coronavirus

39 minutes ago, francisbaud said:

That's a good gesture of them I guess.

"Diageo usually makes a host of brands, like Guinness, Baileys, Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff and more."

Didn't know all those brands were from the same distiller.

More than just those, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diageo#Products 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm in a none critical role for 95% of my job.

The prime minister said work from home where poss...

The NHS says get your ar se into base....  fab. Just fab.

I'm on leave this week, but my sources are suggesting I'll be working from home come Monday. Initially we were advised to keep attending as usual, as there wasn't sufficient capacity for everyone to work remotely and priority was being given to setting up contingency plans for medical staff who could potentially work off site, like radiographers. Sometimes things only make sense when you're given the full picture.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

20 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I'm on leave this week, but my sources are suggesting I'll be working from home come Monday. Initially we were advised to keep attending as usual, as there wasn't sufficient capacity for everyone to work remotely and priority was being given to setting up contingency plans for medical staff who could potentially work off site, like radiographers. Sometimes things only make sense when you're given the full picture.

We've moved all non-smartcard users to NHS Mail's public servers and Microsoft OneDrive for documents meaning not a single bit of internal NHS bandwidth needed. All other internal-only apps are stood down unless critical, even the intranet has been stripped of essential stuff and stuck on OneDrive folders. Those users are all now at home.

That means that we've plenty, and I mean plenty, of capacity for clinical staff who CAN work at home but need internal access via VPN to do so.

Doesn't take much nouse, it just needs some folk to not be complete plonkers in insisting folk turn up to work just for the hell of it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I think (only think) that driving is safe. But, it is hard to trust that people are really going to stay in the car and not meet up with people. The rules have to be easy to police too.

Last week, I drove to forests and emjoyed splendid isolation. But, were I stopped on the road, coudl they believe my claim? Safer to make m ehave to justify why I was out at all.

With regards driving I was going off what one of the 'experts' said on the TV, could you be trusted to not stop somewhere for a coffee or a toilet or what about putting in petrol . I know that some of the public give the impression of being idiots but some of us can behave responsibly, you can use gloves and pay at the pump, and I'm not thinking of driving to Italy or suchlike!

With regards the MOT garages are still open and testing for cars is still allowed though it's suspended for commercial vehicles, buses and trailers, where I have booked mine in has told me to ring tomorrow afternoon as he's playing day by day with staff etc, so there's still hope.

I think living day to day is the best that anyone can hope for at present.

A good post in the Bradford local paper.

Police Sergeant Green,

Dear Drug Dealers,

You are not classed as key workers,

Please stay at home for the next 3 weeks.

Away from death rates and reality ... the FA has ended the season at Steps 5 and below in the national league system.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System

They are now deciding whether to void the whole thing, promote/relegate based on points per game, or some other alternative.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My ISP appears to be throttling my VPN speed.  Making things difficult.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Away from death rates and reality ... the FA has ended the season at Steps 5 and below in the national league system.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System

They are now deciding whether to void the whole thing, promote/relegate based on points per game, or some other alternative.

It is hard to imagine how it would not count as a gathering of more than two people.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, ckn said:

We've moved all non-smartcard users to NHS Mail's public servers and Microsoft OneDrive for documents meaning not a single bit of internal NHS bandwidth needed. All other internal-only apps are stood down unless critical, even the intranet has been stripped of essential stuff and stuck on OneDrive folders. Those users are all now at home.

That means that we've plenty, and I mean plenty, of capacity for clinical staff who CAN work at home but need internal access via VPN to do so.

Doesn't take much nouse, it just needs some folk to not be complete plonkers in insisting folk turn up to work just for the hell of it.

My employer (the civil service no less) has finally sent us all home, today.  Too late for me not to be exposed to a colleague sitting right beside me all last week (NOT 2m away) who stayed off today with Covid symptoms.  Thank you employer for ignoring my pleas to work from home last week due to the contact I have to have with my elderly mum.

