coronavirus

8 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Robin, 

Did not want to appear racist,which I am definitely not. 

6 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

John M,

Not really a language problem,maybe it is just the fact that they do not think the law applies to some of them

Yes, definitely don't want to come across as racist :kolobok_biggrin:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Wow.

Vast swathes of social media (and some moron members of the internet) seem to believe that rates of disobedience of the rules are higher amongst the non-indigenous population. (Their descriptor, usually, not mine.)

Needless to say, this is not actually true. Being a prat crosses all racial, class and age boundaries.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Dave T,

My two best mates are both Jamaican,my sons best man at his wedding was Pakistani. I have played Cricket with lots of West Indian and Asian guys. I now live in Spain where I have friends from Ecuador,Bolivia, Africa, A couple who we spend lots of time with, the husband is Russian, his wife South Korean, the local bar which we frequent is run by a Romanian couple.Now I would think anybody who has a selection of friends and acqaintances like that would definitely not be racist. Also my neighbours on either side of me are lovely Spanish families.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Vast swathes of social media (and some moron members of the internet) seem to believe that rates of disobedience of the rules are higher amongst the non-indigenous population. (Their descriptor, usually, not mine.)

Needless to say, this is not actually true. Being a prat crosses all racial, class and age boundaries.

Trust me.... the born n bread numpties behaving like 2@s during this pandemic here in rawmarsh is astonishing. Absolutely astonishing. Sheffield is only 8 miles away and infection numbers have gone through the roof by all accounts.

White, English and thick as pig sheeite. 

Being daft does not require any condition of race, creed or colour.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Agreed, although I missed this mornings interview. Was there anything new or just reaffirming what we should be doing? 

A lot reaffirming but also explaining how testing works and how antibody testing works using chicken pox as an example.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

24 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I've not once claimed to be the voice of authority Bob. 

I posted some figures which you said were unreliable & irresponsible. 

I provided a link to the World Health Organisation Situation Reports which those figures are based on.

Your still upset that those figures clashed with your expert opinion. I'm sorry for that, get over it Bob. 

We will have to disagree on why you wrote. My rereading is different. Perhaps you have a far better insight into scientific data handling. We agree to disagree. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cough and fever seem to be the main symptoms. There are some things on social media comparing symptoms with standard flu and colds. 

There was a doctor on TV this morning saying it’s becoming clear that there are other less obvious symptoms. He said there’s been a growing trend of people who have had diarrhoea who are testing positive. Conjunctivitis is another one they’re seeing more cases of in COVID patients.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just looking out of my window at one of the container ships heading somewhere else, made me wonder if the ships crew became ill, and died, and as there is only usually less than 20 on board for a 4-6 month trip, what would happen to the ship?

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

I think it's interesting that Boots have been working with the government to deliver the tests for the frontline workers, and indeed have just completed a trial of the drive in testing for frontline staff in Nottingham.  So clearly despite what the media and others have been saying about how the government isn't testing, they have been busy planning in the background with relevant businesses and Boots are due to roll out the drive in testing throughout the country.

It's amazing just how many businesses are getting involved.  Who would have thought the Royal Mint could produce visors for NHS staff?  I wouldn't have put money and visors together at any time no matter how much time you gave me to innovate that one!

Even on a local level there has been effort and innovation.  Here in St Helens we've had this little achievement take place:

I have to say I'm a little bit surprised at what is still used as PPE in the health service , it seems we are still looking at it from a century ago , with paper masks ( which if we are honest are fairly useless as they will always draw air in from round the edges rather than filter through the paper ) and simple masks 

I have a Tribord Easybreath full face snorkel mask , it is air and watertight , it offers good visibility and is comfortable to the point I've spent up to 40 minutes in the water without taking it off , surely something similar to it , combined with either a reusable or disposable filter could be designed that would provide much better protection 

The question of sterilising could easily be solved by either steam ovens or UV light 

Give as we have seen with the ventilators , a specification for a full face , fan air fed mask using rechargeable batteries to a Dyson or G Tech , and something could be produced at reasonable cost 

It seems to me that we can spend trillions developing electric cars that will not save the planet no matter what anybody tells me , and similar developing wonderful health machinery , but something as simple as providing a safe environment for health staff is virtually the same as Ms Nightingale had ? ?

