coronavirus

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The average price of crude oil last year was $57.

Today, with demand vanishing, the price is under $20 a barrel.

Yeah, that's what will end up costing me my job. Not for a few months, though, as we have plenty of work for now.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I would be permanently banned from this site if I actually post my feelings Craig. The feeling of being valued as worthless.... promotes a level of profanity that is way above accepted levels even for me.

B'stards!!!!!!

To help us understand your feelings, what is your actual job? 

What PPE do you want? 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52091905

Is he going to be there too to lead the communal hug?

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How many times have we heard that we will get to 25k tests per day? This has been claimed for weeks now, and apparently we should get to that in three weeks. 

It's okay. Ocado is selling 100,000 kits.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

How valid are international comparisons in any of this? . Reported on BBC News just now: The daily Covid 19 death figure in France only covers those who die in hospital. COVID 19 deaths in care homes are not. In just one care home over 20 have died. In another, 80 residents are infected. Sort of distorts the picture we are presented with. 

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's okay. Ocado is selling 100,000 kits.

This is for you from Ocado. We are very sorry to have to disappoint anyone that chooses Ocado. We’re working round the clock to deliver to as many customers as we can and make our booking process as fair as possible.

Where will you get your sandals, brown socks and quinoa from now? ???

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

How valid are international comparisons in any of this? . Reported on BBC News just now: The daily Covid 19 death figure in France only covers those who die in hospital. COVID 19 deaths in care homes are not. In just one care home over 20 have died. In another, 80 residents are infected. Sort of distorts the picture we are presented with. 

I believe our numbers only count those admitted to hospital. It was a line that was just sneaked in last week when they changed methodology without explaining it. 

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This is for you from Ocado. We are very sorry to have to disappoint anyone that chooses Ocado. We’re working round the clock to deliver to as many customers as we can and make our booking process as fair as possible.

Where will you get your sandals, brown socks and quinoa from now? ???

We all grow our own these days

39 minutes ago, JohnM said:

To help us understand your feelings, what is your actual job? 

What PPE do you want? 

I'm a community nurse. I give depot injections in close clinical contact with a client group who are unlikely to respond to or understand basics risks or procedures put in place regard c-19.

I would expect to have access to a mask as an absolute minimum. 

I have an apron and gloves. No mask, head covering or over shoes.

The patient must be symptomatic to get a mask or full kit if they are confirmed.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm a community nurse. I give depot injections in close clinical contact with a client group who are unlikely to respond to or understand basics risks or procedures put in place regard c-19.

The patient must be symptomatic to get a mask or full kit if they are confirmed.

Which completely ignores the lessons of Italy and Spain in infection transmission of COVID-19

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I believe our numbers only count those admitted to hospital. It was a line that was just sneaked in last week when they changed methodology without explaining it. 

That's my understanding to. You have to die in hospital to be included in the figures. I'm not sure you'd be seeing masses more but we appear to be the same as France in how we're counting the official numbers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have just received a phone call from friends of ours who came to Spain to their holiday home. They were supposed to go back a week or so ago,but when the lockdown came they were advised to go back to the U.K. immediately.They decided they were going to finish their holiday.They should have gone back last week but of course they can not go now.Now they are complaining that the Government are not doing enough to get them back.

I would imagine the self same thing is happening to the many thousands of U.K. residents and indeed Spanish residents who decided they would take a holiday when they knew full well that the virus had started to take hold in Europe. One couple ,British, who live near me went to Australia for a holiday. Now ,they are stuck fast there with not much chance of getting back for possibly a few months. Why do these people think it is the Governments, U.K. and Spain,place to get them back.As far as I am concerned they got themselves into this situation,get themselves out of it.

10 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Mrs Shadow works as a Tissue Viabilty Nurse in the Community, she has at least got a box each of gloves and masks to go with her roll of aprons. PPE doesn't seem to be the big problem in Solent it is elsewhere.

