coronavirus

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed.

I had a drink with friends over Skype yesterday. Tonight, my wife and I will be having dinner with another couple over Skype. It is a little comical, but hardly a sacrifice. There are plenty who have no choice of lack the capacity to understand. We are in a great position compared to them.

Yup. Having my first pint with friends online this evening.

Lunch with mum tomorrow for mother's day.

(There are some on the wrong side of the digital divide for whom this isn't possible but given that one of my friends spent part of yesterday in his mum's garden shouting instructions for how to install the right software onto her computer, most can do something that way.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am self-isolating!

However ... from the internet:

Currently, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, the incubation period for the novel coronavirus is somewhere between 2 to 14 days after exposure.

According to a recent reportTrusted Source, more than 97 percent of people who contract SARS-CoV-2 show symptoms within 11.5 days of exposure. The average incubation period seems to be around 5 days. However, this estimate may change as we learn more about the virus.

For many people, COVID-19 symptoms start as mild symptoms and gradually get worse over a few days.

It seems to me that, after a month or six weeks everyone who is infected will have been identified and treated. All things being equal, we should then be able to go back to normal. Odd cases will arise from infections gained abroad and where someone has slipped through the net but there would be no reason to continue punishing people, commerce and industry.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

44 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

This is what gets me with the self righteousness on here. I have to work as I work in a supermarket where there will 300 numb nuts stockpiling on Monday. Am guilty of allegedly spreading the virus? 

No... you’re an essential worker providing a critical service. There’s a difference to snuggling up to your best bud consoling yourself over a pint. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I am self-isolating!

However ... from the internet:

Currently, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, the incubation period for the novel coronavirus is somewhere between 2 to 14 days after exposure.

According to a recent reportTrusted Source, more than 97 percent of people who contract SARS-CoV-2 show symptoms within 11.5 days of exposure. The average incubation period seems to be around 5 days. However, this estimate may change as we learn more about the virus.

For many people, COVID-19 symptoms start as mild symptoms and gradually get worse over a few days.

It seems to me that, after a month or six weeks everyone who is infected will have been identified and treated. All things being equal, we should then be able to go back to normal. Odd cases will arise from infections gained abroad and where someone has slipped through the net but there would be no reason to continue punishing people, commerce and industry.

The first case in the UK was 31/1/20. The first case in Italy was 30/1/20. We are approaching 2 months in the UK and are still no way near the peak. There is absolutely nothing to suggest we will be back to normal in a month or 6 weeks.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think even needs expanding. The chances are you'd survive. There's a 1 in 150 chance you wouldn't (roughly, give or take). That survival might be straightforward or you might be one of the many people who survives only after a period of hospitalisation or after taking an absolute pounding (and not in a good way) at home.

A big concern we’re having is we can’t discharge folk who’ve survived but can’t get off high oxygen dependency. There’s simply no clue what’ll happen long term with many of these people or whether the damage is permanent. Another complication for tomorrow. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

34 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The positive side of lockdown is I'm keeping my daughter off my computer, and I'm starting to work on stories I'm writing.

One I've called Dzaxion, which is a dodgy middle ages fight & flight kind of stuff, which will culminate in a song by Johnny Cash, say it out loud, I put it on the music thread years ago.

46 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You’re missing the point mate. I’m pretty strong and fit physically and if I got the virus, chances are I’d stick one on it and it would be gone. 

But it’s not just about the effects on you, I could be passing it on to someone blissfully unaware. Who in turn could pass it on to a susceptible relative or friend. Yadda yadda yadda. Is going for a pint *that* important? As a confirmed p-head, I say it’s not.

An otherwise healthy Australian in his 30s just died with it. He got the flu around the same time and that was enough for the coronavirus to kill him.

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Do you think the planet is trolling us?

A122A38B-0FAB-424F-B0BE-39AA03B121EE.jpeg

I'm off work next week. Provided I'm still well, I intend to self isolate in a full head to toe outfit, and spend some time on my Ducati. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

This just in from a mate : 

I rang my son yesterday morning. He was driving around, for relief, after working from home for five days with the wife laid off and moping around. My granddaughter wanted to go with him, said "please don't leave me here with mummy, she's crazy". He fobbed her off with a promise of returning with chocolate later, then hurried off... "

My lad has a tap micropub.

