coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Damien said:

All UK and Ireland McDonalds to close from tomorrow evening. It feels like the entire country is shutting down:

I've not been in a McDs in the UK since 2010. I'll be OK.

I might get fish and chips tomorrow in case all takeaways are shut down sooner than I expected.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Thanks!

It is always going to be unreliable, as we do not really have much idea of the total number of cases I would suggest. The 5,683 figure does look very low (we have an estimate of ten times that in Denmark alone, which is ahead but has a tenth of the population).

I'm sorry the scientifically confirmed figures are unreliable and don't fit with your figures 

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

All UK and Ireland McDonalds to close from tomorrow evening. It feels like the entire country is shutting down:

Even less places to get meals (If you can call them that) when the Supermarkets have nowt on the shelves. 

7 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I've not been in a McDs in the UK since 2010. I'll be OK.

I might get fish and chips tomorrow in case all takeaways are shut down sooner than I expected.

It's not really whether you eat in it or not, it's more the signal it sends. McDonalds are a huge corporation and when they are doing this, despite their resources and drive throughs which are as good as it gets for social distancing, it's hard not to think that everything else is going the same way.

I’m just wondering if people are actually eating all the pasta they’re buying. I love pasta and can happily knock up a dish in short order. I’d be happy to eat it 3-4 times a week. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's not really whether you eat in it or not, it's more the signal it sends. McDonalds are a huge corporation and when they are doing this, despite their resources and drive throughs which are as good as it gets for social distancing, it's hard not to think that everything else is going the same way.

Yup McD’s have about 130,000 employees, plus supply chains, etc.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

I’m just wondering if people are actually eating all the pasta they’re buying. I love pasta and can happily knock up a dish in short order. I’d be happy to eat it 3-4 times a week. 

I used to live off pasta when I lived alone. I use a wider range of carb sources now though. 

I do find it interesting how society has clearly changed in food tastes. I haven't seen a single comment bemoaning a lack of potatoes, which would have been the main carb source for most meals not that far back. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just about manage a lasagne , horrible horrible stuff 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just about manage a lasagne , horrible horrible stuff 

Dried pasta on to boil with salt to taste 

Onion roughly chopped, fry it off

Clove of minced garlic if you like that. 

Packet of passata or chopped tomatoes. 

Pepper, paprika and other spices to taste

Cook it all off. Add pasta about a minute before the pasta is cooked to your taste. Serve. 

A long time core dinner or lunch for me. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Cook it all off. Add pasta about a minute before the pasta is cooked to your taste. Serve. 

It's the texture 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

It's the texture 

Fair enough. Tried fresh variants rather than dried?

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Stick all that over some meatballs and I'll murder it 

39 minutes ago, Damien said:

That is because it is; just as Italy, Spain and France have done.  It's the only way.  We are just experiencing it as a gradual hibernation rather than the shock and awe of those other countries.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Since you're keen on statistics here are a few for you:

It took 90 days to record the first confirmed 100,000 cases. The second 100,000 took 12 days to record. The third 100,000 – recorded today – took just four days.

That's cases, not deaths. I wonder how many cases of flu are recorded over the same period.

Looking at those figurees, it would appear that over 300million people in Europe are plagued by, at worst, 300,000 infections. A stunning 0.1% of the population.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I will say that Mirror photo looks like it was taken with a telephoto lens, making people look closer together than they are. I doubt they're all maintaining 2 m though...

I've been out on my pushbike today (this I think is defensible as I go on my own and won't generally be within 2 m of anyone else), but I did see quite a few largish groups out cycling as well. My club has stopped all racing, training rides and club runs, as they should, but I can't help feel that the message is not getting through and  I'm going to be unnecessarily confined to barracks soon enough. I have a turbo trainer in the house so I could still exercise but I'd so much rather be outside.

5 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

That's cases, not deaths. I wonder how many cases of flu are recorded over the same period.

Looking at those figurees, it would appear that over 300million people in Europe are plagued by, at worst, 300,000 infections. A stunning 0.1% of the population.

You are making yourself look foolish here. Look at Italy - they have so many people needing hospital treatment that their excellent health care system cannot cope. We are 2 to 3 weeks behind Italy and our health care system has been ravaged by 10 years of austerity.

What we are seeing in the UK now is very far from being an overreaction.

7 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

You surely know that only a fraction of cases are actually being confirmed by tests and that true figures are many multiples of what has been confirmed.

3 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

You are making yourself look foolish here. Look at Italy - they have so many people needing hospital treatment that their excellent health care system cannot cope. We are 2 to 3 weeks behind Italy and our health care system has been ravaged by 10 years of austerity.

What we are seeing in the UK now is very far from being an overreaction.

I think we’re into “do not feed the troll” territory now with Wolford6. 

8 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

So let's be optimistic and say only 1% die, that's 1000 in the first 90 days, 1000 in the next 12, a further 1000 in the next 4 (clearly all these are underestimating the actual picture since many more than 3000 have already died). I'll leave you to figure the numbers over the next 12 weeks - and that won't be the end of it......

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

You surely know that only a fraction of cases are actually being confirmed by tests and that true figures are many multiples of what has been confirmed.

1. Yes, and the infections are not having a serious enough effect to make the infected individual  visit a hospital.

2. I don't see the government telling people not to go to work in case they are involved in a road traffic accident.

• In 2018, there were 1,784 people killed on the roads in Britain;
  • In 2018, 25,511 people were seriously injured on the roads in Britain;
  • In 2018, there was a total of 160,597 casualties of all severities in road traffic crashes

3. I work in the environmental field and have several fiends who are or were senior academics. One thing you can be sure of is that:

• this week, biomedical faculties at UK universities will be presenting information in as sensational manner as possible
  • this week, biomedical faculties at UK universities will be applying for research grants into the cause, effect and treatment of Coronavirus infection.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived