coronavirus

37 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Right. It 8 am. Join in now.  If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, 

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, 

If you're happy and you know it and you want the world to know it, If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, 

?????????

Where've I put the 2 fingered emoji? ? (And that's 40mins later ?)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Restricting my upper clothing to company polo shirts and company sweatshirts.

Loads of pairs of trousers but mainly using track suit bottoms.

Hopefully, I can get through this lockdown without having to do any ironing.

My working from attire consists entirely of Rugby jerseys, sports tops and shorts. All things that don't need ironing!

49 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Right. It 8 am. Join in now.  If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, 

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, 

If you're happy and you know it and you want the world to know it, If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, 

?????????

38 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I preferred the later slot (1.30pm?) Listen With Mother. I used to love that! 

Just done the PE with Joe Wicks session - I am on a work call now dripping with sweat. God, I am unfit!!!!

16 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Restricting my upper clothing to company polo shirts and company sweatshirts.

Loads of pairs of trousers but mainly using track suit bottoms.

Hopefully, I can get through this lockdown without having to do any ironing.

I'm not 100% anyone in this house could even locate the iron right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, ckn said:

The test is simple: but for COVID-19, would they have died? If no, then it’s COVID-19 as primary cause of death. We’ve had deaths of people with it but their COVID-19 symptoms were minor therefore they quite properly didn’t get flagged on the system as a COVID-19 death.

Straightforward enough. But with "social media" it's easy to spread the wrong info..  If only people would stop and think.

Another point: the use of the words "u turn" for any change in direction, any extra precision of advice etc.. Sensationalises even the slightest change in action, policy, advice etc.

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Straightforward enough. But with "social media" it's easy to spread the wrong info..  If only people would stop and think.

Another point: the use of the words "u turn" for any change in direction, any extra precision of advice etc.. Sensationalises even the slightest change in action, policy, advice etc.

100% agree, the Owen Jones' of the world refusing to accept differing scenarios as anything other than weaknesses. It's "Theresa May" syndrome of once a plan is in place then it's weakness to change, even if that plan is slowly pushing you feet first into a wood chipper.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Apologies for sharing from a political account. It's not really a political point, I'm making.

But could maybe @ckn or others explain how the point made in the video makes sense. You don't need family consent to count numbers killed in a car accident for example. Why do they need consent here?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Apologies for sharing from a political account. It's not really a political point, I'm making.

But could maybe @ckn or others explain how the point made in the video makes sense. You don't need family consent to count numbers killed in a car accident for example. Why do they need consent here?

It's billhooks. No other cause of death is filtered for family sensitivity. It'll be a Cummings masterplan of Trumpist nature to keep the death count down just in case it upsets the financial folk.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

It's billhooks. No other cause of death is filtered for family sensitivity. It'll be a Cummings masterplan of Trumpist nature to keep the death count down just in case it upsets the financial folk.

And this is something that shouldn't be accepted and should be challenged very loudly. You can't just massage the figures (they halved yesterday) and create a false position which could lead to complacency. Trying to be over-clever can kill people.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Surely as the figures are anonymous then no consent is needed. It sounds like complete rubbish.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Just done the PE with Joe Wicks session - I am on a work call now dripping with sweat. God, I am unfit!!!!

Join us on the firness thread.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

10 hours ago, ckn said:

The test is simple: but for COVID-19, would they have died? If no, then it’s COVID-19 as primary cause of death. We’ve had deaths of people with it but their COVID-19 symptoms were minor therefore they quite properly didn’t get flagged on the system as a COVID-19 death.

Unfortunately that is often impossible to know. Most deaths in hospital aren't so straight forward. You might be admitted with a heart attack, then while in hospital catch a staph and covid infection that causes pneumonia, this in turn might lead to multi organ failure and you ultimately die of cardiac arrest. Whether or not they'd have survived but for one factor is always going to involve a bit of guess work.

