coronavirus

Driving tests suspended for 3 months.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

No fuel shortages round here. Local filling station (Spar) reports higher sales than normal. Diesel is £1.17 per litre. 

Local =5 miles away. 

I just paid £1.21! Where'd you live? It might be far enough for me to drive over and empty the tank so I can fill up and save some money...…..?

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Something must have happened to really spook the government. Schools, pubs and restaurants to shut this weekend. Not closed for a fixed term; the situation will be reviewed in a month ... i.e. we are in this for the long haul.

Yes, it happened about a week ago when new data came out of Italy showing that more people ended up on the critical list than had first been realised and, added to that, the numbers of deaths in the UK was rising faster than the models had anticipated.Apparently a potential hot spot is developing in the West Midlands as well as in London. 

Reports say that Boris came close to ordering the shut down of pubs etc when he advised us to stay out of them but he balked at the idea of being a PM who ordered people to stay out of their pub.  However, it became clear that many people were not responding to the request and so the order was inevitable.  Those people include my boss at work, a middle aged man, and three of my colleagues who all went out for a beer tonight and said they would continue to do so until the government shut the pubs.  Keep in mind those four people are civil servants.

I was stunned to see on TV tonight a teacher hugging her students as they closed the school today.  No idea where the school was but what a fine example she set her students.  Not.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

One minute the government wants to establish a herd immunity to Coronavirus. It wants the herd to be focussed on young people who are fairly resistant to it.

The next minute the government shuts all the schools, bars, pubs and clubs. This will delay the formation of the herd that will protect the overall population.

THe Government want to have herd immunity as a strategy would mean letting it run free and losing about 500,000 people as collateral. I suggest that is not a desired scenario.

The only way of avoiding herd immunity is to let people not get infected.

Seriously, I know far more about this that almost every expert columnist that you read, and I do not know the answers. It is why, despite my bias, I am absolutely not condemning the Goverment for their actions nor their inactions.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Damien said:

In the current climate I'd imagine the country is only using a fraction of the petrol and diesel that it currently would. I don't see any issues at all.

This is not a pandemic to end the world, but that playbook is being referenced. Of course, I have had a few beers, so please excuse me!

From when I was involved in writing this stuff, the people to keep safe were first and foremost the truckers and their needs. After that, plumbers, electricians and telecom workers and all the support staff. Truckers need fuel, so diesel will be an absolute priority, and petrol will be associated with that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just on the phone to Sky to try and sort out my broadband. Naturally their 'technical' (in the loosest possible sense) support is based in Bulgaria. The person I spoke to was a lovely fella who didn't really know what he was talking about but I didn't have the heart to tell him. Anyhow he started to ask me about the situation here and tell me about the situation there and was noticeably concerned and quite distraught. He said normally there are 200 people in that call centre and there were less than 50 there tonight. He also said that military action was due to start tonight, whatever that entails. Its a country that I haven't heard mentioned in all this but it really just brought home the global scale of this fight and how everyone the world over is fearful.

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Had to go to Morrisons on way home from work (only chance) absolutely jack on the shelves food wise.  Hardly any booze, crisps, snacks etc etc all gone. 

Most bizarre imo was that all the bottled water was gone. What sort of utter clit for brains panic buys water??  

Thats a new one on me! Thanks...to be used again

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Had to go to Morrisons on way home from work (only chance) absolutely jack on the shelves food wise.  Hardly any booze, crisps, snacks etc etc all gone. 

Most bizarre imo was that all the bottled water was gone. What sort of utter clit for brains panic buys water??  

See earlier posts about hoaxes about people saying water supplies may be at risk. And people believing it. 

Hoaxers who create these things should be subjected to summary punishment of repeated punts to the private’s from people who can’t get stuff due to others hoarding. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

46 minutes ago, ckn said:

See earlier posts about hoaxes about people saying water supplies may be at risk. And people believing it. 

Hoaxers who create these things should be subjected to summary punishment of repeated punts to the private’s from people who can’t get stuff due to others hoarding. 

This virus is enough to put people off buying corona lager and they are right to think they will not want to drink it. Equally, they might feel better having bottled water at home.

Announcement from the WHO aimed at the 'younger' members of society:

"One of the things we are learning is that although older people are the hardest hit, younger people are not spared," Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva.

"Data from many countries clearly shows that people under 50 make up a significant proportion of patients requiring hospitalisation.

"Today, I have a message for young people: you are not invincible. This virus could put you in hospital for weeks, or even kill you"

He added: "Even if you don’t get sick, the choices you make about where you go could be the difference between life and death for someone else."

Sydney, yesterday.

It’s very very frustrating to see this. We are being hammered with social distancing guidelines, we can see what’s happening overseas, the number of cases here are increasing .... yet many simply don’t listen.

7FADDE58-E09A-425A-A96B-D5D33CA2E4FE.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Celt said:

I think a lot more British people need to have that conversation that you had with the Bulgarian guy (or someone similar).

There was some halfwit on here yesterday genuinely believing the Boris Johnson guff about 'the science changing' etc etc, and trying to lecture about "every country being different". (They are.... But in Europe, only very slightly in terms of transmission conditions).

Countries like Bulgaria are about 10 days ahead of the UK. The Brits and Swedes appear to be outliers in terms of "doing very little". (And a lot of Swedes live in comparative wilderness, in their defence). Already a week ago, flights into Bulgaria had been slashed, and severe controls were in place around movement of people. 

The stats in Europe are exponential. The infection (recorded) is basically doubling every 2 days in Benelux, Germany etc. That is recorded stats - ie tested people. In Luxembourg, if the current rate continues, then basically the entire population will have the virus in about 20 days time.

The pictures I see on social networks of people in the UK drinking in bars or going to gyms etc, are hard to comprehend from a European perspective. Over here, the streets of major cities such as Brussels, are absolutely deserted, and have been for over a week. 

FFS - what is wrong with the Brits?? The only way any country can stop it's health service being overwhelmed is to delay/minimise the transmission. Yet we see people 'heading out for a few beers' on a Friday night. Or posting pictures of themselves in a gym, asking why it is so quiet!! Is your media actually explaining the gravity of the situation? Clearly it is doing so in countries like Bulgaria.

My idiot brother in law posted a pic just now of him in a pub with his mates. F***wit imbecile. He’s the same imbecile who turned up at our gran’s funeral in his jeans and couldn’t understand why people wanted to beat him. And my sister who keeps defending his imbecility. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Went to Asda this afternoon, usually its heaving then but the car park was fairly empty, inside it was quiet too, the expected empty shelves for toilet rolls, cleaning products and suchlike. Managed to get everything I wanted except for egg's, shelves completely empty, am I missing something here?     You can't freeze egg's so they have a fairly short shelf life so those hoarding them will have to use them soon; are hens going on strike?  There's going to be a lot of egg bound people about so whats the urgency for toilet rolls.

I asked one of the staff where the Friday afternoon rush was, she said  they all come in the mornings, and they hoped they had all run out of money or space.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A friend of a friend is a confirmed case. Now my friend has not been to work for a few days and I’m wondering what’s going on..
The mother of my mother’s friend has it in Ireland. She’s elderly so it’s not looking good.

It’s getting closer.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I just paid £1.21! Where'd you live? It might be far enough for me to drive over and empty the tank so I can fill up and save some money...…..?

My latest fill up was 116.7 in Retford this week. That’s some comedown in recent weeks. 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

You’d think that’s the last thing folk should panic buy !

It's normally the one of the very 1st things to go in any kind of crisis or emergency. I'm really surprised the pumps aren't dry. Yet the beer and larger shelves are empty!

Archived