coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

We went to Costco this morning and abandoned it, the queue was enormous, what I think they were doing was restricting numbers inside the warehouse, so they had a one in one out policy running.

We'd gone to get some items we were struggling to get elsewhere but abandoned it as they were not that essential.

Its like something our of Communist Russia.;

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its like something our of Communist Russia.;

No, they were making sure they were keeping social distancing possible if everyone was let in freely then that would not be possible.

You open the doors, count in 100 (or whatever number is required), you then stop the entrance, then as people come out you let the next in. The entrance and exit are close to each other (bit like a woman) so it's easy to control.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I just wonder if shutting everything down is the correct response. At the beginning of WWII the government shut down sport. theatres, the cinema, and then realised it was doing more harm than good. And the "it'll last twelve weeks" statement.  What is this based on?  Again at the start of WWI and WWII the belief was "it'll be over by Christmas"    It wasn't.  The flu epidemic immediately post WWI killed more people than the war, possibly partly because they were so worn down by the privations of the war.  I just think we should be asking these questions that's all.  

Because it's not like WWII. But if you want to compare it to WWII think of ignoring the social distancing advice as being the same as going outside during the blackout and shining a torch into the air as a wave of enemy bombers pass by overhead. They'll almost certainly spot the light and probably drop some bombs. Now, you'll probably be lucky and the bombs won't harm you but they'll kill someone a few doors up the road or in the next street.

24 minutes ago, Padge said:

Meat wasn't a problem, chicken was low but available, local butcher is well stocked.

The few times I've been into the shops the meat shelves have been empty. We're lucky in that we've got meat (some of which is so old it could be included in the Ooh! I didn't think I still had that thread) in the freezer, and don't eat that much anyway, so we'll be OK for a while yet. It would be nice to get some flour though - I've got crumble DTs ?

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The few times I've been into the shops the meat shelves have been empty. We're lucky in that we've got meat (some of which is so old it could be included in the Ooh! I didn't think I still had that thread) in the freezer, and don't eat that much anyway, so we'll be OK for a while yet. It would be nice to get some flour though - I've got crumble DTs ?

We went to Sainsbury's Thursday evening to get something for tea at about 6:30 and we got the last item on the meat shelves, pork chops in some chinese marinade and that was it.

Today was much improved and the staff looked a lot happier.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

We went to Sainsbury's Thursday evening to get something for tea at about 6:30 and we got the last item on the meat shelves, pork chops in some chinese marinade and that was it.

I'm sure things will calm down soon if only because folk must be running out of space! I dread to think how much will go to waste.

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm sure things will calm down soon if only because folk must be running out of space! I dread to think how much will go to waste.

We'll have a recession after this is all over because people are not going shopping as they have so much stuff.

I saw a video, I wish I could find it again, a guy doing a calculation after he saw how much toilet roll someone was carting off.

He worked out that if they were a family of four they had enough toilet roll for about 3 years, and he was being generous with usage.

Just now, Padge said:

We'll have a recession after this is all over because people are not going shopping as they have so much stuff.

I saw a video, I wish I could find it again, a guy doing a calculation after he saw how much toilet roll someone was carting off.

He worked out that if they were a family of four they had enough toilet roll for about 3 years, and he was being generous with usage.

Saw something similar with a figure of around 180 poops a day during a 14 day isolation.

Apparently some pubs are open tonight. As much as I feel sorry for their business, they’re literally contributing to the deaths of people due to this virus. I would have little sympathy with them being criminally charged and fined over this, even if it bankrupted them. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Some in Scotland may find an emergency revoking of their license and bankruptcy anyway. Or suddenly finding a few rats somehow loose in their building with a health inspector closing them on the spot. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Apparently some pubs are open tonight. As much as I feel sorry for their business, they’re literally contributing to the deaths of people due to this virus. I would have little sympathy with them being criminally charged and fined over this, even if it bankrupted them. 

Indeed . Look at Italy , the infection rates , the death rates , the scenes from hospitals. Look at other countries ... it’s sobering , very sobering . Take this bloody seriously or it’s Armageddon here as well . It may be anyway but god you’ve got to do all you humanly can to help yourself and help your chances

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Where?

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Where?

Seen some unconfirmed reports in England so treat as gossip, but definitely in Scotland as Nicola Sturgeon mentioned it and the police have said they’re powerless to stop them and have had to stand down. 

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Seen some unconfirmed reports in England so treat as gossip, but definitely in Scotland as Nicola Sturgeon mentioned it and the police have said they’re powerless to stop them and have had to stand down. 

Its unbelievable that the Police haven't been given powers to take action.

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

The sensible ones are getting rid of stock by doing delivery and off-sales, that includes cask and keg, the real ale brigade are well geared up for this as most already offer a take-away service on cask and craft beers.

If this is approached correctly the small breweries can keep ticking over as long as the small pubs can shift beer as off-sales. I presume the licensing gestapo may turn a blind eye to anyone not having an off-sales license taking this route.

33 minutes ago, Padge said:

Today in Sainsburys was the emptiest I've ever seen supermarket shelves. Had to go to Morrisons (almost next door) to see if I could get the stuff I wanted. Neither had bananas, teabags, noodles. Meat was virtually empty in both.

Heard the press briefing on the way home. Reckon the country has bought £1 billion of 'hoarding' goods

The thought came to me on the way home. The supermarkets should add to the 'privilege' hour/hours for NHS and critical public service. Then work with a supermarket or 2 to allow an 40t artic to park in the hospital car park. Needs a driver and 2 customer service employees and 2 payment terminals for contactless to work. The NHS employees (when they have a minute) can stock up on the essentials and what they need quicker than traipsing around supermarkets in vain and frustration. Obviously only if this does not take any NHS resource to set up, etc. 

Here in my little village in Kent one of the local pubs nearby had a novel way of staying open today.

The car park was coned off with a sign directed to the pub door entrance where you could buy takeaway drinks and food and then stand outside and consume them in marked off areas (2 m apart) hilarious counted around 70 there at lunchtime.

Paul

18 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm not going into any pub that's got Nicola Sturgeon in it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

21 minutes ago, Padge said:

If this is approached correctly the small breweries can keep ticking over as long as the small pubs can shift beer as off-sales. I presume the licensing gestapo may turn a blind eye to anyone not having an off-sales license taking this route.

I believe there are moves afoot to relax a lot of licensing restrictions.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Hastings Sainsbury’s was okay this morning. Not perfect but enough on the shelves to mean there was choice.

Just back from my local Sainsburys.  Shelves are still very bare in some sections, but they had some tins, steak and burgers, veg, ready meals were OK.  Beer was wiped out though.  Definitely better than it has been all week, still way off normal.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

People are socially distancing themselves by all going to the same place -

3 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I did ponder a barrel, given I've a week booked off work, but have settled for the landlady bringing my usual Saturday night half a dozen pints when she comes up to see her horse later. 

You do have a class local.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Forget supermarkets, farm shops are the way to go if you’ve got one nearby. Went to one this morning and got plentiful supplies of meat, fruit and veg, eggs, dairy and bread. A bit more expensive than a supermarket but not excessively so. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived