coronavirus

I’m now off to steal a very small amount of toilet paper for my family from a public toilet. Just enough for a day or two until I can find some of the stuff in the shops.

I cannot believe my life has come to this. It’s degrading and appalling. Upsetting really.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I filled up today at Tesco. Then got their last gallon can of Ad Blu.

The next rumour that folk will believe is that the vac machine is being rationed to one use per person per week. Would be a great bit of marketing to lull in all the mugs. 

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I think part of the problem why people are reluctant to take it as seriously as they should is that we’ve had a few scares that turned out to be not that serious. Bird flu, millennium bug etc etc. So when something genuinely bad comes along, many people (initially me included) roll their eyes and say ‘what another one?’

When something is mitigated through the actions of scientists and experts and with lots of money being spent it doesn't mean it didn't happen and the threat wasn't real. It means people who were in charge and knew what they were doing applied their minds to it. That's what happened to swine flu, ebola, the millenium bug, the ozone layer - we prevented bad things happening.

Unfortunately this is a much more slippery enemy, and too many of the world's political leaders are unsuited to the matter at hand.

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Had to go to Morrisons on way home from work (only chance) absolutely jack on the shelves food wise.  Hardly any booze, crisps, snacks etc etc all gone. 

Most bizarre imo was that all the bottled water was gone. What sort of utter clit for brains panic buys water??  

Water is the absolute most important survival item after oxygen. 

5 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Something must have happened to really spook the government. Schools, pubs and restaurants to shut this weekend. Not closed for a fixed term; the situation will be reviewed in a month ... i.e. we are in this for the long haul.

too be honest and like others I have listened intently to each press conference whether the daily one or the recent science focused one plus select committees it has clearly been sign posted that each step would be happening.

Timing as we all know is a balancing act, especially if one put brains in gear and try and think of every aspect... something I ain't good at either. 

Also critical is the communications... if you communicate everything in one go and definitively announce every step... key aspects get lost in the hub bub. It's essential to keep it as simple as possible because you also know its likely to be miss-reported otherwise. Then step it up with limited next step guidance or likely direction so its not a total surprise when it comes. Then again with the new steps being implemented...etc I know I am saying the obvious but in their sometime wild state people don't think it through.

Then you have to contend with the miss-reporting or so called experts or representative groups championing their own area harping away adding further confusion.

In China its easy to tell them to shut up, lock them up and shut down internet if needed ... easy to control.

You also have to give some form of hope... hence you hear leaders saying we can beat this.. or as Boris clearly said turn the tide towards or at the peak in about 12 weeks time... but only if people adhere to advice.  Absolutely clear what he said... but then some journalists report it different or people looking to take political advantage and you could be excused for thinking he said this will be totally beaten and its all back to normal in 12 weeks time...

The government/ all governments need to give hope and prevent total despair whilst not hiding the drama to come... Even the WHO tries to give hope and not total despair..

I know I'm stating the obvious but I do think sometimes we all need to sit back and think through what and why things are said by leaders... the leaders guiding us are fully aware of all aspects, with key experts feeding through the SAGE structure from which decisions and communications approach are decided. Every official press conf has made it very clear we are in this for the long haul, particular as they have clearly said they have to think about the sustainability measures for long period-on its own are clear steer that it a long haul...

Sorry just getting some frustration off my chest having had a few emotional discussions with family, some taking too much note of social media and their state of anxiety fix's on the doomsday and confusing froth out their.

I'm with GKN on what should be down with some people out their...

11% I've been monitoring that figure all week, it's rising quickly. Coupled with China's bulls@@t, which I happen to think is keeping it lower. Once that figure reaches 20% I'm stopping work & battening down the hatches, except for shopping for essentials (and not in panic or bulk.) When UK confirmed cases reach 50k infected I'll be out shopping with face mask & disposable gloves. If I can I will volunteer to deliver essentials to people who are elderly or have serious underlying health issues. 

Screenshot_20200320-234658_Samsung Internet.jpg

There does seem to be a pattern. Have a look at who Hodges is grumbling at in this thread. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Celt said:

Brexit voter I assume?

No actually. SNP cybernag (sic). And a f***ing boring one at that. I’m relatively pro-SNP but he makes me want to grind them into electoral oblivion with the utter pish he keeps putting out. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, Celt said:

Is your brother Scottish? Or just lives there?

Brother in law. Not blood. Glaswegian. 

5 minutes ago, Celt said:

My apologies. He sounds like a Pucktard.

That’s probably the nicest thing I’ve heard him called in a long time. 

17 minutes ago, Celt said:

Smudger:

"Once that figure reaches 20% I'm stopping work & battening down the hatches, except for shopping for essentials (and not in panic or bulk.)"

This is exactly what i was talking about in my previous post. What you have described is what most of continental Europe has been doing for fully a week now. (Non-essential workers are normally working from home, or on split team basis admittedly, and not "stopping work" completely). Yet we have people in the UK talk about "shopping only for essentials" once the death rate gets to 20%. 

