coronavirus

44 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

A few brewery type places across the country appear to be doing that.

A company in Blackburn that makes quilts and pillow cases has turned some of its production line over to making face masks and hospital gowns.  Apparently it did the same thing in response to the Ebola outbreak.

Dyson and GTECH and a few others are rapidly getting on with producing ventilators.  Apparently one of these new ones, designed in just three days, was successfully used on a Covid patient in Wales.

similar things are happening all over Australia. Companies doing at cost or better deals to produce what we might need over the coming months.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Today following Johnson's Monday night message I have been at home fiddling around.We were told only essential workers should go in . Being self employed I obviously will take a financial hit but I was more concerned about doing the right thing .Then this afternoon we have Matt Hancock saying you should go  to work to keep the economy going. Where is the clarity? Where is the help for the self employed?   Morally I don't want to go but now I am confused with these jokers.

never heard Johnson say only essential workers should go in nor do the guidelines say that.

The guidelines clearly say one of the 4 exceptions is

- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.  (Adhering to 2m apart distancing).

Now you we may argue whether essential workers only should work and shutdown the whole of industry except the absolute essential work. Looking to how long this could last I ain't sure that's a good idea but an argument for the political page I may suggest..

So the guidelines are clear to me... can of course argue not the ones that one would like to see. Then of course that debate and argument will lead to disagreement and further confusion on what the the advice says. Especially bearing in mind impossible to consider every possible circumstance hence focus on guiding principles.

As to support for self employed, yep I have family members looking to government for their plan.  Each very different so I can understand the difficult in designing the method of recompense that works for the maximum.

Went for a run tonight - chose the route to include quieter roads and wide paths

The town was much, much quieter, so it seems people are taking heed. Much less numbers of runners, cyclists and dog walkers about

Most observed the 2 metre principle, I or the other person crossed the road, if the path was narrower than 2m

Most road traffic was builders/white vans, so it seems that portion of the working population is still carrying on, probably because they have to

48 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Today following Johnson's Monday night message I have been at home fiddling around.We were told only essential workers should go in . Being self employed I obviously will take a financial hit but I was more concerned about doing the right thing .Then this afternoon we have Matt Hancock saying you should go  to work to keep the economy going. Where is the clarity? Where is the help for the self employed?   Morally I don't want to go but now I am confused with these jokers.

These things are taken out of context.  Some jobs are essential to keeping the country going and so those people need to go to work, for example those who keep our lights on, our heating going, our computers connected to the interweb.  But people selling sports gear really do not need to be at work and so should go home. 

I don't know what your field of work is but the government is working hard on trying to find a way of offering increased support to the self employed.  It's incredibly complicated and so any system will be a massive headache to construct.  Hopefully the government will get something sorted for you soon.

29 minutes ago, ckn said:

On-line Mass has been a very strange thing to get used to. Having a (hopefully) spiritual experience in the spare room is probably great, but different.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

well my neighbour is a partner in the largest UK law firm and one of the largest if not largest worldwide and all their UK offices are shut, as from last week.  Its taken a bit of organizing and sorting hence  the odd person in the office helping.

The courts are still working. So criminal-law and property-law lawyers are required to work.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 minute ago, Wolford6 said:

The courts are still working. So criminal-law and property-law lawyers are required to work.

and family law

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Went for a run tonight - chose the route to include quieter roads and wide paths

The town was much, much quieter, so it seems people are taking heed. Much less numbers of runners, cyclists and dog walkers about

Most observed the 2 metre principle, I or the other person crossed the road, if the path was narrower than 2m

Most road traffic was builders/white vans, so it seems that portion of the working population is still carrying on, probably because they have to

Service and maintenance needs to continue , others like myself who works on private homes doing improvements will end essentially straight away as the supply chains are all pretty much shut now 

53 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Aren't they only working remotely?  I know jury trials have been suspended until an alternative can be organised but I thought all other court business is now being done via screens and such like.

