coronavirus

On 16/03/2020 at 18:38, Copa said:

Australian researchers have treated COVID-19 patients with a Malaria drug and an old AIDS drug with great success.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

That didn’t take long..

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/coronavirus-donald-trump-announces-antimarial-drug-will-be-made-available-to-treat-illness/news-story/534405dcf8a621e75932bf8918b35922
Donald Trump has announced that two drugs could be a “gamechanger” in treating coronavirus and will be made available “almost immediately” by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

During a briefing with the coronavirus Taskforce at the White House, the US President said the antimalarial drugs — hydroxychloroquine and Cloroquine— would soon be available for “prescribed use”.

It’s been around for a long time, so we know if things don’t go as planned, it’s not going to kill anybody,” he said today.

“It’s shown encouraging very very early results.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just been ' self isolating ' in Witherspoon's with wife and lad , curries , bargees and a couple of pints of Burton Bridge Brewery ' Golden ' ?

Good to know that folks are taking things seriously!

Well, it's reassuring to know that the new government owned Northern Fail, having decided to cancel the Liverpool-Blackpool train totally, decides to shove the passengers who would normally catch that train on to the train I catch, make that train smaller, and turn it into the Covid Express.  Lovely!  I know that rush hour nowadays is not what it was in its hey day but cramming two train loads of what remains of the rush hour into three carriages still results in people being well within 2 metres of each other in an air conditioned hot house.  What joy.

And my employer has STILL not stopped the hot desking!

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

One thing I hadn’t envisaged is we are running low on disposable gloves at work. Obviously the NHS takes priority but no way can we operate without them as we use manky chemicals and what have you. 

Do you have to use disposable ones?  I don't know what you deal with but would it be possible to use re-usable gloves instead?  I can't see the disposable glove situation getting better anytime soon given the worldwide demand for them at the moment.

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just been ' self isolating ' in Witherspoon's with wife and lad , curries , bargees and a couple of pints of Burton Bridge Brewery ' Golden ' ?

I'd be careful; those bargees are not always the most hygienic people in the field of water-based freight.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Johnoco said:

You need a lot of dexterity so reusable ones are no good for certain things. Reusable ones are used too but for different tasks. 

Fair enough.  Could get tricky for your company in the coming months.  I'm hoping that there will be some remains of manufacturing capability in this country that may be able to turn their hand to making such things as disposable gloves, masks, etc as we are going to need one heck of a lot of them. 

9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You need a lot of dexterity so reusable ones are no good for certain things. Reusable ones are used too but for different tasks. 

As @Copa outlined a few posts ago.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Well they've just released a list of the key workers for schools.

In a nutshell it's about half the workforce. 

I understand the difficulties they are facing but tomorrow is Friday and most schools have little idea exactly what Monday is going to or is supposed to look like. 

29 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Well they've just released a list of the key workers for schools.

In a nutshell it's about half the workforce. 

I understand the difficulties they are facing but tomorrow is Friday and most schools have little idea exactly what Monday is going to or is supposed to look like. 

Have they, Matt Hancock said delayed until tomorrow on QT not very long ago?

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Have they, Matt Hancock said delayed until tomorrow on QT not very long ago?

My missus showed me a copy that her headteacher had shared; she only told me after she posted that it was from NI. They do seem to be quite in step with us though, so I'm not sure it will be much different.

Delaying until tomorrow seems crazy and way too late to be able to sort this out properly. Put it this way my school has identified around 120 children (out of 350) that they think might be eligible whereas my wife's school is expecting less than this despite being a 1600 pupil secondary school. School's basically have no idea what to do.

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

My missus showed me a copy that her headteacher had shared; she only told me after she posted that it was from NI. They do seem to be quite in step with us though, so I'm not sure it will be much different.

Delaying until tomorrow seems crazy and way too late to be able to sort this out properly. Put it this way my school has identified around 120 children (out of 350) that they think might be eligible whereas my wife's school is expecting less than this despite being a 1600 pupil secondary school. School's basically have no idea what to do.

I imagine the list published tomorrow will be v similar to that for NI. One thing that has come out is that only one parent needs to be classed as an essential worker for a child to be eligible. 

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I imagine the list published tomorrow will be v similar to that for NI. One thing that has come out is that only one parent needs to be classed as an essential worker for a child to be eligible. 

Whereas I know of schools that have already sent out the opposite.

The education secretary has suggested that schools will be open to around 10% of pupils, when these lists will mean many more.

There is also a great deal of confusion about what is expected to be done with these children. My school is planning on putting on a form of lessons but the Williamson was saying today it's more a case of childcare. 

An unbelievable number of priests dying in Italy. 

For these people, I genuinely hope they find their heaven. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

So much could be said about this, but that is for another time and another thread.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

39 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just watching on Sky the terrible situation in their hospitals in Lombardy.  Lots of everyone appear to be dying.  They've been allowed in one of the hospitals.  Their health service is decimated.  If that is what is coming our way then heaven help us.  I'd happily live in a lockdown to avoid what looks like a terrible pneumonia virus.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I watched earlier the Commons during "Business Questions" with Moggy and MP after MP stood up to explain why a particular group should be deemed as  "key" workers.

I am not suggesting  any of them should not be, but with this list it appears schools are staying open for everyone apart  from kids of lawyers, stockbrokers/city types, professional athletes.

So basically it is Monday as normal for teachers! 

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

They’re presumably working on other suppliers but it’s just an example of how this crisis has knock on effects you hadn’t even considered. 

Worth ringing Arco on Bowling Back Lane and Screwfix a bit further up Wakefield Road?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I'd happily live in a lockdown to avoid what looks like a terrible pneumonia virus.

I think I said that my sister had the symptoms of covid-19?

We face-timed yesterday. She's a very healthy 48 year old who is a regular runner, served for 20+ years in the forces and does all sorts of 'out and about' stuff.

Watching what the condition has done to her was devastating. She will (almost certainly) be fine but it is a brutal, horrible condition and you can see why anyone is at risk.

We should be doing all we can to stop it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It takes a crisis to properly identify who is a “key worker”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived