coronavirus

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

To protect from accidental overdose, anything over 16 (or is it 32?) paracetamol are Pharmacy Only Medicines or Prescription Only. By splitting them into small boxes of 16, they can turn decent stocks of restricted stuff into consumer stuff. It'll not be bottles I'd have thought, just strips put into generic boxes.

Understand the 16 rule. The woman being interviewed was head of the Royal Soc of Pharmacists and when asked specifically about brown bottles she replied 'yes' if needed as not all bulk is in blister packs. They will have to be purchased from the counter (not shelf stock) and a record made. She also commented that they were in the process of disseminating the info so not to be surprised if your local pharmacist was unaware.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Good job they didn't see the ibuprofen or naproxen then...... 

Ibuprofen will get a sigh most likely, naproxen less so due to its nature but still nowhere near the attention you'd get over paracetamol!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, ckn said:

So, not taking up the government's offer to take loans to keep going? Surprising for a big company (no sarcasm!)

Best wishes for what this means for you!

The loans are a bit of a joke and are no solution to what is happening.

Yes they are government backed but the usual lending criteria will pretty much be the same, so Personal Guarantees, forecasts etc (how are we supposed to forecast?)

Boris asking companies to please keep the staff but then saying the solution is to take up a loan to do so??

What the Government should have done is the same as Ireland - total freezings on VAT and PAYE payments for 3 months, that would have given businesses an instant cash flow injection, which knows when these grants and loans will actually make their way into the businesses accounts - way too long to matter I suspect

Enforced Isolation here in Spain does not allow you to take walks on the beach. You can not go out for a walk at any time. You can take your dog out for a toilet break, in other words if you have a garden let it out there,if not take it to the nearest suitable spot,clean up after it and return straight home.Ignore these directives and you are looking at a big fine.With repeat offenders receiving a massive fine and a custodial sentence. Just this last couple of days in my area 31 people have been detained and fined for walking around.By the way,all the beaches are cordoned off,you can not go on them.

Spidey ,Isolation is meant to be staying indoors. Social distancing is keeping yourself away from others,at a distance in other words.Not Isolation,social distancing. The two women I have mentioned are not Isolating like they have been asked,here in Spain,told.How can you defend anybody who has no respect for others,what if they get the virus and passes it on to somebody else who dies,is that acceptable in your eyes?

31 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The loans are a bit of a joke and are no solution to what is happening.

Yes they are government backed but the usual lending criteria will pretty much be the same, so Personal Guarantees, forecasts etc (how are we supposed to forecast?)

Boris asking companies to please keep the staff but then saying the solution is to take up a loan to do so??

What the Government should have done is the same as Ireland - total freezings on VAT and PAYE payments for 3 months, that would have given businesses an instant cash flow injection, which knows when these grants and loans will actually make their way into the businesses accounts - way too long to matter I suspect

to be honest the freezing of vat and paye won't do anything to save my daughters business... she knows the VAT freezing is a given whether she needs to ask or if its automatic... the PAYE payments are minor compared to the net wages and again whether she needs to ask or its automatic she takes that as a given as in even normal times their flexible on that. . She hoping to see some support for staff wages... that's the important one plus the mechanics of it.

So I don't think just replicating the things you mention Ireland are doing is that much help... better than nowt but in reality not make much difference to normal flexibility in the system.

4 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Spidey ,Isolation is meant to be staying indoors. Social distancing is keeping yourself away from others,at a distance in other words.Not Isolation,social distancing. The two women I have mentioned are not Isolating like they have been asked,here in Spain,told.How can you defend anybody who has no respect for others,what if they get the virus and passes it on to somebody else who dies,is that acceptable in your eyes?