We're apparently on a rota over the next three weeks whereby individuals may be called in for a day here and there as they are operating a skeleton staff, given that we are no key workers.

The trains were heaven.  Down to one an hour (from the usual five an hour) but four coaches and few enough people on them to allow easily 2m between us.  

1 minute ago, Copa said:

This will have an interesting affect on many people who abuse drugs. Limited supplies will cause withdrawals.

If the lock down goes on long enough they may successfully withdraw and discover that having some self respect and being conscious is actually quite attractive.

Just now, JohnM said:

Interview on fRadio Lincolnshire with a Lincoln  gin distillery  that is now producing hand sanitiser for free for emergency services.

A few brewery type places across the country appear to be doing that.

A company in Blackburn that makes quilts and pillow cases has turned some of its production line over to making face masks and hospital gowns.  Apparently it did the same thing in response to the Ebola outbreak.

Dyson and GTECH and a few others are rapidly getting on with producing ventilators.  Apparently one of these new ones, designed in just three days, was successfully used on a Covid patient in Wales.

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

My employer (the civil service no less) has finally sent us all home, today.  Too late for me not to be exposed to a colleague sitting right beside me all last week (NOT 2m away) who stayed off today with Covid symptoms.  Thank you employer for ignoring my pleas to work from home last week due to the contact I have to have with my elderly mum.

We're apparently on a rota over the next three weeks whereby individuals may be called in for a day here and there as they are operating a skeleton staff, given that we are no key workers.

The trains were heaven.  Down to one an hour (from the usual five an hour) but four coaches and few enough people on them to allow easily 2m between us.  Shame that when I got to work I discovered the guy who had been sitting next to me all last week (before my irresponsible employer had decided to impose the 2m gap) was off work with Covid symptoms.  I'm now waiting for the bell to toll. 

I hope you don't catch it. Best wishes with that. Get as much rest as you can to give your immune system the best chances to fight it off.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

I hope you don't catch it. Best wishes with that. Get as much rest as you can to give your immune system the best chances to fight it off.

Thank you.

What troubles me is that I could have been infected but asymptomatic for a few days, busily infecting my 80+ year old mum. ? 

have been trying to get the mrs to put on that nurses outfit for 2 years, I never thought it would take us to run out of bread and milk for her to go and do it!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

It still amazes me that these flights are still going all over the place!

I would have said yes... until I heard some estimates are that the UK has maybe 1million travelers abroad, another 500,000... replicate this for major european countries.

Made worse by countries shutting international hubs,,, thus means may have a flight from Sydney but can't because its normal hubs are shut.

I guess an example where countries needed to work together.

6 hours ago, ckn said:

Not just construction workers. Lots of "suits" who see themselves as essential in their law firms, accountancy, estate agencies and so on. So stuck up their own rectums that they can't see the world outside of their little world where they're a big fish in a tiny pond.

well my neighbour is a partner in the largest UK law firm and one of the largest if not largest worldwide and all their UK offices are shut, as from last week.  Its taken a bit of organizing and sorting hence  the odd person in the office helping.

So maybe just too broad a brush your comment as I am sure many commercial services firms are following advice. 

Maybe some of the smaller firms that don't have the infrastructure may take longer to sort themselves. Although I guess if I was in a house transaction and my money has just transferred to a solicitor I may be getting a little worried that the purchase/sale happens or that my money is safe and be happy he/she was working on it if he can not do so remotely.  Yep I know it isn't live saving and at the very top of life concerns but its an extremely anxious time for someone.

Today following Johnson's Monday night message I have been at home fiddling around.We were told only essential workers should go in . Being self employed I obviously will take a financial hit but I was more concerned about doing the right thing .Then this afternoon we have Matt Hancock saying you should go  to work to keep the economy going. Where is the clarity? Where is the help for the self employed?   Morally I don't want to go but now I am confused with these jokers.

Archived