It doesn't matter to the data modelers what the actual numbers are, as long as the data gathering rules are consistant they can monitor the important thing to them which is the trend. The trend is more important than the headline figure.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

from The Independent,

Change in counting of UK deaths

Official figures for deaths from coronavirus could be pushed further upwards on Tuesday by a change in the way numbers are gathered. From tomorrow, the figure released by the Office for National Statistics will include cases where patients die in their own homes, as well as those who are being treated in hospital at the time of their deaths.

Boris Johnson’s official spokesman said: “Daily figures are for those deaths which take place in hospitals in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. From tomorrow, the ONS will be publishing weekly data for death registrations which would include people who die in the community.
“It would be necessary for a medical professional to be satisfied that one of the contributory factors for a death was coronavirus in order for it to be registered that way.”

So not the same as France, 

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

from The Independent,

Change in counting of UK deaths

Official figures for deaths from coronavirus could be pushed further upwards on Tuesday by a change in the way numbers are gathered. From tomorrow, the figure released by the Office for National Statistics will include cases where patients die in their own homes, as well as those who are being treated in hospital at the time of their deaths.

Boris Johnson’s official spokesman said: “Daily figures are for those deaths which take place in hospitals in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. From tomorrow, the ONS will be publishing weekly data for death registrations which would include people who die in the community.
“It would be necessary for a medical professional to be satisfied that one of the contributory factors for a death was coronavirus in order for it to be registered that way.”

So not the same as France, 

"1,228 of those hospitalised in the UK have sadly died"

That's the Department of Health wording from yesterday.

Just watched the ITV News. The News Reader was saying that many hospitals were short of PPE and lots not being tested. She spoke about a hospital in South London where apparently they had spoken to a Doctor there last week who complained of a shortage of everything there. Thinking this was an opportunity to get another dig in at the Government,she said we are now going back to this doctor at the hospital,she asked how it was there now.His reply, we have got plenty on PPE now,tests are being carried out. He also said he did understand that there was a few hospitals around the country that had not received equipment yet. Why is it that the News readers always focus on the negatives.

16 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The concern, other than to your well being, is that you are also going from patient to patient. It is why people like yourself, other health care workers and truckers would be first in line for any vaccine.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Just watched the ITV News. The News Reader was saying that many hospitals were short of PPE and lots not being tested. She spoke about a hospital in South London where apparently they had spoken to a Doctor there last week who complained of a shortage of everything there. Thinking this was an opportunity to get another dig in at the Government,she said we are now going back to this doctor at the hospital,she asked how it was there now.His reply, we have got plenty on PPE now,tests are being carried out. He also said he did understand that there was a few hospitals around the country that had not received equipment yet. Why is it that the News readers always focus on the negatives.

The negatives in this case being that people are working in the frontline against a highly contagious virus without protection. It could only be one hospital in the whole country, that would still need addressing.

Why do people never report on the number of patients Shipman didn't kill?

Hard to believe, I know, but there are some people who love to point out that every other county is doing things better than we are. International comparisons are important to them.

Just had a regular call from the GPs INR clinic. For the last 18 months I've self-tested and phoned the result. The clinician is, though, still doing face to face appointments for most people. She says they have been told by PHE only to wear a mask if a patient has symptoms or suspicion of Covid 19.

Gingerjohn, 

I fully agree with you, no hospital should be without the necessary equipment to deal with the virus.My point is that instead of stating the news that is likely to demoralise people even more,surely in the situation that is getting worse by the day,would it not give people more hope if they stated the vast majority of hospitals have got the equipment,but there a few that are still waiting for the equipment.At least that could give the worried population a lot more hope.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that all the news stations have a problem with the Government and will do their utmost to bring them down.Imay add I think that would happen whichever party was in power.

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"1,228 of those hospitalised in the UK have sadly died"

That's the Department of Health wording from yesterday.

Yesterday was Sunday here. 

Today is Monday here.

From tomorrow, the figure released by the Office for National Statistics will include cases where patients die in their own homes, as well as those who are being treated in hospital at the time of their deaths.

Archived