coronavirus

This is only a part lockdown, only essential shops can stay open, B&Q. Sports Direct,W.H. Smiths are these essential. Only go out once a day with your family if you live in the same house,.How long will it take before a parent tells the kids to get ready we are going out for the day to the coast. Officer,I have only been out once,I came out at 8 o clock this morning and I am now going back home. It is only half past seven it is still light.Go out for a walk or a run, Officer I am running a marathon today,or I am going on a 50 mile bike ride,100 mile there and back.

Only go out for essentials, Officer I am going to the paper shop,I can not live without my Daily Mirror.An absolute joke of a lockdown,only use public transport if you are going to work,so,this mornings tubes packed again.As somebody posted earlier,how in gods name can anybody patrol this farce.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really not helping the government that we have yet another gorgeous sunny day out there and this is following weeks of biblically bad storms.

That's no excuse at all but everyone was already a little stir crazy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

This is only a part lockdown, only essential shops can stay open, B&Q. Sports Direct,W.H. Smiths are these essential. Only go out once a day with your family if you live in the same house,.How long will it take before a parent tells the kids to get ready we are going out for the day to the coast. Officer,I have only been out once,I came out at 8 o clock this morning and I am now going back home. It is only half past seven it is still light.Go out for a walk or a run, Officer I am running a marathon today,or I am going on a 50 mile bike ride,100 mile there and back.

Only go out for essentials, Officer I am going to the paper shop,I can not live without my Daily Mirror.An absolute joke of a lockdown,only use public transport if you are going to work,so,this mornings tubes packed again.As somebody posted earlier,how in gods name can anybody patrol this farce.

Right, we know how you will act. Not everyone is like you.

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Outstanding communication yet again. 

I have a FB friend with mental health challenges and he is already in free fall over this advice that Hove got wrong. 

Without brining politics into this,  did you see Gove's interview.?

He was very very very clear. He said he'd got in wrong on Good Morning Britain (I think that was the  prog he was on earlier  on.)

His admission and correction was very very clear.

Taking to our French friends in Vichy yesterday. They live in an apartment in the city centre. She is not allowed out at all. He is allowed out. Each time he goes out he has to take a new attestation with him, signed, dated, and with one purpose only ticked. Can't go to the pharmacy AND do necessary supplies shopping on the same trip, for example. 

Since the rules were introduced a week ago, he has not been ckecked by the police at all. Indeed, he's not seen any.

However, they are guarding the lakeside garden and paths and checking everyone.

Outside the towns,  you get the Gendarmes,  a branch of the army.  They are armed and not to be argued with.

Our police seem to be trying to be too friendly and liked. What we need now is a bit of authority from them.

John M.

Not me, I am in Spain where I am in total lockdown. However my two sons and their wives and my 5 grandchildren,my brother and his wife,my sister and her husband and their children all live in England.That is my concern,for my family.You quoted friends of yours in France. Well I am in the same situation as them but at least I have a garden.I actually have been stopped on my way to the supermarket and actually showed the Guardia the wifes shopping list which was acceptable.If you are going to the chemist you have to show either your medical card or prescription,to the doctors,your appointment.However as I have posted several times on here the streets,play areas,parks are completely deserted.The Guardia rule here,you do what they tell you or else.I posted a comment yesterday on this forum that since the lockdown started I have not one child or teenager on the play area at the bottom of my street or on the acres of spare land,play area opposite my house.My neighbour actually waived to me this mornin over the wall. The first time I have seen him since the lockdown,even though he messages the wife and I to make sure we are o.k. Neighbours at either side of me are Spanish in their 30s and both of them religiously stick to the law.This is what needs to be done in the U.K. In my opinion of course.

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Taking to our French friends in Vichy yesterday. They live in an apartment in the city centre. She is not allowed out at all. He is allowed out. Each time he goes out he has to take a new attestation with him, signed, dated, and with one purpose only ticked. Can't go to the pharmacy AND do necessary supplies shopping on the same trip, for example. 

Since the rules were introduced a week ago, he has not been ckecked by the police at all. Indeed, he's not seen any.

Outside the towns,  you get the Gendarmes,  a branch of the army.  They are armed and not to be argued with.

Our police seem to be trying to be too friendly and liked. What we need now is a bit of authority from them.

To be (moderately) fair, I've seen posts from both the local Hastings police and the wider Sussex police saying that they are now (only now they've been allowed) working how to enforce the lockdown. I guess a lot will depend on what enforcement they are allowed and what 'laws' people are contravening.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Like this? 

Edit just realised sweary word on display

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Without brining politics into this,  did you see Gove's interview.?

He was very very very clear. He said he'd got in wrong on Good Morning Britain (I think that was the  prog he was on earlier  on.)

