coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Most of those in power have no idea how 'thick' (for a better word) a small, but significant proportion of the populace are.

I disagree.

I think they assume they are smarter than average and that is a mistake. None of us are much smarter than dogs.

The indifference is not a matter of intellect but perspective.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I disagree.

I think they assume they are smarter than average and that is a mistake. None of us are much smarter than dogs.

The indifference is not a matter of intellect but perspective.

Not sure I follow your argument but isn't 'assuming they are smarter than average' essentially the same as 'not realising how thick they are'? 

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure I follow your argument but isn't 'assuming they are smarter than average' essentially the same as 'not realising how thick they are'? 

Yes.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Slowly and not so surely, the operators of static caravan sites on the Lincs coast are getting the message.  Butlins closed. Haven closed. Blue Anchor, the biggest operator has only closed its facilities not its site.

. Still lots open, arcades open etc. Ingomels fake goods market still open.   Police and Crime Commissioner now involved to try to get people to stay away.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Because it's not like WWII. But if you want to compare it to WWII think of ignoring the social distancing advice as being the same as going outside during the blackout and shining a torch into the air as a wave of enemy bombers pass by overhead. They'll almost certainly spot the light and probably drop some bombs. Now, you'll probably be lucky and the bombs won't harm you but they'll kill someone a few doors up the road or in the next street.

But school closure is really hurting some families, like my daughter's.  My younger grand daughter is seriously disabled, the school she goes to is fully equipped in dealing with her problem.  Also of course her routine has been broken.  My daughter and son in law will try to cope, and they are not the worst off, but Lydia is going to suffer.  She is a delightful, pretty little 6 year old, but she can't walk, can't talk, can't see very well.   Here she is with her sister Verity.

lydia hoodie.JPG

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Les Tonks,

I would hazard a guess that a full lockdown will come next week due to the numbskulls who are ignoring the requests and putting everybody in danger.I believe next week the Government are bring forward legislation to enable them to do whatever they think is appropriate to stop these idiots. Apparently the governments proposals are to be nodded through rather than having M.Ps queueing in the lobbies to register their votes as it would clearly be passed anyway. The sooner the better and then the pubs who have ignored last nights orders will have their licences revoked.

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

The thought came to me on the way home. The supermarkets should add to the 'privilege' hour/hours for NHS and critical public service. Then work with a supermarket or 2 to allow an 40t artic to park in the hospital car park. Needs a driver and 2 customer service employees and 2 payment terminals for contactless to work. The NHS employees (when they have a minute) can stock up on the essentials and what they need quicker than traipsing around supermarkets in vain and frustration. Obviously only if this does not take any NHS resource to set up, etc. 

It'd be easier for them to go round the shop than try and find what they want on a grocery delivery.

31 minutes ago, Trojan said:

But school closure is really hurting some families, like my daughter's.  My younger grand daughter is seriously disabled, the school she goes to is fully equipped in dealing with her problem.  Also of course her routine has been broken.  My daughter and son in law will try to cope, and they are not the worst off, but Lydia is going to suffer.  She is a delightful, pretty little 6 year old, but she can't walk, can't talk, can't see very well.   Here she is with her sister Verity.

lydia hoodie.JPG

That's a lovely photo. You must be a very proud grandad.

If she has an EHCP then she should still be able to attend school if that is the best for her? That was one of the commitments made.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

You really have to wonder what it’d take to get folk off the streets...

There is nothing in the guidance about getting off the streets.......

The closest it comes to is under point 4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces. To be fair, people are not typically on a street with the intention of gathering into a large or small group, normal use of a street would be to go somewhere with a valid reason? Home? Work (If can't work from home) shop for essentials? Bank? Pharmacy? 

17 minutes ago, ckn said:

You really have to wonder what it’d take to get folk off the streets...

I've seen one place in Bexhill and another in Hastings offering 'take-away' today. But having chairs set up outside with tables so that you could 'take-away' and then just sit there.

The demographic was very much "we saw a film about the war so you can't tell us what to do" in both cases.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Forget supermarkets, farm shops are the way to go if you’ve got one nearby. Went to one this morning and got plentiful supplies of meat, fruit and veg, eggs, dairy and bread. A bit more expensive than a supermarket but not excessively so. 

Shhhh! Don't tell people.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Look at Italy , the infection rates , the death rates , the scenes from hospitals. Look at other countries ... it’s sobering , very sobering . Take this bloody seriously or it’s Armageddon here as well . It may be anyway but god you’ve got to do all you humanly can to help yourself and help your chances

Its hardly armageddon in Italy. They have 886 cases per 1,000,000 of their population. It's important to keep some perspective in, as you say, very sobering situations. You don't have to do all you humanly can to help yourself (& everyone else I might add) you must follow current government advice and guidance as closely as possible. 