I'm probably being pedantic because I work in health care statistics but I always think it's clumsy when the news refers to the number of people dying of Covid-19 rather than dying with it. One thing I would say is that Covid-19 does appear to be aggressive than other infections like the flu so there probably is a higher percentage dying of it rather than just happening to have it.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And this is something that shouldn't be accepted and should be challenged very loudly. You can't just massage the figures (they halved yesterday) and create a false position which could lead to complacency. Trying to be over-clever can kill people.

Indeed and it should be the opposite. The public need to know the truth, warts and all, because publicising falls that haven't happened is downright dangerous and gives ammunition to people who think it wont affect them.

Just now, fevtom said:

Unfortunately that is often impossible to know. Most deaths in hospital aren't so straight forward. You might be admitted with a heart attack, then while in hospital catch a staph and covid infection that causes pneumonia, this in turn might lead to multi organ failure and you ultimately die of cardiac arrest. Whether or not they'd have survived but for one factor is always going to involve a bit of guess work.

I'm probably being pedantic because I work in health care statistics but I always think it's clumsy when the news refers to the number of people dying of Covid-19 rather than dying with it. One thing I would say is that Covid-19 does appear to be aggressive than other infections like the flu so there probably is a higher percentage dying of it rather than just happening to have it.

I know I shouldn't, but I'm always slightly amused when someone's death is reported as being 'after testing positive for covid-19'. Schrödinger's cat comes to mind.... 

Another sad one, I'm sure there will be many.

Seb Lewis, 38, who had attended 1,076 consecutive Charlton Athletic games, was admitted to hospital after suffering covid-19 symptoms. The virus was confirmed. He died today.

40 minutes ago, ckn said:

Alternatively, if it is true, then maybe the change has more to do with protecting the families than any conspiracy theory you appear intent upon believing.  Paramedics have been left homeless and others have been abused because of their work with or potential link to Covid 19. 

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Alternatively, if it is true, then maybe the change has more to do with protecting the families than any conspiracy theory you appear intent upon believing.  Paramedics have been left homeless and others have been abused because of their work with or potential link to Covid 19. 

Why would aggregated anonymous numbers need consent?

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

No-one cares about the families when suicides are reported. It's a matter of legal fact.

On your 2nd sentence, not sure what that has to do with death statistics. You're right, there are thwaites around the country abusing NHS folk, Kent Ambulances had 6 ambulances out of service due to vandalism the other night.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why would aggregated anonymous numbers need consent?

They aren't anonymous in the local community.  People will know, especially as the virus spreads.  There could be some very negative reactions.

However, that might all be billhooks as ckn would say.  I'm simply putting forward a theory.  I haven't heard any reference to this on the mainstream media news as yet, which is where I am getting my news from as I think it's more reliable than an internet discussion forum even though I'm still sceptical when I'm listening to the news.  At least I get to hear what government representatives directly.

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They aren't anonymous in the local community.  People will know, especially as the virus spreads.  There could be some very negative reactions.

However, that might all be billhooks as ckn would say.  I'm simply putting forward a theory.  I haven't heard any reference to this on the mainstream media news as yet, which is where I am getting my news from as I think it's more reliable than an internet discussion forum even though I'm still sceptical when I'm listening to the news.  At least I get to hear what government representatives directly.

And this is part of the problem, the halving of deaths was announced hours after the press conference meaning it couldn't be questioned and no context was added. 

It's pretty dangerous to lead people to believe this has halved at a time when you are trying to convince them this is serious and they should stay at home. 

Even if they did change methodology, it should have been announced with the numbers. 

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

No-one cares about the families when suicides are reported. It's a matter of legal fact.

On your 2nd sentence, not sure what that has to do with death statistics. You're right, there are thwaites around the country abusing NHS folk, Kent Ambulances had 6 ambulances out of service due to vandalism the other night.

I really don't see the link in release anonymous figures and attacks on Paramedics. They were anonymous before and will be anonymous after. Talk about grasping at straws.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I really don't see the link in release anonymous figures and attacks on Paramedics. They were anonymous before and will be anonymous after. Talk about grasping at straws.

The connection was people behaving badly I think.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived