coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yesterday was Sunday here. 

Today is Monday here.

From tomorrow, the figure released by the Office for National Statistics will include cases where patients die in their own homes, as well as those who are being treated in hospital at the time of their deaths.

Apologies, without the link I assumed the Independent report dated to when the government changed the counting schedule which gave us that one day with far fewer than expected, followed by one with more.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Dave T,

correct me if I am wrong but is it not the Scottish Government that runs the N.H.S. in Scotland. If so imagine the chaos if they had got their Independence.

Why? 

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The negatives in this case being that people are working in the frontline against a highly contagious virus without protection. It could only be one hospital in the whole country, that would still need addressing.

Why do people never report on the number of patients Shipman didn't kill?

Indeed. Its highly infectious too, hence the need for separation etc.  And yes, even if it were just one hospital in the country, it would need addressing. Why then, do so many seem to imply a general shortage of everything, all the time, everywhere...except of course in other countries.

. Hmmm..let me guess.

4 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Gingerjohn, 

I fully agree with you, no hospital should be without the necessary equipment to deal with the virus.My point is that instead of stating the news that is likely to demoralise people even more,surely in the situation that is getting worse by the day,would it not give people more hope if they stated the vast majority of hospitals have got the equipment,but there a few that are still waiting for the equipment.At least that could give the worried population a lot more hope.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that all the news stations have a problem with the Government and will do their utmost to bring them down.Imay add I think that would happen whichever party was in power.

Dog bites man is not news. Man bites dog, is.

And the news is mostly positive stories of kids doing nice things for their neighbours. It's the job of good journalists to challenge though. Not to be idiots - The Sun can take that prize today for running a nice column about how lockdown will kill more than the virus which is far more damaging than the BBC asking if the government can guarantee our medics have enough PPE.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Apologies, without the link I assumed the Independent report dated to when the government changed the counting schedule which gave us that one day with far fewer than expected, followed by one with more.

You know what thought did, I assume.

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Announced in Scotland today that some major screening programs are being put on hold for three months to free up NHS resource. 

A close neighbour works on the publication of cancer trials - they are just tidying up loose ends as most of the trials they are working with are "on hold" both to free up the research staff and because of the ethical issues around things like giving people immuno suppressant drugs in the current landscape

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Announced in Scotland today that some major screening programs are being put on hold for three months to free up NHS resource. 

There'll probably be a bump up in cancer deaths over the next few years as a result of this sort of thing, or people delaying going to get checked up.

Not blaming anyone, just collateral damage from the virus.

Edit: it'll be a reatively small number, compare dto not acting on the virus.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The one "essential" premises open which confuses me is launderettes - i would rather wash my clothes in the sink and have them dry over my bath/shower than enter the humid fetid armipt of humanity that is a launderette at the best of times - as a student i only went when enough of us could get together to basically take the place over and then we took a couple of bottles of Thunderbird and music

49 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's my understanding to. You have to die in hospital to be included in the figures. I'm not sure you'd be seeing masses more but we appear to be the same as France in how we're counting the official numbers.

The Coroners' guidelines in the UK are quite clear on this, cause of death as COVID-19 wherever it happens will be caught here. They all feed into the same system and public stats. It'd actually take more work to separate hospital and non-hospital deaths than just keep reporting flagged cases. There is a significant guarding procedure though to ensure you can't be classified as this without a doctor certifying it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Gingerjohn, 

News headlines in todays Spanish Newspapers.

Even though there was 812 deaths in Spain,just less than the day before.

Spains Foreign Minister sees hope now the deaths have fallen. He may be being a bit presumptious but he is giving the people hope instead of despair.

8 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

The one "essential" premises open which confuses me is launderettes - i would rather wash my clothes in the sink and have them dry over my bath/shower than enter the humid fetid armipt of humanity that is a launderette at the best of times - as a student i only went when enough of us could get together to basically take the place over and then we took a couple of bottles of Thunderbird and music

The other side of this is that as a student, you were a healthy male responsible for one healthy man's clothes. Not everyone is going to be in that situation.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The other side of this is that as a student, you were a healthy male responsible for one healthy man's clothes. Not everyone is going to be in that situation.

And if they are not should they be congregating in a hot humid place full of dirty clothes ?

15 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

And if they are not should they be congregating in a hot humid place full of dirty clothes ?

Quite. It is not straight forward, as with many of these things. The other side is that if a few of these places go bankrupt, it has a major impact on the area.

Again, I do not know the answer, just that these things are a horrible complex balance.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The Coroners' guidelines in the UK are quite clear on this, cause of death as COVID-19 wherever it happens will be caught here. They all feed into the same system and public stats. It'd actually take more work to separate hospital and non-hospital deaths than just keep reporting flagged cases. There is a significant guarding procedure though to ensure you can't be classified as this without a doctor certifying it.

But, at present, the figures released by the Department of Health do only cover hospital cases?

Which, if I'm reading JohnM's link right, won't change for the daily figures but there will also be a weekly aggregate?

Just now, gingerjon said:

But, at present, the figures released by the Department of Health do only cover hospital cases?

Which, if I'm reading JohnM's link right, won't change for the daily figures but there will also be a weekly aggregate?

In that case, I'm confused as a coroner's figure is a coroner's figure whether in hospital or found in an alleyway.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

In that case, I'm confused as a coroner's figure is a coroner's figure whether in hospital or found in an alleyway.

Interestingly, which may be the wrong word, the Telegraph (which pays BoJo £250,000 a year and is quite keen on the Tories), appears to have just put out a story saying that NHS Trust figures and the government's figures do not tally. I'm not registered there so can't read past the fade but not good if true.

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Interestingly, which may be the wrong word, the Telegraph (which pays BoJo £250,000 a year and is quite keen on the Tories), appears to have just put out a story saying that NHS Trust figures and the government's figures do not tally. I'm not registered there so can't read past the fade but not good if true.

By how much do they tally? As a lover of links and an eternal seeker of truth, how much has the Prime Minister earned from the Daily Telegraph in 2020? Since he became Prime Minister?

Archived