5 hours ago, Clogiron said:

With regards driving I was going off what one of the 'experts' said on the TV, could you be trusted to not stop somewhere for a coffee or a toilet or what about putting in petrol . I know that some of the public give the impression of being idiots but some of us can behave responsibly, you can use gloves and pay at the pump, and I'm not thinking of driving to Italy or suchlike!

With regards the MOT garages are still open and testing for cars is still allowed though it's suspended for commercial vehicles, buses and trailers, where I have booked mine in has told me to ring tomorrow afternoon as he's playing day by day with staff etc, so there's still hope.

I think living day to day is the best that anyone can hope for at present.

You are not allowed to drive unless you have a destination, and that destination is an allowed destination I.e home, work, supermarket and other allowed destinations. You can't just go out for a drive because you fancy a bit of a drive about, you must stay at home. 

I work in residential care, which is considered an essential service. I went to work on Sunday 3pm and left tonight at 11pm, stopping at a local garage to buy a couple of bottles of wine. One of my colleagues who I’d been working with also came to buy some stuff and without thinking came and stood by me, we got some funny looks from the guy stood behind us. Fortunately, I knew him from school and was able to explain that we’d spent the last 8 hours together so if one of us had it, we’d both have got it by now. He sensibly kept his distance though!

We’re in a strange place where I work - we have to keep looking after the kids, but we’ve already got a few people isolating. It’s a rural site, so we’re lucky in that respect, but we’ve got people coming in and out every day, so it’s going to hit us eventually.

In a way, we’re better it hitting us sooner and just locking the place down and keeping the same adults there for however long, but most have families and so on, so it’s not practical.

I’m single, no dependents, all my gigs have been cancelled, so I can stay there however long if needed, but before long we’re going to be really struggling to get enough people into work..

On 20/03/2020 at 19:35, ckn said:

I'm by no means even a knowledgeable amateur on this so apologies for the clarification questions here:

Does this mean that the government wouldn't just have to act as guarantor but provide direct liquidity funds to the banks? Would they do this through zero-interest loans to the banks where the banks would pay back as debtors repaid?

Do you know a better way to do it if you were in charge?

Singapore has now increased their measures valid until end of April; essentially, no groups of people and all entertainment venues are to be closed. Schools are still open.

I'll be working from my balcony until i am told otherwise.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

WTF? Is this genuine? 
This suggests only key workers are to go to work. My work have told us (via Union) that it’s pretty much business as usual because we don’t deal with the public. 

What is the actual situation?

NB I’m happy to go to work if possible.

As Saint 1 says this was initially put out but the to go to work (if you're a key worker) part was changed to to go to work (but work from home if possible). Mixed messages again.

29 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

WTF? Is this genuine? 
This suggests only key workers are to go to work. My work have told us (via Union) that it’s pretty much business as usual because we don’t deal with the public. 

You can go to work if you absolutely cannot work from home. (As long as No one in your household is self isolating) 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

You can go to work if you absolutely cannot work from home. (As long as No one in your household is self isolating) 

The emphasis & responsibilities on the employer , they should be following gov rules and be shut unless can demonstrate key sector. 

35 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

WTF? Is this genuine? 

It came out like that at first but was quickly changed. 

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

As Saint 1 says this was initially put out but the to go to work (if you're a key worker) part was changed to to go to work (but work from home if possible). Mixed messages again.

Not a mixed message, though.  A corrected and refined message. You want the oroginal message to be retained, or prefer to see things developed in the light of experience,  advice etc.

Just now, JohnM said:

Not a mixed message, though.  A corrected and refined message. You want the oroginal message to be retained, or prefer to see things developed in the light of experience,  advice etc.

Two different messages is a mixed message. It is nonsense to say otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Two different messages is a mixed message. It is nonsense to say otherwise.

If work is open. It's a key company and allowed to be open. If work are allowing you on site. You can't work from home. It's pretty simple and takes the emphasis off the worker and places it firmly on the employer. 

No. Are you suggesting that all messages ever issued are active.? That's nonsense. The later one supercedes the earlier one. It's an update. You view is the equivalent of accusing Apple of mixed messages every time it updates it's OS.

Archived