coronavirus

1 minute ago, Wolford6 said:

Something must have happened to really spook the government. Schools, pubs and restaurants to shut this weekend. Not closed for a fixed term; the situation will be reviewed in a month ... i.e. we are in this for the long haul.

You only have to read at least one of the posts above to see why they've had to enforce a shutdown - although why they thought (or really were advised, as I don't believe any politician actually understands the mentality of a not insignificant part of the population) it not necessary to start with is beyond me.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given this is the non political arm of the coronavirus prevention army and therefore neutral and at times lighthearted, how about this. 

What about people with no mortgages, who don't pay rent, who don't work etc. What are the powers that be doing for them? ?

Just now, JohnM said:

Given this is the non political arm of the coronavirus prevention army and therefore neutral and at times lighthearted, how about this. 

What about people with no mortgages, who don't pay rent, who don't work etc. What are the powers that be doing for them? ?

Doing their best to keep you alive by keeping the f***wits away from you! ?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

They are just glad to get you off the streets.??

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It will decimate a thriving scene and even if they do survive, will the pubs be there to sell too?

It's not just pubs, once people get in the habit of making food at home regularly then restaurants may struggle to recover. Normally on a Friday we get a takeaway in so we don't have to cook, not doing that now.

It MAY improve the nation's health though once the hoarding chaos stops and people get sick and fed up of boring food.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

29 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Didn't realise the panic buying was for petrol as well. I was down to below a quarter tank so drove into a Sainsburys petrol station this afternoon, 12 multi pumps, 6 had 'Sorry, no petrol' signs on them, all diesel seemed ok.  I filled up and spoke to the girl in the shop.  She had been ' told in confidence' by a young girl who had bought £6 worth of petrol to keep her tank filled up yesterday, that it had been  posted on social media that "all the petrol delivery drivers had come down with Corona virus and that there was no one to deliver petrol" ... and these numb nutz believed it as the panic buying started. The young lass must have thought I looked a bit gullible as she assured me that there was enough petrol to go round and no problems with deliveries.

You’d think that’s the last thing folk should panic buy !

14 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Something must have happened to really spook the government.

The surge in cases, and deaths, in London especially, was, I suspect, the final straw.

You can't downplay it and you can't politely request that people don't go to the pub or the gym when, clearly, they think that as they aren't sick right now they're showing some bizarre Blitz spirit in defying common sense.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Doing their best to keep you alive by keeping the f***wits away from you! ?

They're not doing enough and need to do more, especially make sure the rumours I've heard that my old workplace will be in touch soon to ask me to go back and help out aren't true - unless the price is right of course, there's money to be made in times of crisis etc...….?

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Bradford (population ~500,000) has risen to seven today. They probably had additional health issues.

On the face of it, hardly a trigger to shut up shop for several months.

Like I said, something must be really spooking the government.

Just now, Wolford6 said:

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Bradford (population ~500,00) has risen to seven today. They probably had additional health issues.

Seriously, don't believe the figures. They aren't testing people.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Theory: Some still haven't understood the situation...….

11 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Bradford (population ~500,00) has risen to seven today. They probably had additional health issues.

QED

I know of a few with all the symptoms being diagnosed over the phone via 111 they’ll only get tested if their symptoms get worse and get admitted to hospital. We have absolutely no idea how many have been infected by this virus

34 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Something must have happened to really spook the government. Schools, pubs and restaurants to shut this weekend. Not closed for a fixed term; the situation will be reviewed in a month ... i.e. we are in this for the long haul.

Or people didn’t take the hints & recommendations 

One minute the government wants to establish a herd immunity to Coronavirus. It wants the herd to be focussed on young people who are fairly resistant to it.

The next minute the government shuts all the schools, bars, pubs and clubs. This will delay the formation of the herd that will protect the overall population.

One minute the government wants to establish a herd immunity to Coronavirus. It wants the herd to be focussed on young people who are fairly resistant to it.

The next minute the government shuts all the schools, bars, pubs and clubs. This will delay tthe formation of the herd that will protect the overall population.

No they didn't.

The next minute the government shuts all the schools, bars, pubs and clubs. This will delay tthe formation of the herd that will protect the overall population.

No... It will stop six figures of people dying. Literally stop them from dying. It may mean a year of really tough conditions and lock-downs but it'll be worth it.

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

Didn't realise the panic buying was for petrol as well. I was down to below a quarter tank so drove into a Sainsburys petrol station this afternoon, 12 multi pumps, 6 had 'Sorry, no petrol' signs on them, all diesel seemed ok.  I filled up and spoke to the girl in the shop.  She had been ' told in confidence' by a young girl who had bought £6 worth of petrol to keep her tank filled up yesterday, that it had been  posted on social media that "all the petrol delivery drivers had come down with Corona virus and that there was no one to deliver petrol" ... and these numb nutz believed it as the panic buying started. The young lass must have thought I looked a bit gullible as she assured me that there was enough petrol to go round and no problems with deliveries.

In the current climate I'd imagine the country is only using a fraction of the petrol and diesel that it currently would. I don't see any issues at all.

40 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

They are just glad to get you off the streets.??

Aw shucks. I just LURVE teetering at the kerb leaving drivers wondering if I'm going to step out or not.  The are taking away my inalienable right to  block the isles at Lidl by leaving my trolley in the middle whilst I ponder buying one egg or six,  or one banana or two.

For the people who hark back to WW2  - this is a small taste of what that must have been like.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

38 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The next minute the government shuts all the schools, bars, pubs and clubs. This will delay the formation of the herd that will protect the overall population.

Where did they actually state that

Archived