coronavirus

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

This issue is largely one of trust. If everyone trusted each other to follow the rules, we will come out of this ok. If we don't have that trust, then it is a free-for-all.

We don't have that trust.

Your moderation may end up costing you, and not those who are panic buying.

Why? Look at Italy - full lockdown, supermarkets have plenty of stock. This, at the moment, is not a under supply problem, it's an excessive demand problem that will slow down at some point.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's been suggested that Morrison's (specifically them) are about to announce a no-choice delivery service which will give you enough meat and veg, but beyond dietary requirements and veggie options, you can't choose specific things. The idea being to get people away from stores and fed but not clearing out more than they need or pressurising the supply chain.

I like this as a idea is it workable though. 

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Why? Look at Italy - full lockdown, supermarkets have plenty of stock. This, at the moment, is not a under supply problem, it's an excessive demand problem that will slow down at some point.

Agree entirely, but presumably we are not the ones who don't have the trust.

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

This issue is largely one of trust. If everyone trusted each other to follow the rules, we will come out of this ok. If we don't have that trust, then it is a free-for-all.

We don't have that trust.

Your moderation may end up costing you, and not those who are panic buying.

Indeed.

It is being called panic buying, but is more like the prisoner's dilemma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Smudger06 said:

It is if they open up a just eat or uber eats type app with freelance drivers. 

How do they know how many people/animals live at the address. Do they just trust what you tell them or do they go off records. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I was thinking this earlier. My main question was as to whether there would be the infrastructure to do this for everyone. I guess it might not just be food vans doing the deliveries.

Apparently the reason it was specifically Morrison's was because enough of the process is in-house. (I don't know). But they have been recruiting delivery drivers so it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to create a network that just completely bypasses the store.

As it's a rumour, albeit one that seems to come via a credible source, I'll leave it at that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

How do they know how many people/animals live at the address. Do they just trust what you tell them or do they go off records. 

Reminded me of a momentary rye smile I gave last week when the chancellor announced business grants could be obtained via HMRC. Anyone who dodged or misreported their tax liability has scored themselves a bit of an own goal. 

Sometimes, it is just worth telling the truth! 

I had a good think about this as I was observing behaviour from a supermarket car Park for several days. I calculated that due to lack of home storage space and many people been paid monthly at the end of the month, 1st week of the next month coupled with a ramping up of supply chain capacity this would fail off massively by now. 

Seems I was wrong, supermarkets are in heaven and are not ramping up capacity anywhere near the levels they are capable of, even though they may be saying they are. 

Panic buyers are wiping out savings and maxing out credit cards to buy roll and more milk and eggs than they can use before they go off. 

My thought process seems to have been massively flawed, we will see in the next 24hrs. 

8 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Agree entirely, but presumably we are not the ones who don't have the trust.

To be fair, trusting this government and PM is a leap of faith. Especially as some of the messages so far have been watered down, or confused.

It may become a problem if the food sources are seriously affected. As long as all countries are still producing, we should be fine, especially as this outbreak has to end at some point within 12-18 months (or, if not, we resort to the bonkers "herd immunity" idea).

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 hours ago, Bob8 said:

You do not know what you are writing about. Thank you for your "expertise" though.

My statement  was factual Bob and you know it.   No need to be so touchy but it is obvious that what I said was simply a pretty clear observation of what is happening.   Great Britain was late off the mark on all of this and the schools should be closed.

You have fundamentally misjudged what is going on....for some it will be a fatal delay; them be the facts of it Bob.

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

My statement  was factual Bob and you know it.   No need to be so touchy but it is obvious that what I said was simply a pretty clear observation of what is happening.   Great Britain was late off the mark on all of this and the schools should be closed.

You have fundamentally misjudged what is going on....for some it will be a fatal delay; them be the facts of it Bob.

Factual. No. I will be generous and assume you do not know what that word means.

I am not in the UK, I am in the field. I am not qualified to make the remark you did.

"You have fundamentally misjudged what is going on" - you are an arrogant buffoon with that or have genuine expertise. If you are another armchair pundit, stick to propagating false memes on Facebook. Or, even better, don't.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

How do we keep NHS staff at work and not looking after their kids at home? Who is going to get the food we need to the shelves?

Some people have small ones at home who need care....it seems obvious that others will have to step in (family/friends)....Human Resources for the NHS needs to step forward with a flexible work schedules...there will certainly be a per centage who can't make their shifts due to this problem.

The food supply problems easily solved by not allowing hoarding....the trucks are running.  If there is any looting all looters should be shot on sight.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, pretty much every school is going to open in some capacity. Each with a slightly different interpretation of what they are doing and why.

you can bet yer last penny that their will be media all over confusion at school gates...