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

I just wonder if shutting everything down is the correct response. At the beginning of WWII the government shut down sport. theatres, the cinema, and then realised it was doing more harm than good. And the "it'll last twelve weeks" statement.  What is this based on?  Again at the start of WWI and WWII the belief was "it'll be over by Christmas"    It wasn't.  The flu epidemic immediately post WWI killed more people than the war, possibly partly because they were so worn down by the privations of the war.  I just think we should be asking these questions that's all.  

where did you get the last 12 weeks statement from...

If referring to Press Conf with Boris J it was absolutely clear what he said and it was not what your comment says. So I am assuming you have some other statement or is it miss-reporting of a specific comment from the PM/Boris...

No problem asking questions or debating but of so lets be more precise and specific if referring to whom said what or some statement...

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

where did you get the last 12 weeks statement from...

If referring to Press Conf with Boris J it was absolutely clear what he said and it was not what your comment says. So I am assuming you have some other statement or is it miss-reporting of a specific comment from the PM/Boris...

No problem asking questions or debating but of so lets be more precise and specific if referring to whom said what or some statement...

In yesterday's press conference, or it may have been the day before, Johnson said he believed we could 'turn the tide' against the virus in 12 weeks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8131701/Boris-Johnson-says-Britain-turn-tide-coronavirus-12-weeks.html

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Its hardly armageddon in Italy. They have 886 cases per 1,000,000 of their population. It's important to keep some perspective in, as you say, very sobering situations. You don't have to do all you humanly can to help yourself (& everyone else I might add) you must follow current government advice and guidance as closely as possible. 

Well that's the confirmed figure from tests. As they have lost control and have had to impose a lockdown its fair to say the true figure is far higher.

49 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Les Tonks,

I would hazard a guess that a full lockdown will come next week due to the numbskulls who are ignoring the requests and putting everybody in danger.I believe next week the Government are bring forward legislation to enable them to do whatever they think is appropriate to stop these idiots. Apparently the governments proposals are to be nodded through rather than having M.Ps queueing in the lobbies to register their votes as it would clearly be passed anyway. The sooner the better and then the pubs who have ignored last nights orders will have their licences revoked.

yes, I expect full lock down... I'm guessing the government via the SAGE/CMO/CSO plan has a clear date ready to do so. A date as to when they think maximum shut down is needed, the scenes on TV which show some people ignoring helps nations acceptance of harsh measures that come in... similar to the pub, etc shutdown, first step strong advise but when plan and model showed next step needed shut down of Pubs came.

Just now, gingerjon said:

In yesterday's press conference, or it may have been the day before, Johnson said he believed we could 'turn the tide' against the virus in 12 weeks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8131701/Boris-Johnson-says-Britain-turn-tide-coronavirus-12-weeks.html

Turning the tide and 'it'll last 12 weeks' are entirely different statements, and very clearly different statements.  Everyone understands what turning the tide means.  He also gave a hefty caveat: that we all had to do our bit and act on the advice and direction given.  He was very, very clear and at no time did he event hint that we'd be all done and dusted in 12 weeks.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

yep exactly turn the tide as distinct from the comment And the "it'll last twelve weeks" statement... that was my point their is a difference.

Seen a couple of posts around here, commenting how busy Malham was. Problem is to some extent, the idea is to go and get fresh air and away from people as everything is closed. Problem is, everyone who doesn't know better picks the popular tourist locations. I could go for a fantastic walk for a full day from my doorstep on the height of summer, and still barely see a soul. 

Whilst social distancing is required, problem is there isn't enough imagination how, or where to do it. I hope that doesn't spoil things for those that us who can get out without running into others. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, gazza77 said:

Seen a couple of posts around here, commenting how busy Malham was. Problem is to some extent, the idea is to go and get fresh air and away from people as everything is closed. Problem is, everyone who doesn't know better picks the popular tourist locations. I could go for a fantastic walk for a full day from my doorstep on the height of summer, and still barely see a soul. 

Whilst social distancing is required, problem is there isn't enough imagination how, or where to do it. I hope that doesn't spoil things for those that us who can get out without running into others. 

we are staying at home as we are in the high risk. Never-the-less live in the country and our lanes/roads near by are always empty apart from odd car or dog walkers.

So we went out for a walk to exercise as normally no people or at most an odd person to bump into... Chuckle was when we turned a bend and a family was walking towards us on same side of road, all be it a bit of a distance away but the gap closing rapidly...

Whats the protocol for a sudden Usain Bolt gold medal winning dash to other side of lane/road to ensure maximum distance without offending...

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

we are staying at home as we are in the high risk. Never-the-less live in the country and our lanes/roads near by are always empty apart from odd car or dog walkers.

So we went out for a walk to exercise as normally no people or at most an odd person to bump into... Chuckle was when we turned a bend and a family was walking towards us on same side of road, all be it a bit of a distance away but the gap closing rapidly...

Whats the protocol for a sudden Usain Bolt gold medal winning dash to other side of lane/road to ensure maximum distance without offending...

I've just seen a Facebook post from a former neighbour. He mentioned that everyone suddenly seems head down, ignore everyone. No need not to smile and greet people from a distance. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived