coronavirus

Just now, ckn said:

I post on here at my tea breaks. I schedule in 5-10 minute breaks an hour. That allows me to do 14 hour days without breaking.

Also, I like sharing knowledge!

*snide comment about taxpayer funded cups of tea*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

*snide comment about taxpayer funded cups of tea*

I bet when you clapped last night you shouted "apart from ckn, that bloke gets it easy, he gets a cuppa every hour"

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

I bet when you clapped last night you shouted "apart from ckn, that bloke gets it easy, he gets a cuppa every hour"

Everyone in the NHS has it easy. With their pensions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

There’s gonna be a lot of corner cutting in the current environment though.  It’s a calculated risk by businesses in the current climate ie reducing headcount outweighs risk of claims being brought (and funded) by ex-employees.

(Sorry Beford Roughyed I don’t mean to talk about your - possible - situation dispassionately, although to be honest I doubt many out there feel job safe)

No it’s fine.  I’m certainly not going to be the only one!  Start up companies are not prepared for funding to stop dead.  Even well established firms will crack.

Also I’m sure some companies will use this as the chance to do the ‘reorganisation’ that they would never of dared.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have mentioned to Mrs Shadow that one of her most attractive features is her NHS pension.

On an unrelated point our sofa's surprisingly comfortable.

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

No it’s fine.  I’m certainly not going to be the only one!  Start up companies are not prepared for funding to stop dead.  Even well established firms will crack.

Also I’m sure some companies will use this as the chance to do the ‘reorganisation’ that they would never of dared.

To be honest, the business I work for has done that.  Furloughed about 25% of workers globally, got rid of about 5% that probably had it coming anyway.  Have been closely involved in the exercise and it’s pretty unpleasant.  Have got rid of people before but never en masse (although we should be able to bring all the furloughed ones back).

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have to acknowledge that my pension allows me to work 3 days a week and have a good quality of life in semi-retirement.

Private sector wages tend to be far greater than public sector salaries..... allowing an option to pay more into a pension fund to get the same end result. It all evens itself out.....

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I wonder what lessons we'll take from all this?

Having seen the brutal efficiency of US employment law last week (they ‘let go’ some of the US team), I have learnt that we do not want to copy them.  It’s swift and instant.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I’ve (half) joked about the last furlough letter I have to write being to myself...

A family friend was in charge of a big reorganisation which unfortunately meant giving out many redundancies. The last ones were indeed her and her team.

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Having seen the brutal efficiency of US employment law last week (they ‘let go’ some of the US team), I have learnt that we do not want to copy them.  It’s swift and instant.

Now to some extent we were and we are mimicking this and it is a goal of this kind of politics.

Covid looks to have changed the story, but the real test is whether or not we return to the old normality.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Boris tests positive. He was lecturing us on social distancing while failing to do it himself flanked by the chief medical officer and chief sentific officer.

Get well soon Boris, and although I can't help thinking that isolating Boris is a positive thing I'm unhappy that he gets a test that is unavailable to me and all my colleagues when I have to engage in direct personal contact as a nurse. 

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Boris tests positive. He was lecturing us on social distancing while failing to do it himself flanked by the chief medical officer and chief sentific officer.

Get well soon Boris, and although I can't help thinking that isolating Boris is a positive thing I'm unhappy that he gets a test that is unavailable to me and all my colleagues when I have to engage in direct personal contact as a nurse. 

He is the Prime Minister, I don't think there's a problem in testing him. Prince Charles however.....

Robin,

Although I am fully in agreement with you that all N.H.S. should get tested as soon as is possible and maybe should have even been done,but I am sure you will agree that the Queen,Duke of Edinburgh,Prince Charles etc plus the Prime Minister whoever that may be are pretty important people to the country.This in no way denigrates the superb work that the nurses,doctors,carers etc. do and should definitely be at the front of the queue of the rest of the country for testing.

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

This s**t is getting real.

Battlezone triage.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

48 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Saintslass and a couple of others apart I wonder what lessons we'll take from all this?

Wait until the smoke's cleared in a month or so and see what lessons you ALL take from this.

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

A family friend was in charge of a big reorganisation which unfortunately meant giving out many redundancies. The last ones were indeed her and her team.

Well indeed.  Useful to the end.  

(Damien this isn't making me feel any better!)

2 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Wait until the smoke's cleared in a month or so and see what lessons you ALL take from this.

Interesting words to stress.

But a couple of things we know already:

When people who are experts in stuff say one thing and bar room bores say another, we should probably upweight the views of the experts when deciding what to do 

Pandemics are super time-critical

We can find money for life and death stuff  - we just need to want to do it. We can house the homeless, we can relieve the financial pain of those out of work, we can help small businesses get access to supported credit, we can nationalise the railways and surge fund the NHS.  All these things it turns out we can do if we believe they are worth doing.

In this crisis the unethical actions of some companies and the evident power of the government to do good should be grouped together in a re-appraisal of how our country works and who it works for.

Our NHS is underfunded.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I post on here at my tea breaks. I schedule in 5-10 minute breaks an hour. That allows me to do 14 hour days without breaking.

5 10mins breaks an hour? Wish I had a job like that? 

(In all seriousness though those small breaks and doing something completely different are absolutely vital to keep you going when the pressure's on - great respect from me to all doing their bit to combat this)

10 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Well, you think it will clear in a month?

If we wait till all this is over, which is what I think you mean, the spin will be a tidal wave from the governement.

Only an opinion of course, but one question is, can we afford to carry on as before?

1 hour ago, ckn said:

You shouldn't even have responded to that nor felt you had to. That was well over the line and deserves a bit of abuse but little else.

Archived