coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

We aren't currently testing anyone with the antibody test. We need to start that.

There is an argument. The people in charge will make errors. 

That we are not set up for testing when we would have been in a better position several years ago is notable. But, what we should do now is not a straight forward issue. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The antibody test will be a quick and simple blood test. I have swathes of staff self-isolating wha are desperate to return to work. I’ve no doubt this is the same in the NHS. A good number of them will not have the virus. I say it is in the interests of the country to remobilise these people as soon as possible, as a high priority. 

The UK loses 10,000 people every year to the flu. Given that it's primarily a winter infection, we can estimate 500 per week for 20 weeks.

According to the Daily Mail today, we have lost 240 to Coronavirus in, say, 2 months. That's 30 a week. The UK is, on the face of it, completely over-reacting.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

If you have symptoms you should self isolate and will not be tested unless you are admitted to hospital.

This morning on teletext it was reported that one football club had tested ALL staff and players.

One rule for one and one for others.

Can someone justify this please.

41 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant go to the pub but its ok to queue in the chippy wtf?

Said exactly the same..... 

Some were whinging that wath tap was doing outsales. They weren't letting anyone in the pub. Card sales only. Bring their own container.

Those complaining about it being open had just spent ten mins queuing for fish n chips in the shop next door

Just now, gittinsfan said:

If you have symptoms you should self isolate and will not be tested unless you are admitted to hospital.

This morning on teletext it was reported that one football club had tested ALL staff and players.

One rule for one and one for others.

Can someone justify this please.

The club will have paid for it to be done. I daresay someone somewhere will take your money to test you.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Some were whinging that wath tap was doing outsales. They weren't letting anyone in the pub. Card sales only. Bring their own container.

Those complaining about it being open had just spent ten mins queuing for fish n chips in the shop next door

People need meals. Supermarkets are letting us down big time. Should maintain a 2m minimum spacing in queue though. 

11 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The UK loses 10,000 people every year to the flu. Given that it's primarily a winter infection, we can estimate 500 per week for 20 weeks.

According to the Daily Mail today, we have lost 240 to Coronavirus in, say, 2 months. That's 30 a week. The UK is, on the face of it, completely over-reacting.

A lot of what you post is explained by the implication that you read the Daily Mail.

It's true there's no cure for stupid but stopping reading that would mitigate a lot of your symptoms.

Don't have much time for Sturgeon but a good line from her today: if your life feels close to normal right now then you're doing something wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Because, as I said earlier, those in power don't realise how 'thick' folk are (or for Bob8, they think they're brighter than they are) and believe they'll act sensibly and rationally in the current circumstances. Full lockdown will be coming sooner rather than later because they can't.

57 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

We aren't currently testing anyone with the antibody test. We need to start that.

Is this the test that is currently being trialled in the UK on humans?  Or is it another test?  I'm getting confused with the reference to testing.

Incidentally, Germany, that mega tester, is - according to reports - suggesting that as the number of cases rise, testing itself is becoming less and less useful because they cannot keep up with the number of cases.

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Because, as I said earlier, those in power don't realise how 'thick' folk are (or for Bob8, they think they're brighter than they are) and believe they'll act sensibly and rationally in the current circumstances. Full lockdown will be coming sooner rather than later because they can't.

My instinct is that the majority of people are being sensible and taking everything on board.  Some folk are terrified (like my mum).  As ever though there is the minority who couldn't give an piece of excrement and they, as ever, are ruining everything for the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Is this the test that is currently being trialled in the UK on humans?  Or is it another test?  I'm getting confused with the reference to testing.

Incidentally, Germany, that mega tester, is - according to reports - suggesting that as the number of cases rise, testing itself is becoming less and less useful because they cannot keep up with the number of cases.

The government have just ordered 1 million of these. They are not currently in use. It is a pin-pr1ck blood test.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

There's a good thread here on "panic buying", which seems to fit with my own buying habits.

The issue is the extra 10% being concentrated on a relatively small range of long lasting items and essentials.

5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

.  As ever though there is the minority who couldn't give an piece of excrement and they, as ever, are ruining everything for the rest of us.

There's an awful lot of them about lass, and by the evidence on show this morning, a good many within the nhs

4 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

The government have just ordered 1 million of these. They are not currently in use. It is a pin-pr1ck blood test.

is that the one the CMO/CSO mentioned in one of the press conferences that they were funding research on,,, as a new test that was being developed and which if it works it would be a game changer for scale testing...

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

is that the one the CMO/CSO mentioned in one of the press conferences that they were funding research on,,, as a new test that was being developed and which if it works it would be a game changer for scale testing...

Not sure. Robert Jenrick said today that it would be available within a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

But if they are the only two who are able to keep the school open, that will be the best option. At this current time though, I agree.

This is not a small village school but a senior school with a normal attendance of a couple of thousand. I’d imagine these are just issues that will need ironing out as we go on. 

11 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

full lockdown will already have been earmarked... as said at one of the press conferences they factor into the model that a certain percentage wont follow advise.  

So yep they factor in for your description "thick people".. they may well increase the percentage up of such now...

Just now, redjonn said:

Pretty sure it is. It also has  advantages over the current test in that it is quick (mins rather than days) and relatively easy to do and will show whether you've already at it rather than just if you have it at the time of sampling.

3 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Not sure. Robert Jenrick said today that it would be available within a few weeks.

yep, the press conference as I remember .. this testing was what the PM said he was hoping would be a vital part of being able to turn the tide on the impact of the virus..

anyway sounds a positive

Archived