coronavirus

Having been on Universal Credit for a while until a couple of years ago, working from home is oddly familiar. Only now I'm actually doing useful work instead of looking for it.

My company has spent the last year or so migrating everything to a cloud-based system, so it is as if we prepared for this crisis in advance. We're having video meetings/chat (work and social) on Microsoft Teams, so I still see and talk to people.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

I guess you was not out yesterday

Correct. I saw how bad it was on Saturday and so stayed in yesterday.

If people are coming hurling at me there's not much I can do. But I'm trying to avoid going out particularly often (only for exercise, dog-walking and essential shopping) and I'm trying to make sure that where I go is as quiet as possible.

It's not perfect but it's about as risk free as I can manage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Damien,

A friend of mine from Liverpool rang me last night to see how we were getting on. He said him and his wife were fine and went for a walk yesterday afternoon on Formby beach. He said the place was absolutely packed as if half of Liverpool had decided to find a quiet place.I asked him how he managed to stay 2 metres away from other people,he said you was lucky to be able to keep 1 foot away never mind 2 metres. He did however say everybody was in good spirits with no sign of any trouble. I wonder if it would have stayed that way if somebody had decided they did not anybody so close to them and pushed people away. A perfect reason why there should be a complete lockdown. You may be sensible but there is a hell of a lot that are not.

I walked through Leeds city centre to get to St James Hospital this morning, much more sensible than taking the bus I thought. I have to say I had no trouble at all from staying two meters away from everyone as there was hardly anyone about. They must all have been in the parks and beaches instead.

31 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Gingerjohn,

I guess you was not out yesterday, and Bob,fresh air and sunlight may be good for tackling viruses. That is not the argument,everybody is supposed to stay 2 metres away from other people. What if other people do not want to stay 2 metres away from you. What are you going to do? spend all your leisurely walk pushing people away from you.

My experience is that once legal restrictions come in, people take the whole thing more seriously. Until then, it is impossible for many people to be responsible. And others just won’t be. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Fevtom, I s that because most of the stores have decided to take matters into their own hands and closed up,or has that not taken effect yet.Here in Spain Fev. I live with lots of open space in front of me a large playing area at the bottom of my road with a basketball court and lots of room for the kids to play football,skate or ride their boards etc. Since lockdown was applied here 9 days ago I have notseen one single child or teenager on either the open spaces or the playing area. In actual fact the only odd person you do see is the few dog walkers breaking the law by doing what they want. as yet nobody has been caught and fined around here yet but wait until they do and get their 600 euro fine and that will be nobody on the streets.

25 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Fevtom, I s that because most of the stores have decided to take matters into their own hands and closed up,or has that not taken effect yet.Here in Spain Fev. I live with lots of open space in front of me a large playing area at the bottom of my road with a basketball court and lots of room for the kids to play football,skate or ride their boards etc. Since lockdown was applied here 9 days ago I have notseen one single child or teenager on either the open spaces or the playing area. In actual fact the only odd person you do see is the few dog walkers breaking the law by doing what they want. as yet nobody has been caught and fined around here yet but wait until they do and get their 600 euro fine and that will be nobody on the streets.

Some are closing by their own decision now. I believe the biggest clothes shops such as Primark and H&M decided to close even though they aren't required to yet. Restaurants that were still being allowed to remain open for take away such as McDonalds and many coffee shops are now closing through their own choice too.

It does seem like some businesses are in front of the government here. Even from the start when the government announced sports events would still go ahead it was only a few hours later the Premier League announced their postponements. Some school were already being forced to shut through lack of staff before the government told them to close.

From what I've seen we don't seem to be social distancing as much as other European countries. It's interesting what you say about the kids in Spain. There's a park near me and it was busier than ever with kids over the weekend and some of our national parks saw record levels of visitors.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Same here, I went for a lovely walk on the beach yesterday with the family which allowed the kids to burn off a bit of energy. A big wide beach with plenty of space between people. As always a bit of common sense is required and if the location you go to is packed and full of cars then it is better to keep driving and go somewhere else.

The flaw with a number of people

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My young just phoned me. I believe he will have had bbc parliament on

The Corona Virus Bill is having it's second (and probably third) reading in the House of Commons today, assuming it is passed it would give the Government the powers to order a lockdown, but it's not the same as actually doing it. 

I'd welcome it if they did mind. I work with a number of epidemiological experts that will not stop coming in until ordered to by the "over reacting knee jerk" government. 

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Because sport has been cancelled in Europe, Sky have a lot of time to fill, but glancing through the schedules, there doesn't seem to be much Rugby League, despite Sky's back catalogue.

As i put in the "virtual pub" forum thread - now would be a great time if people know of links to youtube or the like footage of lower level clubs - post them up, us southern poofters who dont get to see as much live can do so and the heartlanders may see some footage of clubs/players outside the area they dont usually see

Would be a great way to watch games a lot of us wont know the result of - i mean there is a limit to the number of times you can watch the same SL match over and over and enjoy it because that same player still keeps making the stupid 50/50 offload or knocking on that simple pass (you think they would learn)

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Bob8, 

Absolutely correct, it is no use asking people to do this,do that.To many people these days think they can do what they want and can not think for themselves. Lockdown is the only way forward.

yes, a)timing is important as if want it on for a length of time, hence I am fine with the Medical experts guiding as and when needed... plus b)its evident in my opinion that the government is conditioning people to expect it, that is to ensure maximum acceptance.

Given that with a free press and democracy ignoring the  political points scoring as to which ever way the decision goes and as to timing... acceptance of harsh measures are key.  

I have no doubt that whatever decision and timing their will always be large numbers of people, commentators and journalist always ready to question say in this instance stricter restrictions.

You know its coming and this applies to any political party in power when the opposition aware of the whispers in Whitehall come out prior to a decision to say its time for this and that... in this case Labour (would be same if opposition was conservative) saying its time for more restrictions. Then it can look as if its their pressure causing a change.   As distinct from whatever government taking the advise of SAGE/CMO/CSO as to when the best moment for max effect and sustainability... etc...

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

Some are closing by their own decision now. I believe the biggest clothes shops such as Primark and H&M decided to close even though they aren't required to yet. Restaurants that were still being allowed to remain open for take away such as McDonalds and many coffee shops are now closing through their own choice too.

It does seem like some businesses are in front of the government here. Even from the start when the government announced sports events would still go ahead it was only a few hours later the Premier League announced their postponements. Some school were already being forced to shut through lack of staff before the government told them to close.

From what I've seen we don't seem to be social distancing as much as other European countries. It's interesting what you say about the kids in Spain. There's a park near me and it was busier than ever with kids over the weekend and some of our national parks saw record levels of visitors.

They aren't 'in front' of the government!  They are responding to customers disappearing and also to the heightened awareness of their employee and customer safety.  I go into a Costa every morning on the way to work.  Last week they'd shoved all the tables to the edges, closed off the remaining café area and were just serving take aways.  But up to that point, for about a week, there'd hardly been a soul in the seated areas anyway and the queue for take aways was way down on normal but then in their local area only my office, pretty much, is still working.  The Pret nearby closed over a week ago.  The number of punters just fell through the floor and so there is no point in opening.  Nothing to do with being ahead of the government.

Archived