It is like the UK is a parallel world to everywhere else. (Except maybe Trump's America).

We have already split the workforce. 

No, I said I'm stopping work and battening down the hatches when it reaches 20% unless I'm ordered to do it sooner. That's my personal cut off point even if the government allow work to continue at that point. The main reason to help out in other areas and secondly to not catch it / spread it. The Continental Europeans are shopping for essentials, which is what I will do wether you like it or not because, well it's essential to shop for essentials.  

I've got an HGV licence but no indate Tacograph card or CPC, but will drive supply chain if it comes to it rather than volunteer delivering to the elderly. 

I reckon you could start a COVID-19 Politics thread or just post about politics in the political thread. We know you like to think the worst about a lot of this country but nows really not the time for that. 

Sainsburys reducing store hours too 8am to 8pm.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

55 minutes ago, ckn said:

There does seem to be a pattern.

Guess which way Ant Middleton went? ?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Anybody watch Gogglebox last night? One of the shows under review included a top NHS bod at a news conference saying the plan was to build up a herd resistance.

I'm going with the panic stricken government's recommendations, not least because my brother-in-law has had a kidney transplant and his post-op drug regime leaves him with little immunity. However,  I'm expecting it to prove a complete over-reaction that will drive thousands of decent people out of work and business.

I'm going to make some time during the home-incarceration to compile a list of people who I wouldn't mind catching it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Had to go to Morrisons on way home from work (only chance) absolutely jack on the shelves food wise.  Hardly any booze, crisps, snacks etc etc all gone. 

Most bizarre imo was that all the bottled water was gone. What sort of utter clit for brains panic buys water??  

Went to the one in Blackburn on my way home yesterday. Didn't leave with much. Went in primarily for chick peas (I do my own hummus) but no joy. The 'World Food' aisles were blitzed.

Managed to snag the last 2kg bag of rice on the shelf although the real brucie was I also managed to get a 10pack of Thatchers Haze.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

13 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Brother in law owns a successful award winning micro brewery.  He is not sure if he will survive.  

Publish details, we could all put an order in online for a slab of self medication to help his business and to help pass the time in isolation. Win - win

9 hours ago, Celt said:

I think a lot more British people need to have that conversation that you had with the Bulgarian guy (or someone similar).

There was some halfwit on here yesterday genuinely believing the Boris Johnson guff about 'the science changing' etc etc, and trying to lecture about "every country being different". (They are.... But in Europe, only very slightly in terms of transmission conditions).

Countries like Bulgaria are about 10 days ahead of the UK. The Brits and Swedes appear to be outliers in terms of "doing very little". (And a lot of Swedes live in comparative wilderness, in their defence). Already a week ago, flights into Bulgaria had been slashed, and severe controls were in place around movement of people. 

The stats in Europe are exponential. The infection (recorded) is basically doubling every 2 days in Benelux, Germany etc. That is recorded stats - ie tested people. In Luxembourg, if the current rate continues, then basically the entire population will have the virus in about 20 days time.

The pictures I see on social networks of people in the UK drinking in bars or going to gyms etc, are hard to comprehend from a European perspective. Over here, the streets of major cities such as Brussels, are absolutely deserted, and have been for over a week. 

FFS - what is wrong with the Brits?? The only way any country can stop it's health service being overwhelmed is to delay/minimise the transmission. Yet we see people 'heading out for a few beers' on a Friday night. Or posting pictures of themselves in a gym, asking why it is so quiet!! Is your media actually explaining the gravity of the situation? Clearly it is doing so in countries like Bulgaria.

WTF? The Boris Johnson guff? Politics creeping in here. There is another forum for that. 

Given the apparent difficulty of getting the message out to those in the younger age bracket who don't  watch the broadcast media but who do make great use of their mobile phones, perhaps we should be inundating those users with the messages. 

7 hours ago, ckn said:

I’m sure he posts on here. 

Godfrey first went into a pub after the Beatles had released Sergeant Pepper, if you want to get a handle on his expertise in this area.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Given the apparent difficulty of getting the message out to those in the younger age bracket who don't  watch the broadcast media but who do make great use of their mobile phones, perhaps we should be inundating those users with the messages. 

That’s a very good point and really should be happening. I get alerts from my surgery for example.

I would presume any public health messaging is going out via Insta as well as those that prematurely old people like me use.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

First 2 deaths here in Singapore.

It had been ticking along at a consistent rate for a couple of months; in total about 250 cases, half recovered and sent home, the other half still in hospital. Then a big spike beginning on Wednesday, with 40-ish per day, and I think we're at 390 or so cases now. 75% of the new cases are people returning to Singapore from other countries, which was expected as the virus spread around the world.

The Mrs and I have been working from home this week, which was 'interesting'. Let's just say we have different working styles. Thankfully, she's back in the office on Monday because I'm told getting a divorce can be expensive.

In all honesty, our main concern surrounds family back in the UK. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived