coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

My daughter's have done the YouTube Live PE lesson this morning. Massive amounts of people viewing it. ?

Cue loads of insurance claims from people like me who have a house full of ornaments.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

12 hours ago, redjonn said:

Thought the documentary was very good on Channel 4 tonight.

I like the way at the beginning the expert described how the infection spread.

In summary... typical spread from a infected person for this virus is 1-3... take each of those 3 and they spread it onwards in similar way.. Typically that goes across 10 layers..  thus that original one person spreads it to 59,000 people.  His expertise says that 10% will of those be hospitalised.   Some say it may be 20%.

If you haven't watched the documentry, go Channel 4 equivalent of i-player. Well worth watching for the full hour.

A simple demonstration of how breaking those links makes a huge difference https://imgur.com/mVsIuUo 

25 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

My daughter's have done the YouTube Live PE lesson this morning. Massive amounts of people viewing it. ?

Yes. Seemed to very popular with the mums, that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. Seemed to very popular with the mums, that.

Not in my house

Elder Daughter (18) is using the S&C guidance she got from Wasps (don't ask) and making younger daughter (13) follow along just with lighter resistance bands and no weights on the dumbells -30 min session 8am every day and a longer session in the afternoon

She is also planning a full circuit session for Wed pm and has dug the rowing machine out form under the pile of garden rubbish in the shed

Apparently i have to go for a road run with one of them on a Tue eve and a cycle with the other on a Thu

I fear this is going to be worse than pre season

I'm really grasping at straws for a positive here but Italy had fewer deaths Sunday than Saturday and roughly the same amount as Friday. That's an incredibly small sample but as every other countries deaths are accelerating daily hopefully this might be a sign that Italy is nearing the peak. I'm really paying close attention to them as we seem to be on an identical path.

1 minute ago, fevtom said:

I'm really grasping at straws for a positive here but Italy had fewer deaths Sunday than Saturday and roughly the same amount as Friday. That's an incredibly small sample but as every other countries deaths are accelerating daily hopefully this might be a sign that Italy is nearing the peak. I'm really paying close attention to them as we seem to be on an identical path.

It does seem a hard shutdown works and the effect takes time.

Despite what some f***wits on this forum insist, shutting things down is huge and carries serious downside. But, we do have models of how to do it and have to choose the bits that can be used in the UK.

Life with it being illegal (as it is now) to have gatherings of over ten people is, oddly, not meeting any resistance and gets the importance over.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Not sure which way round this was but on this mornings BBC news a doctor who is an expert on the spread of tropical diseases/viruses was saying that the path the UK is taking to fight this virus is the correct one regarding closing down schools, businesses, self isolation etc, and when I knocked over to Sky news there was a expert from  the WHO saying that what the UK was doing was wrong and we should be following the South Korean/ far eastern method of keeping schools/businesses open and just isolate the infected. 

And just to lighten things up, I was sent this from a mate in Cumbria

0856064_n.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

I had some intruders in my garden last week when I was out. They left the garden gate open and some pop bottles and a coffee cup in my empty dustbin. No damage or sign of attempted burglary. Mind you, I have a visible handle-clamp on my patio doors.

Maybe they were after my cache of toilet rolls and tissues.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Just f***ing stay at home

People over here requesting that this be shown on national TV.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

Sister company just been told they are all dropping to 4 day weeks (and 4 days a week pay) plus the new people in probation are being ended with immediate effect and the accountant who is self employed is having his hours cut by 50%

just been told the same - go home work remote just get paid for 4 days a week and lets revisit in a month or 2's time

So a shiny 20% paycut but better than no job (and a bit less than that taking into account tax)

38 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Because sport has been cancelled in Europe, Sky have a lot of time to fill, but glancing through the schedules, there doesn't seem to be much Rugby League, despite Sky's back catalogue.

I think one day next weekend has a full day. Including the first SL game being shown as live in the evening 

And yet I have just listened to a virologist on Jeremy Vines Radio 2 programme telling people to get themselves out for a walk.Go somewhere quiet and make sure you stay 2 metres away from any other people.I would love him to find somewhere quiet in the U.K. to walk and to walk 2 metres away from me telling everybody who has turned up at this quiet place to keep away from me.That should work should it not, make sure people stay 2 metres away from me instead of me staying 2 metres away from anybody else.

Just now, fairfolly said:

And yet I have just listened to a virologist on Jeremy Vines Radio 2 programme telling people to get themselves out for a walk.Go somewhere quiet and make sure you stay 2 metres away from any other people.I would love him to find somewhere quiet in the U.K. to walk and to walk 2 metres away from me telling everybody who has turned up at this quiet place to keep away from me.That should work should it not, make sure people stay 2 metres away from me instead of me staying 2 metres away from anybody else.

It was a doddle to stay 2m away from everyone on the Hastings seafront earlier. Even easier taking the dog for a walk around the block. Didn't touch anything (other than the dog lead) at any time.

Had it not been a doddle to do I'd have come back at a time when it was.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

Generally, fresh air and sunlight are typically good for teckling viruses. It is not known why, though many theories go around.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It was a doddle to stay 2m away from everyone on the Hastings seafront earlier. Even easier taking the dog for a walk around the block. Didn't touch anything (other than the dog lead) at any time.

Had it not been a doddle to do I'd have come back at a time when it was.

Same here, I went for a lovely walk on the beach yesterday with the family which allowed the kids to burn off a bit of energy. A big wide beach with plenty of space between people. As always a bit of common sense is required and if the location you go to is packed and full of cars then it is better to keep driving and go somewhere else.

Gingerjohn,

I guess you was not out yesterday, and Bob,fresh air and sunlight may be good for tackling viruses. That is not the argument,everybody is supposed to stay 2 metres away from other people. What if other people do not want to stay 2 metres away from you. What are you going to do? spend all your leisurely walk pushing people away from you.

Archived