Whoah there a minute. That’s not what I said at all. Maybe I didn’t understand the whole context from your first post but please don’t twist my words like that

16 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Enforced Isolation here in Spain does not allow you to take walks on the beach. You can not go out for a walk at any time. You can take your dog out for a toilet break, in other words if you have a garden let it out there,if not take it to the nearest suitable spot,clean up after it and return straight home.Ignore these directives and you are looking at a big fine.With repeat offenders receiving a massive fine and a custodial sentence. Just this last couple of days in my area 31 people have been detained and fined for walking around.By the way,all the beaches are cordoned off,you can not go on them.

is that blanket across the country or in certain cities or area's...

e.g. where I live the country lanes are almost always empty.. to take an extreme so I guess talking about more populated places

3 hours ago, ckn said:

I'm by no means even a knowledgeable amateur on this so apologies for the clarification questions here:

Does this mean that the government wouldn't just have to act as guarantor but provide direct liquidity funds to the banks? Would they do this through zero-interest loans to the banks where the banks would pay back as debtors repaid?

Do you know a better way to do it if you were in charge?

Government will likely take on some or most of the risk, but the question still remains, where does the liquidity come from? As you alllude to, do the government or central banks give the banks the cash.. i sincerely doubt it. Bond issuance maybe, but probably not. 

3 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Post Basel3 they are in a much better place

If the liquidity rules are relaxed all that stored liquidity ensured by Basel3 is released to cope with the crisis - that was exactly why it was implemented (Brother is subject matter expert in this called in to give treasury advice on it re Brexit)

Basel 3 meant over double the reserves they had to hold under Basel 2

Aye. Much better place in terms of client money but not from a profitability perspective. No chance in my view that the basel 3 guidelines will be softened. No chance.. theyre in play to make sure that banks have confidence in each other as well as the client safe guarding. Against this backdrop (lots and lots of BGs & LCs being issued recently as well) and a movement away from rates benchmarking (usd libor o/n etc) that confidence is everything. 

Summary.. i havent the foggiest idea on how a stimulus package actually gets to where its meant to go. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Redjohn,

The whole country. As far as I am aware there are no exception anywhere in Spain to the Royal Decree. I would think there will be a lot more people both contacting the disease and being detained for ignoring the decreeinthe bigger cities,but yes the whole country is in lockdown, all schools shut,all bars,restaurants,shops, except supermarkets. All markets which of course Spain is well known for along with all fiestas,all sports, gymnasiums everything.The only exceptions are Supermarkets, Pharmacies, Banks, Petrol Stations ,Medical Centres. The only people allowed to work are associated with the places open and food suppliers,e.g  Farmers and the people working in the fields harvesting the fruit and veg etc. and the drivers and workers who process and deliver the supplies to the stores.

Redjohn,

I have just heard a report on the radio that on the 24th March (Tuesday) the borders are to be closed and they are advising anybody who is not resident either and wants to go back to their own country need to get out now. After next Tueday it will be to late.

7 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Redjohn,

I have just heard a report on the radio that on the 24th March (Tuesday) the borders are to be closed and they are advising anybody who is not resident either and wants to go back to their own country need to get out now. After next Tueday it will be to late.

gosh... I guess those type of restrictions will be coming here.. as forewarned or sign posted at the Press Conf.... I'm guessing key to maintaining is timing together with how much time can maintain such restrictions...

More pressure is building to go sooner than later here, but I'm guessing how long it can be maintained is crucial as to when implemented.  Its easier to shout for restrictions now... but those same people/politicians will be the first to moan when they have been on for a period

25 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Government will likely take on some or most of the risk,

I doubt they will 

https://www.british-business-bank.co.uk/ourpartners/coronavirus-business-interruption-loan-scheme-cbils/

"The scheme provides the lender with a government-backed guarantee against the outstanding facility balance, potentially enabling a ‘no’ credit decision from a lender to become a ‘yes’. NB – the borrower always remains 100% liable for the debt."

So if the borrower defaults, the government is liable for the facility balance. Its taking the risk.