He closed his doors at 7pm last night. Some regulars were close to tears. He will write off about £500's worth of stock in the short term. Possibly much more if it keeps closed. Naturally he's cacking himself.

BUT, he believes it's the right thing to do. Small breweries like chantry that supply him are in the same boat. Knock that back to their suppliers like hop producers, yeast and sugar suppliers and it's a much wider band of business affected.

I'm emotionally torn. All the research.... all the evidence says isolate. It's the correct thing to do. But its heartbreaking to see the impact this is having on business. The stress. The uncertainty etc.

On lighter note.

My Grandson has been sent home from Uni as his Halls are closed. He started work at Asda  yesterday.  To quote my daughter

" He has gone from being a useless tawt to essential key worker overnight"

Made me laugh??

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

58 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You remember when you were in the Army..all the needles...they lined us up...made us take off our shirts and walk the line 6 needles in each arm....and made to do pushups after (just to work it all in they said)......some people just faint, it has nothingn to do with being tough, its just a n ingrained reaction in a certain per centage of the population.

Question:  Are Armed Forces members getting it at a lower rate?....could one of the malarial/red fever (et al.) innoculations cause a decreasein the infection rate?

Probably an age and fitness thing more than anything else. 

And I remember getting multiple jabs in one day. ? 

24 minutes ago, ckn said:

Do you think the planet is trolling us?

A122A38B-0FAB-424F-B0BE-39AA03B121EE.jpeg

I felt very sorry for the weather guy on the TV this morning.

"I guess some of you might want to go outside ... maybe for a walk ... so here we go ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There is zero need to panic buy , there is no shortage or threat to supply lines . It’s pure stupidity , selfishness and irrational fear  that grips hold and has a domino effect . There was a guy from a toilet roll firm on telly who said they were laughing at this , there warehouses are packed . Sensible and measured sees you through but getting that message through is the hardest 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

im more likely to catch nits from kojak 

Well maybe incidents like this show we self isolation is a good idea:

An outbreak of the coronavirus that has killed 28 people in the West Midlands has been linked to a church attended by a worshipper who did not realise they were a carrier. 

Yesterday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced that the West Midlands was exploding as a coronavirus hotspot, alongside London. 

There have been 28 fatalities from COVID-19 in the region, with nine at one NHS trust. 

Two of the fatalities have been connected to a church where a congregant had continued to attend services, not realising they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, the Times reported. 

Another source understood that the virus was only detected in one of the patients after their death, the Times reported. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8137445/Coronavirus-outbreak-killed-28-West-Midlands-linked-church.html

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There is zero need to panic buy , there is no shortage or threat to supply lines . It’s pure stupidity , selfishness and irrational fear  that grips hold and has a domino effect . There was a guy from a toilet roll firm on telly who said they were laughing at this , there warehouses are packed . Sensible and measured sees you through but getting that message through is the hardest 

I predict some cracking deals on toilet roll once this pandemic passes because they are going to struggle to sell any at all for quite some time.

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

I'm off work next week. Provided I'm still well, I intend to self isolate in a full head to toe outfit, and spend some time on my Ducati. 

You mustn't. It's italian.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

As an aside, plenty of social distancing going on but also enough food on the shelves, in Sainsbury's just now.

A bloke sanitising the payment pad in between uses as well.

Yes milk and bread available. Should ease off more by Monday - Until the last working day of the month! 

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

That would be ridiculous. There is no way they should get support if they proceed with that payout to shareholders.

well yes is my immediate thought.. then I think most of the shareholders will be pension funds of all types including private pension funds via whatever investment.

So whilst some individual like the Stelios its one matter but for future pensions of non public sector dividends has a massive impact on their future pensions.... so if all companies didn't pay those dividends we will, that is the government, be bailing out pension funds to a greater extent.....  

2 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Wish I could, I delivered mine to the dealers in Alton yesterday to make it well again. ?

Archived