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

The Scottish CMO confirmed (yesterday) it is fine to drive to a place for exercise, with the First Minister stating this should be somewhere close to home. 

The fact that a couple of police forces have knocked up a leaflet may help them to manage people, but it is not official. 

So business as usual in Scotland. All you need to do is wear a tacksuit and trainers, like a shield to avoid any restrictions you don't feel like complying with. 

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, definitely don't want to come across as racist :kolobok_biggrin:

I've raised this before when initislly lots of people were arriving at Heathrow etc. Tourists and so on. I adek on here if anyone knew what was being done to communicate advice and rules to people who neither read nor spoke English. 

Are there no such people or does everyone speak and read English? 

Why is that appearing to be racist? 

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

I've raised this before when initislly lots of people were arriving at Heathrow etc. Tourists and so on. I adek on here if anyone knew what was being done to communicate advice and rules to people who neither read nor spoke English. 

Are there no such people or does everyone speak and read English? 

Why is that appearing to be racist? 

Mate, I arrived in Gatwick and there was hardly anything even in English.

There have been other language versions of some of the material - I think that was started by the Mayor of London’s office.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Paper masks work, because they blow out from the sides, thus preventing infection from/to the front, which is where you are likely to get it from, straight forward glasses also help, as long as the cover your eyes completely

Indeed.

They are primarily to protect the environment from the wearer rather thanvice-versa.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just looking out of my window at one of the container ships heading somewhere else, made me wonder if the ships crew became ill, and died, and as there is only usually less than 20 on board for a 4-6 month trip, what would happen to the ship?

It would become a ghost ship (no really).  There are a few floating round, and unless they become a danger to navigation or they are worth something decent, they are left to float about.

Now in the case of a container ship, the salvage is worth doing.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

So business as usual in Scotland. All you need to do is wear a tacksuit and trainers, like a shield to avoid any restrictions you don't feel like complying with. 

The same advice on driving has been given by some government ministers and the cabinet office.  Others have interpreted the rules differently and say you can’t drive.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The same advice on driving has been given by some government ministers and the cabinet office.  Others have interpreted the rules differently and say you can’t drive.

Politicians are wishy washy, police can see that it's easily demonstrated that driving prior to and after exercise is not minimising the amount of time you are out of the home and worse, that this exception to staying at home can be exploited. 

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cough and fever seem to be the main symptoms. There are some things on social media comparing symptoms with standard flu and colds. 

According to a GP on TV this morning, there are hardly any cases of flu in the UK at the moment so he said that medical professionals are treating everything non-sniffly as Covid 19.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

I thought it was compulsory for females in St Helens to wear a mask so as not to frighten the children or horses?

Are you from Wigan per chance? ? 

Following on from my previous post about the Eccleston face guard crew, it seems my local NHS Trust is well supplied with PPE.  This is a relief as in St Helens our hospitalised (ie known) cases are doubling every 24 hours now: from 8 two days ago, to 32 today.

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Politicians are wishy washy, police can see that it's easily demonstrated that driving prior to and after exercise is not minimising the amount of time you are out of the home and worse, that this exception to staying at home can be exploited. 

The government has followed up on the matter by saying we should only take exercise locally.  All areas are closing down to stop people from elsewhere travelling there.  Even locally, things are being restricted.  For example, people often walk around St Helens Cemetery as it is a beautiful, peaceful place with lots of trees and benches to sit on for a chat.  However, the Council has now repeatedly asked people not to walk/walk their dogs around the cemetery and I wouldn't be surprised if it is soon closed to the public.

16 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It would become a ghost ship (no really).

The MS Zaandam could very soon become a very grim version of one of these.

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The virus does not care how long you are out of the home.

Stop this.

The key thing is it can be exploited, the police will need something possible to police, rather than a highly complicated model for minimising transmission.

Found this:  https://www.nhs.uk/accessibility/health-information-in-other-languages/

Mind you, you have to actively want to look

Just back from the big city, population 3,500 - essential shopping. Queue outside coop, 2 metre separation, entry controlled by staf member. Maybe 30 in queue. 

Carried on to Spar. No queue. Floor marked with 3 metre squares, and direction arrow. Notices instructing do not go into next square if someone already there. Most followed the rules, just one or two idiots didn't. Maybe 20 people in shop. No bread flour, no yeast, no margarine. Everything else OK. 

Archived