coronavirus

2 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Smudger,

The construction sites are still working in London. Of course road and utility workers are important. Building sites that are going on for the next 5 or 6 years are not. My point is that if the self employed situation had been thought out before hand the situation regarding the packed tubes would have certainly eased.Unless these Main Contractors guarantee to pay these workmen,which you and I know they will not,this overcrowding situation will carry on.

Good point. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am self employed , this morning I drove to my customers house ( I started the job last week ) did the last couple of hours to finish the job , loaded up and are now at home , where I shall remain , ( probably won't get another job until this is all over with , and quite possibly a month or two afterwards ) , fortunately got a sizeable garden and a fair bit of jobs needing doing 

Given how stressed the wife and daughter already are after just a morning , it's going to be fun ?

The problem with the self employed is the considerable range and disparity between incomes , and the ability to prove it , difficult scenario title the government , personally plumbers and sparks should be fine without any money considering what they charge ?

44 minutes ago, ckn said:

Not just construction workers. Lots of "suits" who see themselves as essential in their law firms, accountancy, estate agencies and so on. So stuck up their own rectums that they can't see the world outside of their little world where they're a big fish in a tiny pond.

The contrast is the people who write the pandemic response documents typically put themselves below refuge collectors.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Gubrats,

Yes,you are correct.If you work on private jobs as your main work then cash changes hands which is difficult to trace. But I am sure you send your tax returns in every year and make sure you show you are making a small profit and I do not blame you for that. But,working that way,you are not guaranteed a salary every month.The blokes working for Construction companies are usually guaranteed regular money as long as you can do the job you are being paid for.

20 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It was like a spoof caller but it wasn’t. There are no words (that this forum will allow) that I can use

"You're happy to die for a day at the beach"

"Yeah"

I am now desperate to know what goes on at that beach if it's good enough to mean that the rest of your life has no purpose.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"Yeah"

I am now desperate to know what goes on at that beach if it's good enough to mean that the rest of your life has no purpose.

She did mention Fair Oak and Eastleigh, I'm happy to believe life holds little attraction for her.

I think this is where we need to go to as a country because of the f***wittery of some:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

"Yeah"

And if it’s that good then it is one to visit (after the pandemic has finished)

24 minutes ago, ckn said:

Another one to boycott, if you're not already doing it:

Advice please. How can I boycott someone or something I have never bought from in the first place and have no intention of ever buying from?

Just now, JohnM said:

Advice please. How can I boycott someone or something I have never bought from in the first place and have no intention of ever buying from. 

You can harrumph at them as you drive past once this is all done. If you're really annoyed, rustle your Telegraph at them ?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I read yesterday about Diageo pledging to donate enough alcohol to make 8 million bottles of hand sanitizers too:

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2020-03-23/diageo-pledges-eight-million-bottles-of-hand-sanitiser/

That's a good gesture of them I guess.

"Diageo usually makes a host of brands, like Guinness, Baileys, Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff and more."

Didn't know all those brands were from the same distiller.

83 deaths in the last 24 hours, including 21 at one London Trust.

I'm stuck at home and it's soul destroying trying to support these clinicians saving lives but also desperately worried about themselves and their families.

Archived