coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Apologies for sharing from a political account. It's not really a political point, I'm making.

But could maybe @ckn or others explain how the point made in the video makes sense. You don't need family consent to count numbers killed in a car accident for example. Why do they need consent here?

This isn't a political point either. Its mor about how we may be adopting best practice from other countries. 

Last night Macron made another speech, this time from a virus centre in Mulhouse.Taking questions afterwards, a high flying member of the French Ministry of Health revealed that the official “death” and “contamination” figures for thev irus in France, and also in Germany, do not include people who die at home, nor in old people’s homes, as they have not been “tested”.

Only contamination and deaths in special coronavirus wards in hospitals are counted. So the figure for virus related deaths could be much higher. 

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This isn't a political point either. Its mor about how we may be adopting best practice from other countries. 

Last night Macron made another speech, this time from a virus centre in Mulhouse.Taking questions afterwards, a high flying member of the French Ministry of Health revealed that the official “death” and “contamination” figures for thev irus in France, and also in Germany, do not include people who die at home, nor in old people’s homes, as they have not been “tested”.

Only contamination and deaths in special coronavirus wards in hospitals are counted. So the figure for virus related deaths could be much higher. 

If they haven't been tested how can you possibly include them in the figures as you don't know for sure what they died of (unless there is a post-mortem which can identify it?)

Unbelievable that China's recovery figures make up two thirds of the global number of recoveries from COVID19. It's almost like they are in a race to close cases (as long as they are closed with a satisfactory outcome I.e recovered) and to hell with reality. 

29 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Whats a Iron?

I think its a device made by Apple to press clothes. I am not really sure as I could never be accused of being " a new man"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I do the bulk of the ironing in our house. My wife is just not good enough at it to meet my standards for my work stuff. It's an ex-squaddie thing I think...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I do the bulk of the ironing in our house. My wife is just not good enough at it to meet my standards for my work stuff. It's an ex-squaddie thing I think...

My dad used to pay a local Egyptian ' wallah ' to do his on his national service 

Did you see my question about the snorkel mask ? 

Have a quick look at this drone video of Cambridge. It shows the main roads in and out of the city - which would normally be gridlocked with traffic. The city centre would normally be packed with pedestrians and cyclists on a sunny day like today. The place is absolutely deserted - looks like a film set or something.

19 minutes ago, ckn said:

My wife's the same but I'm rapidly using up my stash of bri-nylon shirts. Anyone know where I can replenish my stocks (still have plenty of undies made from the stuff so no panic there)?

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm now starting to shake and convulsions. Local lass that does ironing service is holing up like the rest of us..... which means I have to iron my own or look a bit of a crumpled 2@.

I think I will opt for the latter....

59 minutes ago, M j M said:

If they haven't been tested how can you possibly include them in the figures as you don't know for sure what they died of (unless there is a post-mortem which can identify it?)

Like you, I can't do anything...apart from reporting what other countries who are clearly better in all other respects than ours, are doing.

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

They aren't anonymous in the local community.  People will know, especially as the virus spreads.  There could be some very negative reactions.

However, that might all be billhooks as ckn would say.  I'm simply putting forward a theory.  I haven't heard any reference to this on the mainstream media news as yet, which is where I am getting my news from as I think it's more reliable than an internet discussion forum even though I'm still sceptical when I'm listening to the news.  At least I get to hear what government representatives directly.

As cases rise it becomes less important - when there are 3 in an area in a day working out whether a recent death was or wasnt related is easy for friends/relatives, when there are 300 it is next to impossible to segregate the data

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm now starting to shake and convulsions. Local lass that does ironing service is holing up like the rest of us..... which means I have to iron my own or look a bit of a crumpled 2@.

Edit - not sure why I've quoted you Robin!

38 minutes ago, JonM said:

Have a quick look at this drone video of Cambridge. It shows the main roads in and out of the city - which would normally be gridlocked with traffic. The city centre would normally be packed with pedestrians and cyclists on a sunny day like today. The place is absolutely deserted - looks like a film set or something.

<snip>

It wasn't that quiet at 3 in the morning 40 odd years ago!

17 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Was she on holiday every time we've met ? ?

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Yes, me too.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

And this is part of the problem, the halving of deaths was announced hours after the press conference meaning it couldn't be questioned and no context was added. 

It's pretty dangerous to lead people to believe this has halved at a time when you are trying to convince them this is serious and they should stay at home. 

Even if they did change methodology, it should have been announced with the numbers. 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

In Cambridge they are taking it more seriously than here in St Helens, that's for sure.  While traffic isn't anywhere near as frequent nearby as normal, there is still a fair bit of it around, and more people are walking about here than there.  Maybe part of the difference is that where I live they have only back yards at best (lots of flats too) and so going for a walk is the only way to get away from the four walls.  But I have seen groups of three and four walking around occasionally, which is disappointing.  Mostly males, I have to say.

Our town centre was dead before the virus hit so there won't be much change there!  

I loved living in Cambridge.  It's a beautiful city and that drone footage shows it off so well.

Archived