Still.. no reason for the bank to lend at these rates. The principles arent enough for 1 single bank Treasury to be bothered about in my view

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

14 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

How long before its forced lockdown?

All depends on the f***wits. If voluntary doesn't work then force it and follow the methods of other places. Someone arrested and jailed today for refusing to isolate on Isle of Man, someone who'd come over from Merseyside into IoM's strict rules on people coming in.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

So if the borrower defaults, the government is liable for the facility balance. Its taking the risk.

Still.. no reason for the bank to lend at these rates. The principles arent enough for 1 single bank Treasury to be bothered about in my view

I read that as the borrower was liable and the bank would go after them, but the government would pick up bad debts. That's why I've seen reports of banks still pushing for directors' guarantees. If the government truly backed these and wanted to instil SME confidence then the insistence would be to loan without these guarantees.

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

All depends on the f***wits. If voluntary doesn't work then force it and follow the methods of other places. Someone arrested and jailed today for refusing to isolate on Isle of Man, someone who'd come over from Merseyside into IoM's strict rules on people coming in.

this weekend will be an example of how the public are going to react to this, sunny early spring weekend on the cards after a miserable cold wet winter, are people gonna stay in? well some of my mates are in the pub already others planning on having mates round over the weekend, the british are a different breed to the Italians French and Chinese and don't easily do as they are told or expected, its not in our nature and that's what put the great in Britain, our gig has been cancelled tomorrow nite but that doesn't mean we will be sat at home 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

US team members being called individual meetings right now.  Different laws over there, they can pretty much get rid you on the spot.  

And our usual 4:30 has been put back by 15.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

this weekend will be an example of how the public are going to react to this, sunny early spring weekend on the cards after a miserable cold wet winter, are people gonna stay in? well some of my mates are in the pub already others planning on having mates round over the weekend, the british are a different breed to the Italians French and Chinese and don't easily do as they are told or expected, its not in our nature and that's what put the great in Britain, our gig has been cancelled tomorrow nite but that doesn't mean we will be sat at home 

Well, you, sir, are a backside and one of the main reasons why the virus will continue to kill people, putting my friends and colleagues in the NHS at mortal peril just because you're such a rebel that you have to prove how tough you are by going out.

You're not tough, you're a grade A imbecile.

I sincerely regret clearing my ignore list to see what's going on otherwise I'd have missed this. Back on again and this time permanently.

23 minutes ago, ckn said:

I read that as the borrower was liable and the bank would go after them, but the government would pick up bad debts. That's why I've seen reports of banks still pushing for directors' guarantees. If the government truly backed these and wanted to instil SME confidence then the insistence would be to loan without these guarantees.

Yep that's what Ive been told, there's no difference to the borrower at all from a normal loan.

I am not going to put my house up as a guarantee to pay staff wages and I suspect not many would in this situation, these loans are pointless in reality but made good soundbites at the press conference

26 minutes ago, ckn said:

Some of all ages seem to either believe that social distancing doesn't apply to them or don't understand what it actually means. I'm not sure that allowing pubs etc to remain open helps wrt getting the message across but I can see enforcement coming fairly quickly

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Great to see you are thinking about others and not just yourself in this time of crisis.

And yes I am being very sarcastic, you may not think theres nothing to worry about and  that not doing what you are told is big and clever, but, it really isn't. No one is saying lock yourself in your house but maybe just try act responsible and limit contact with other people, this isn't all about you

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

Well, you, sir, are a backside and one of the main reasons why the virus will continue to kill people, putting my friends and colleagues in the NHS at mortal peril just because you're such a rebel that you have to prove how tough you are by going out.

You're not tough, you're a grade A imbecile.

I sincerely regret clearing my ignore list to see what's going on otherwise I'd have missed this. Back on again and this time permanently.

I never said I was tough, I was just posting what was going on around me, I never said we were going on a pub crawl sat nite either, calm down dear or the worry will kill you well before the bad cold.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived