coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just in from a guy I know, educated and apparently intelligent, who passed this on to seven of us and resented my comment that it was a fake. I've since debunked it through various fact checking organisations

At The Princess of Wales hospital. NHS staff have been sent this:

This is the advice given to hospital staff.
It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.
Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....

Sent in to us just now and we wanted to share this knowledge & advice with you all.

Please do the same and take care!

AIbEiAIAAABECIq4ntTPt7uH4gEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxZWM3ZTMyOWNiMzY0MWRlZWU5OGE1NDUzOTVlYmIwNmFjOTY0MzU1MAFHF1p5T-ML5U348XfuPU_m4hsjmQ?sz=40
ReplyReply allForward

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

They aren't 'in front' of the government!  They are responding to customers disappearing and also to the heightened awareness of their employee and customer safety.  I go into a Costa every morning on the way to work.  Last week they'd shoved all the tables to the edges, closed off the remaining café area and were just serving take aways.  But up to that point, for about a week, there'd hardly been a soul in the seated areas anyway and the queue for take aways was way down on normal but then in their local area only my office, pretty much, is still working.  The Pret nearby closed over a week ago.  The number of punters just fell through the floor and so there is no point in opening.  Nothing to do with being ahead of the government.

Agreed - it was across the board, I'm a regular user of Starbucks and McDonalds as temporary office space between appointments, business has been dropping off for weeks, both were empty last week.

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This just in from a guy I know, educated and apparently intelligent, who passed this on to seven of us and resented my comment that it was a fake. I've since debunked it through various fact checking organisations

At The Princess of Wales hospital. NHS staff have been sent this:

AIbEiAIAAABECIq4ntTPt7uH4gEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxZWM3ZTMyOWNiMzY0MWRlZWU5OGE1NDUzOTVlYmIwNmFjOTY0MzU1MAFHF1p5T-ML5U348XfuPU_m4hsjmQ?sz=40
ReplyReply allForward

Good grief, indeed.

All the hallmarks of a fake, the allusion to authority that is untraceable and somehow passed on through friends rather than an official statement.

You will not win friends! There are plenty who think the authoritites and biopharma companies wasted a fortune on consultantes when they could just have asked Facebook or a rugby league forum.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

52 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I did exactly the same last night with the same idiot message. Hydrogen Peroxide can kill you if ingested and has done as people have been trying to use it to whiten their teeth. The BMA put out a warning about it a little while ago after several deaths through ingestion.
ReplyReply allForward

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

After a bit od discussion, I cheered him up with this. 

Heard a Doctor on TV say to get through the bordom of self isolation we should finish things we start and thus have more calm in our lives. 

So I looked through the house to  find all the things i've started but hadn't finished...so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. 

Sned this to all who need inner ######. An telum u luvum. ???

It was expected but it's still a gutpunch.

Mrs Ginger received the text from the NHS about twenty minutes ago. An extra vulnerable adult. Stay inside for 12 weeks. Nobody in the house is to go within 3 steps of you. A few other things.

I am now drinking a very large glass of wine and Mrs Ginger is watching Mallory Towers. We all cope in our own different ways.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It was expected but it's still a gutpunch.

Mrs Ginger received the text from the NHS about twenty minutes ago. An extra vulnerable adult. Stay inside for 12 weeks. Nobody in the house is to go within 3 steps of you. A few other things.

I am now drinking a very large glass of wine and Mrs Ginger is watching Mallory Towers. We all cope in our own different ways.

Expect the army round with your parcel or provisions. Hope you all come through this well and unscathed. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Expect the army round with your parcel or provisions. Hope you all come through this well and unscathed. 

Those provisions better include my bodyweight in red wine. I'm not going through this sober.

EDIT

I should add that we are very lucky in some ways. Mrs Ginger can be the madwoman in the attic and essentially live in our nice new roof extension without coming into contact with anyone else. We also have a decent garden so going completely potty indoors won't happen. We are a lot better placed than most other people who receive this text will be.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The current scare story is about how NHS people are being mugged for their IDs at knifepoint. I've seen six versions so far "my mate's mate said"

FFS...

The police asked this morning on Twitter for people with any evidence they were real to come forward because they'd had no reports at all.

Just f***ing stop it. And stop f***ing sharing it!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

The current scare story is about how NHS people are being mugged for their IDs at knifepoint. I've seen six versions so far "my mate's mate said"

FFS...

The police asked this morning on Twitter for people with any evidence they were real to come forward because they'd had no reports at all.

Just f***ing stop it. And stop f***ing sharing it!

It's the same as the scare stories that do the rounds about letters with razor blades in and the like. Nobody ever knows someone it actually happened to.

My partner is in a senior position in a hospital. A lot of her staff are genuinely scared as they’ve had a lot of time to see on TV what’s coming and the possible consequences are now well known to them all. 

The local schools are still providing for our kids thanks to her job which gives some relief but to get that relief it also comes with being in a family at high risk of getting the virus. She’s already been tested once (negative) and we expect her to be tested again.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Lockdown

Good.

Pleased to see this happen - we could have done without the last weekend of madness like some last days of Rome nonsense - and that the police will have enforcement powers.

No option for Boris . To many idiots who just don’t listen . I need to go for very regular essential care , I need infrequent shopping visits . I can live without everything else . Gatherings in food shops though is a concern , I don’t know how you deal with that 

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not looking forward to the next few weeks but there it is. 

Not sure if it means most places of work are shut, excepting vital services?

He made the point that if you can work from home then you must do so 

My diary will be clear after I nip down to my customers and pick up my tools in the morning 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

No option for Boris . To many idiots who just don’t listen . I need to go for very regular essential care , I need infrequent shopping visits . I can live without everything else . Gatherings in food shops though is a concern , I don’t know how you deal with that 

They need to look at dedicated times for shopping based on names 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I guess that if gathering in shops becomes a concern then you literally say "S-Z can go to Sainsbury's at 10am, A-F in Asda at midday" and so on ...

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Lots of jobs including mine are impossible to do from home. It’s not an option for the majority I’d suggest.

Neither is mine , but I've no longer any work anyway 

What do you do ?

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I guess that if gathering in shops becomes a concern then you literally say "S-Z can go to Sainsbury's at 10am, A-F in Asda at midday" and so on ...

Indeed . It is a concern , I think I’m in a vulnerable group somewhere and that would be the only place where I’d be among a group , as the clinics are keeping people apart 

Just ordered some stuff from Argos, can I collect?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived