to ring an old work mate whos in his late 70s and had health issues to check up on him and his mrs - why the feck can people of that age not switch their phones on or if they do not answer them- then ring you 3 weeks later saying "did you ring? I got a missed call"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

30 minutes ago, JohnM said:

When they still had in store bakeries if you asked the baker sin Tesco they would give you some of their live yeast in a  little bag - dont know if any of your local supermarkets still bake in-house not just finish in ovens ?

its natures PAY BACK time, you cant expect to treat animals, reptiles, fish , birds etc as the Chinese have done through history and not expect any consequences 

How is this kind of reporting helping?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51961624

"Food production could be hit next due to staff shortages" - cue more panic buying and more issues on the supply chain.

Time to dust off those ration books. It'll be the perfect way to celebrate VE Day, which everyone has forgotten but will now inevitably be cancelled.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

17 minutes ago, tim2 said:

How is this kind of reporting helping?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51961624

"Food production could be hit next due to staff shortages" - cue more panic buying and more issues on the supply chain.

Time to dust off those ration books. It'll be the perfect way to celebrate VE Day, which everyone has forgotten but will now inevitably be cancelled.

Yes. The reason for rationing wasn't because everyone was being, erm, rational. Quite the opposite. It's because there were a right lot of sods during the war.

Oh, and a lot of people died. That's the other part that people who've been invoking the Blitz spirit didn't think about too much during the past 75 years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

First Day back at work and in crisis meetings,  Schools anticipated to be off until September 2020. Situation grim.Not just London but whole of South East going into lockdown. Ghost Trains with the few passengers on them coughing and sneezing..

A point i did not make in mty earlier post, not that I am in favour of closing the borders as this backfires with Asian countries getting a second wave of coronavirus as nationals return but when I got back to Heathrow on Tuesday morning there was no attempt to check whrher or not I had a fever just straight through the I-Gates.

You would think you could identify those pasengers who were coming in with a fever and thus protecting the population as a whole including getting the rest of the aircraft passengers to self-isolate if a COVID19 carrier identified

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I think people need to start using the term "restricted movement" or similar instead of "lockdown".

It's an emotive and over-melodramatic word at this moment in time. We have more than enough unnecessary panic, thank you.

14 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

London and South East not going into lockdown, no mention of schools closing until september. Where have you got your info.from Red Rooster?

facebook obviously. The only reliable news source...

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

19 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

London and South East not going into lockdown, no mention of schools closing until september. Where have you got your info.from Red Rooster?

If those are the plans, no one seems to have told the Prime Minister.

I mean, it's fairly likely that there will be enforced restricted movements in and around London at some point, and probably other cities. But "and the south east" - what, the road between Uckfield and Upper Dicker? More likely "and Manchester and Birmingham etc etc".

And the September for schools? It would make sense to plan to that - after all 12 weeks from now, which Johnson did sort of but then not quite mention, takes us into June. Schools break in July. Will they go back for only a few weeks or will summer holiday be cancelled, or will it just be reset in September ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Couldn't stop myself chuckling when old Boris suggested that maybe should do the press conference briefing in a different way... especially as rest of country having to rethink how they work to best isolate...

complete silence... wonder if the journalist fully realise it applies to them too... especially as you see them very close at times in the studio... guess much worse behind the scenes, although they have an important role too but maybe video conf may work for them too.... and yes I see them as key workers to keep us informed...

It did for the multinational company I worked in years ago... very sophisticated equipment even down to being able to beam in holograms of persons if a one to many. Technology moved on a lot more since then as I retired over 10 years ago.

Australia has 25 million people and current produces enough food for 75 million. 

However, we’re buying at such a rapid rate that supermarkets are moving to reduced hours in order to restock and organise.

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

Australia has 25 million people and current produces enough food for 75 million. 

However, we’re buying at such a rapid rate that supermarkets are moving to reduced hours in order to restock and organise.

yep, daughter here in UK works for a large supermarket chain (finance department) and they are about to recruit large numbers of extra staff plus re-organise existing staff. e.g. she has been asked to work on the HR area dealing with sickness payroll side of things, given the huge increase in sickness/self isolation... BTW all sickness is on full pay, working assumption is every one is genuine, that is normal needs like sick notes etc are waived.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Schools anticipated to be off until September 2020. Situation grim.Not just London but whole of South East going into lockdown.

Sounds like the South East in for a particularly hard time. With characteristic generosity, I've added Peter Tatchell, Jo Brand and June Brown to the roster of old codger eyecandy  presenters on local news bulletins.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

These days farm workers, truck drivers, aged care workers, night fillers, uber eats riders etc are considered extremely valuable...

Previously few people care about them at all

don't forget the girls at the massage parlours

51 minutes ago, redjonn said:

It did for the multinational company I worked in years ago... very sophisticated equipment even down to being able to beam in holograms of persons if a one to many. Technology moved on a lot more since then as I retired over 10 years ago.

Our company is almost 100% working from home for the non-production teams. Just a couple of guys per site maintaining the IT systems. Microsoft Teams and VPN access to the office systems doing the trick.

We now have to see whether large scale WFH is viable over a  long period.

2 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

When they still had in store bakeries if you asked the baker sin Tesco they would give you some of their live yeast in a  little bag - dont know if any of your local supermarkets still bake in-house not just finish in ovens ?

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.  We've Allinsons dried yeast for about 10 loaves, but no fishes.?

Archived