His admission and correction was very very clear.

And for those who saw the first interview and not the correction?

Having to correct a key message shortly after you have made it is not good communication John. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And for those who saw the first interview and not the correction?

Having to correct a key message shortly after you have made it is not good communication John. 

Correcting a key message shortly after having made it  is not good communications, I agree. It is great communications. Far better than trying to cover up mistakes.

1. It was early on and only GMB with the forums favourite son Piers Morgan so not many people would have seen it

2. On the same session he said Ashley should rescind his decision to open Sports Direct, which is what he did.

3 . As people start to dig into the detail of the new measures, there will be an increasing number of new but rare combinations of situations that will need clarifying. Here the media have a part to play. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I've seen it written that corner shops can stay open?

The rest ... *waves arms in general imitation of stupidity*

yep, where I live the corner shop is only place to get food without getting the car out and driving a distance.  It seems essential to me... 

Of course depending upon what is meant by corner shop....

We can all nit pick our way through whatever regulations/restrictions and ask questions... the measures have to be fairly broad to ease clarity and communications. but we could put in a whole load of complications... but if this, but that..

Ignoring any miss-steps or communications hiccups from other ministers, other politicians and journalist whom often miss-quote.  Their is also a degree of common sense required... like a sports shop thinking it can stay open if it isn't specifically mentioned.. when it is obvious it isn't essential retail. Its obvious to err on the side of caution.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It still amazes me that these flights are still going all over the place!

Me too. Thought there would be next to zero.

Quite a few of the flights are north sea oil, gas and wind farm trips, as well as military trainers out of Cranwell. No doubt some relocation and repatriation and cargo flights?

Looking up to the sky here and there are hardly any flights at all compared with last week.

Have a look at the US, though  later on and you'll see thousands of flights.  

Anyway, must go. Have to put out my Plague Box  as expecting ASDA drop soon ( substitution: they are sending SUPREME quilted toilet tissue instead of plain old quilted, decaf coffee instead of normal, , no bread flour and no yeast)

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Correcting a key message shortly after having made it  is not good communications, I agree. It is great communications. Far better than trying to cover up mistakes.

No, giving a coherent message without contradiction and with everyone singing from the same hymn sheet is great communications.

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

1. It was early on and only GMB with the forums favourite son Piers Morgan so not many people would have seen it

Come on now John. This isn't political, this is a conversation purely on communication. 

This morning Gove gave the wrong answer on the biggest morning show in the country. He had to correct it. 

The fact he corrected it clearly does not make this whole thing great communication. 

And it cannot be guaranteed that those who got the first message have now received the correction. That is not great communication.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Me too. Thought there would be next to zero.

Quite a few of the flights are north sea oil, gas and wind farm trips, as well as military trainers out of Cranwell. No doubt some relocation and repatriation and cargo flights?

Looking up to the sky here and there are hardly any flights at all compared with last week.

Have a look at the US, though  later on and you'll see thousands of flights.  

Anyway, must go. Have to put out my Plague Box  as expecting ASDA drop soon ( substitution: they are sending SUPREME quilted toilet tissue instead of plain old quilted, decaf coffee instead of normal, , no bread flour and no yeast)

toilet roll? What's that?

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

This just in from a guy I know, educated and apparently intelligent, who passed this on to seven of us and resented my comment that it was a fake. I've since debunked it through various fact checking organisations

At The Princess of Wales hospital. NHS staff have been sent this:

This is the advice given to hospital staff.
It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.
Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....

Sent in to us just now and we wanted to share this knowledge & advice with you all.

Please do the same and take care!

AIbEiAIAAABECIq4ntTPt7uH4gEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxZWM3ZTMyOWNiMzY0MWRlZWU5OGE1NDUzOTVlYmIwNmFjOTY0MzU1MAFHF1p5T-ML5U348XfuPU_m4hsjmQ?sz=40
ReplyReply allForward

Yeah these kinds of things are really dangerous. Even in just the bit I highlighted the amount of errors is shocking. The infection does not cause fibrosis and fibrosis probably wouldn't stop you holding your breath for ten seconds. Someone who believes this might wrongly assume they don't have the virus and go help their vulnerable parents. Almost every other thing written in there is completely wrong too. I work in the healthcare profession (albeit not on the front line) and it's worrying how many of my colleagues are sharing things like this. There really should be something done on social media to highlight this kind of ****.

As a general rule any long winded explanation that talks about "experts" or "scientists" without a source is just made up.

I don't think it is helpful to post and repeat false advice no matter what the intention is. It can easily be misread as fact or lodged at some subconscious level, particularly when there is so much changing news and guidance floating about.

Archived