coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

You need my help.... mates rates n'all that!!! You may actually be past the point where any intervention will have a positive outcome.?

At least I've got some ' income ' to pick up in 2 months time , just need to stretch out the current bank balance till then 

I'm looking at 4 months till my career starts again , then just another 8 or so years ?

Between today and yesterday, 181 people died of Covid-19.

That's another death every eight minutes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

'kin 'el.

I've heard of a few Brits it's happened to who now can't get out of the countries they are in.

Mate was on a "i have hit 50 it is now or never" trip across far east to eventually end up at a sick and elderly relative in Melbourne. He has been kept up to date by his travel agent throughout as it all kicked off just after he had left the UK. As it was he made it as far as Sydney, as he left countries they seemed to be shutting up shop (Japan declared a state of emergency as he arrived, Aus said all new arrivals had to quarantine 32 hrs after he arrived), he never made it to Melbourne (couldnt have met the relative if he had) then he got the call from his travel agent saying "go now, immediately", couldnt go via Singapore as shut, managed to get home via Abu Dhabi just before that shut. He is now self isolating in a camper van in his front drive as wife is vulnerable

11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Mate was on a "i have hit 50 it is now or never" trip across far east to eventually end up at a sick and elderly relative in Melbourne. He has been kept up to date by his travel agent throughout as it all kicked off just after he had left the UK. As it was he made it as far as Sydney, as he left countries they seemed to be shutting up shop (Japan declared a state of emergency as he arrived, Aus said all new arrivals had to quarantine 32 hrs after he arrived), he never made it to Melbourne (couldnt have met the relative if he had) then he got the call from his travel agent saying "go now, immediately", couldnt go via Singapore as shut, managed to get home via Abu Dhabi just before that shut. He is now self isolating in a camper van in his front drive as wife is vulnerable

I am now reading that to the Benny Hill tune.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And to change the tone back ... media reporting a temporary mortuary - for up to 12,000 - being built at Birmingham Airport

Looks like Chris Whitty has probably got it too.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Italy, 919 new deaths. It doesn't get better there and they're saying they've not reached peak yet.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

This will not be over in a month for Great Britain...you had a bad start...stumbled in the blocks...but you are moving quick now that you have hit full speed....Hey is that a speed bump just ahead?

This race ain't near won yet.

Apparently Sweden isn't following the same pattern as other countries at present.  I don't know what they are doing that is different but just because we didn't shut down everything two weeks ago (or however long ago we were supposed to have done so) doesn't mean we were wrong at that time.  Surely we will be able to judge far better whether our responses were 'good enough' once the pandemic has passed?

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Italy, 919 new deaths. It doesn't get better there and they're saying they've not reached peak yet.

I think the growth in numbers has come from the south hasn't it?  I may have misheard the report but I'm sure that was the case.  There is concern that while the numbers are dropping in the north, they are now rising in the south.

14 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Looks like Chris Whitty has probably got it too.  

The PM , the health secretary and the chief medical officer . You couldn’t make it up . That’s one stark message , better than any poster 

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Apparently Sweden isn't following the same pattern as other countries at present.  I don't know what they are doing that is different but just because we didn't shut down everything two weeks ago (or however long ago we were supposed to have done so) doesn't mean we were wrong at that time.  Surely we will be able to judge far better whether our responses were 'good enough' once the pandemic has passed?

The Swedes are a very domesticated people.

I was speaking to my colleague in Stockholm yesterday. When he went for his morning walk, he say five other people. That is notable, as he lives by the busiest bus terminal and ext to two of the busiest Metro stations.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

I have mentioned to Mrs Shadow that one of her most attractive features is her NHS pension.

On an unrelated point our sofa's surprisingly comfortable.

For some reason that reminds me of the chap I heard say many years ago, " There's no way I'll be unfaithful to my wife, or leave her. I love my house." ?

23 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The Swedes are a very domesticated people.

They are also very beautiful and so staying indoors with them would not be problematic.

Plus it's only just coming to the end of their winter (right?, I'm not making this entirely up) so staying in a bit longer sensibly isn't going to be a massive cultural issue?

I suspect they will need to lockdown like everyone else in due course though.

35 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just a cold.

We'll look back on this in a month and learn things. Like how we overreacted because lots of people die anyway.

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Any indication when they may hit the peak? Shocking stuff in Italy with Spain not far behind...

No idea, the really sweary words are for the people who STILL refuse to comply with the lockdown. I think they'll get to the point soon of summary jail time for those out without explicit permission.

The other big problem seems to be family members isolating together, one gets it, they all get it eventually, often with families dispersing once one is infected in a vain hope to stop themselves but really just taking early virus infection with them

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Have I mentioned I was born in Sweden?

Christ, think how bad you'd look if you hadn't been.

Archived