coronavirus

26 minutes ago, M j M said:

A lot of what you post is explained by the implication that you read the Daily Mail.

You're just jealous because it's not available on Desperation Island.

Fortunately, you've always got basic snobbery to fall back on.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

full lockdown will already have been earmarked... as said at one of the press conferences they factor into the model that a certain percentage wont follow advise.  

So yep they factor in for your description "thick people".. they may well increase the percentage up of such now...

They almost always underestimate the % who are, just like they always assume that everyone is motivated to better themselves through (usually) education.

39 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Is this the test that is currently being trialled in the UK on humans?  Or is it another test?  I'm getting confused with the reference to testing.

Incidentally, Germany, that mega tester, is - according to reports - suggesting that as the number of cases rise, testing itself is becoming less and less useful because they cannot keep up with the number of cases.

There are two types of relevant test, and it is genuinely confusing. All the more so as people speak more confidently than they should.

...and, include me in this, it is a few years since I worked in the field.

There is a rest to see if it is present, which is the RT-PCR test (reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction). Kids learn about this stuff in school once, but it was second year of my molecular biology degree back then! That picks up a specific bit of RNA (the DNA of the virus) and allows it to be identified. This is great for a diagnosis. It tell you whether then are sick and contagious at the present moment; it does get less important as number rise.

The other test is to see if a person has already had it and has an immune response, the immunity test. This is particularly useful for getting key workers back in the field. This is for the more long term.

Broadly. And, I have been out the field a while, so please do not take this as gospel ?

Some confusion will be there are antibodies in diagnostic tests and in the immune response.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

26 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There's an awful lot of them about lass, and by the evidence on show this morning, a good many within the nhs

In my extended family alone

SinL has driven from London where she is a teacher (special needs school so shut) to Devon where she has a house - all fine but then has gone to visit her 80 yo mother recovering from Chemo, as she " sat across the room so all fine" and got older BinL  to drive donw form Exeter as well "for mothers day", he has a young wife and a 4yo daughter in Exeter

Younger BinL - his wife is an ex GP and he does stuff with anti microbial copper and has been going on about all the issues around SinL and other BinL but apparently ok for his daughter to have a driving lesson as "it is my mate doing it and all his other pupils have cancelled and i am trying to help him out - so making use of the empty roads"

It seems everyone seems to think there are certain reasons they can ignore certain bits of isolation

There is no helping selfish and stupid

15 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

In my extended family alone

SinL has driven from London where she is a teacher (special needs school so shut) to Devon where she has a house - all fine but then has gone to visit her 80 yo mother recovering from Chemo, as she " sat across the room so all fine" and got older BinL  to drive donw form Exeter as well "for mothers day", he has a young wife and a 4yo daughter in Exeter

Younger BinL - his wife is an ex GP and he does stuff with anti microbial copper and has been going on about all the issues around SinL and other BinL but apparently ok for his daughter to have a driving lesson as "it is my mate doing it and all his other pupils have cancelled and i am trying to help him out - so making use of the empty roads"

It seems everyone seems to think there are certain reasons they can ignore certain bits of isolation

There is no helping selfish and stupid

Yes one of the main points of the guidance is to NOT visit friends and family at their home and to NOT allow friends and family to visit you at your home. 

Aged 70 & over to be particularly stringent. ! 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

The UK loses 10,000 people every year to the flu. Given that it's primarily a winter infection, we can estimate 500 per week for 20 weeks.

According to the Daily Mail today, we have lost 240 to Coronavirus in, say, 2 months. That's 30 a week. The UK is, on the face of it, completely over-reacting.

You are deliberating trying to wind people up aren't you?

Not really stupid, though that is a big factor. More like complete thoughtlessness.  If only people would stop and think before they do anything that is in conflict with the official advice. If only people would show some self restraint

Of course there is panic buying. How else would explain why there have been reports of long queues waiting for supermarkets to open? 

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not really stupid, though that is a big factor. More like complete thoughtlessness.  If only people would stop and think before they do anything that is in conflict with the official advice. If only people would show some self restraint

Of course there is panic buying. How else would explain why there have been reports of long queues waiting for supermarkets to open? 

IN my opinion it is people thinking they are special and the rules apply to everyone else 100% but their special case means it is fine for them to do x,y or z

36 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

You are deliberating trying to wind people up aren't you?

No, just quoting statistics. The statistics that people who think that they are cleverer than people who feel like me don't like hearing. It was the same with the Brexit threads. Look how that turned out.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 minute ago, Wolford6 said:

No, just quoting statistics. The statistics that people who think that they are cleverer than people who feel like me don't like hearing. It was the same with the Brexit threads. Look how that turned out.

I'm not sure statistics is your strength. 

5 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Hmmmmmmm, I don't believe you.  If you are wanting to look at statistics then surely the graph showing the scary growth in cases in Italy is just, if not more relevant.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and thinking that you are just intent on trying to get an angry reaction from people.

Especially when trying to bring Brexit into what is a completely different debate.

25 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Screenshot_20200322-163337_Samsung Internet.jpg

That is very misleading. Irresponsibly so. Is that cases that went into ICU? We have only rough estimates of who is actually infected, so any calculation of survivial rates is a big guess.

17 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I predicted that by now we would be out of the EU, and paying money to the EU and following the rules. I was bang on!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

UK deaths up 48 on yesterday. That puts daylight between the UK and Italy figures on the curve. 

phew

But that (and looking at Spain) prove why it is more and more important we do follow the rules - a month or 2 of pain now to save the heartache of maybe having a loved one die and thinking "i wonder if if i had done/not done x they would have not got it"

12 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

UK deaths up 48 on yesterday. That's considerably lower than the Italy curve experienced in the corresponding day. Way too soon to draw conclusions though.

The only ones who will draw conclusions are those who say “look it’s not as bad as they all said so we can continue to go out”.

In reality the benefit of any actions taken today will only be seen in 2 weeks time

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

The only ones who will draw conclusions are those who say “look it’s not as bad as they all said so we can continue to go out”.

In reality the benefit of any actions taken today will only be seen in 2 weeks time

Yes, I was relieved that the figure was lower, but immediately shared the fear you raise. 

7 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Is it? From what I have seen, we are seeing steeper increases.

Yes. 48 today in UK, 133 on the corresponding day in Italy. Clearly this is only one day, and the first that has been somewhat different to the Italy figures. The acid test is if there are significantly more than in Italy in the coming days. 

I suspect that the tourism that has been seen this weekend alone will contribute to a catch-up somewhere along the line.

17 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That is very misleading. Irresponsibly so. Is that cases that went into ICU? We have only rough estimates of who is actually infected, so any calculation of survivial rates is a big guess.

If you say so.

It's total cases globally which had an outcome. 

Quite obviously there's more people out there who are infected. These are the known confirmed cases. 

8 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Yes. 48 today in UK, 133 on the corresponding day in Italy. Clearly this is only one day, and the first that has been somewhat different to the Italy figures. The acid test is if there are significantly more than in Italy in the coming days. 

I suspect that the tourism that has been seen this weekend alone will contribute to a catch-up somewhere along the line.

Italy is getting a lot of stick. Everywhere else in Europe has had warning.

It seems the countries that have seen everything go horribly wrong are taking it more seriously, rather than those that have not had such issues. But, that is just my uninformed impression.

Archived