Even with the best will in the world the first few days will have parents arriving with their children that don't meet the criteria... Resulting in some unpleasant situations in isolated pockets.  No doubt the teachers unions/representatives bemoaning on media that government ain't doing enough to help.

I have confidence in school heads and their respective staff to deal with the situation taking the leadership needed at that local level.  We are in a situation that requires high degree of local leadership where ever you look, not expecting Government as in Civil Servants to dot every i and t...

Around mid week as message gets through, and maybe at some gates Police to help get that message it will be on-track.

15 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Factual. No. I will be generous and assume you do not know what that word means.

I am not in the UK, I am in the field. I am not qualified to make the remark you did.

"You have fundamentally misjudged what is going on" - you are an arrogant buffoon with that or have genuine expertise. If you are another armchair pundit, stick to propagating false memes on Facebook. Or, even better, don't.

Touchy Bob touchy!  I'm not in the UK either but am able to follow along...while you discuss/debate qualifications decisions need to be made based on the evidence at this time....while you dally the window of action closes....you are frozen with fear....relax...think it out.

The personal attacks with those who don't agree with you certainly don't help Bob..  You know nothing about my personal experience....I have been isolated/locked down (for large blocks of time)  and treated by folks in the suits, this happened twice to me both during the SARS outbreak and an unknown E Coli outbreak, which both killed many.   I was locked down with a full family in both instances, for long stretches of time.....maybe I know a little about it?

You need to relax and not be so close minded...I'll put your false assumptions and misguided comments down to the stress of the situation at the moment.

Relax....be open to the ideas of others who have been through this before.

You owe me an apology.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Touchy Bob touchy!  I'm not in the UK either but am abler to follow along...while you discuss/debate qualifications decisions need to be made based on the evidence at this time....while you dally the window of action closes....you are frozen with fear....relax...think it out.

The personal attacks with those who don't agree with you certainly don't help Bob..  You know nothing about my personal experience....I have been isolated/locked down (for large blocks of time)  and treated by folks in the suits, this happened twice to me both during the SARS outbreak and an unknown E Coli outbreak, which both killed many.   I was locked down with a full family in both instances, for long stretches of time.....maybe I know a little about it?

You need to relax and not be so close minded...I'll put your false assumptions and misguided comments down to the stress of the situation at the moment.

Relax....be open to the ideas of others who have been through this before.

You owe me an apology.

No, really, it is just criticism. You are not getting an apology for you writng BS and being touchy.

You do not know what you are talking about. But good news, no-one does, certainly not me ?

Regardless of key worker status or not.

You should keep your kids off school for obvious reasons. 

There's often two adults in a household, im not talking just couples, could be elder child or Another adult family member. 

If only one is a key worker, they go to work and other stays home. 

If both are key workers, have different shifts, so one is home while other at work and vise versa.

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

No, really, it is just criticism. You are not getting an apology for you writng BS and being touchy.

You do not know what you are talking about. But good news, no-one does, certainly not me ?

Poorly done Bob but it is what it is. 

You can lightly dismiss someone who has been through this twice before (once for 9 months with no potable/running water!)..the best teacher in life is experience, not qualifications!

I think some people know what they are talking about but I take your point that there are many self proclaimed experts....my statement was based on factual, real life experience(s).

You still owe me that apology.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Poorly done Bob but it is what it is. 

You can lightly dismiss someone who has been through this twice before (once for 9 months with no potable/running water!)..the best teacher in life is experience, not qualifications!

I think some people know what they are talking about but I take your point that there are many self proclaimed experts....my statement was based on factual, real life experience(s).

You still owe me that apology.

I am sorry you suffered. I get that. It does not make you an expert either.

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

It's futile to close schools but then reopen them for a select 30-50%. 

All these things are a balance. Every measure will cause damage. It is a fudge, that is the nature of life. It is why a full on flu pandemic is easier to handle, balance goes out the window.

Kayakman,

I to am not in the U.K. I agree with you lots of people around the world are having to live and put up with different rules and regulations. My youngest grandaughter has just been on the phone and I went into my garden and showed her around. Here we are not allowed out of the house except one may go for vital rations. We have been on total lockdown for 9 days now and we have not seen one single child or teenager out on the streets or on the playing fields opposite my villa.My next door neighbours on both sides are young Spanish families with a young child. I have not seen the children for the 9 days but the parents do come out into the garden ,which by the way are approx 10 to 15 metres apart,just to make sure we are fine.So,yes,you can not compare country to country.If you are saying what the situation is Canada,I believe you.I would imagine the people in the U.K. who are ignoring the messages for the government are either plain stupid or just plain idiots.

One week over here would sort them out,first fine for disobeying orders has just been upgraded to 600 euro. The Guardia and the Army here carry guns,carrying on stepping out of line and they will use those guns.That is the reason the streets,parks and play areas are deserted.

Archived