coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Their rates of infection and deaths still look to be growing exponentially, 8% (infection) 24% (deaths) growth factors, so I'm not sure I'd be claiming to have things under control.

data taken from European centre for Disease Control

My discussion was specifically about the speech of the Danish PM, which was surprisingly optimistic. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I think they decide on questions pre presentation and cant be bothered to modify it based upon what is said

Lazy basically

Then , " no it's fine thanks , you've covered it already " 

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

My discussion was specifically about the speech of the Danish PM, which was surprisingly optimistic. 

Not suggesting you were saying things were under control there - apologies if you took it that way. Not seen his speech but does seem to be a remarkable thing for him to be coming out with at this early stage and given the numbers.

i would like to claim a prize - out of milk (no cups of tea aghhhh) so popped up the shops,  empty, so empty not only did i whizz around waitrose and get milk (and walked down an aisle of loo rolls) but based on the emptyness i decided it might be worth braving lidl for veg and scored multiple packs of Aberdeen Angus beef meatballs knocked down to 20p on clearance and some chicken Kiev's for 50p. 

No pasta but got some wraps and have plenty of rice so plenty of meal options now available

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

i would like to claim a prize - out of milk (no cups of tea aghhhh) so popped up the shops,  empty, so empty not only did i whizz around waitrose and get milk (and walked down an aisle of loo rolls) but based on the emptyness i decided it might be worth braving lidl for veg and scored multiple packs of Aberdeen Angus beef meatballs knocked down to 20p on clearance and some chicken Kiev's for 50p. 

No pasta but got some wraps and have plenty of rice so plenty of meal options now available

Mmmmmmmm, meatballs ?

we either need to get tough now or regret it later, close down for 2 weeks apart from for the essentials straight away, the roads were a lot busier today than the end of last week, people have obviously got complacent and restless over the weekend, be cruel to be kind with full lockdown and get this ended sooner rather than later - no more dilly dally.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not suggesting you were saying things were under control there - apologies if you took it that way. Not seen his speech but does seem to be a remarkable thing for him to be coming out with at this early stage and given the numbers.

Indeed, and I do not know the figures that she was looking at nor the advice she was taking.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Les Tonks,

My thoughts exactly. Every question asked today and basically everyday has been covered in the presentation. As you say either they are all deaf,or have sat their and thought "Oh,I was going to ask that,what do I do now". It is now time question time was axed,complete waste of time.

I am just waiting for one of the presenters to ask "Have you been listening"or have you nothing else to do.

I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks that.

It’s almost like I’ve got to ask a question; any question.

If I was one of the presenters the sarcasm would be used

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks that.

It’s almost like I’ve got to ask a question; any question.

If I was one of the presenters the sarcasm would be used

The last straw was the Mirror giving itself a plug and asking Raab if he’d back their campaign . They like a campaign . That bit of the press conference is becoming pointless . If it’s not asking something that’s already been said , it’s twisting what’s been said , asking something they can’t answer or just something for the sake of it 

I think it's called   "Gocha!" reporting. Keep asking the same stupid question again and again and again in the hope they can catch someone out or trip them up, or exasperate the presenter into  telling them where to stick their stupid  questions. Not one, ever, does  anything but snipe. 

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

It is a reasonable assumption, I would think, that you cannot catch it twice. Unlike a bacteria or parasite, the immune system will have recognised the viral pathogen (i.e. have immunity) to no longer have the virus. Certainly, that is not to say it is known for certain, but it is improbable that it is otherwise.

Of course, this will not be 100%, but it should be a general rule.

In the case of flu, the virus has specific proteins/antigens that mutate, effectively as mask. But, we see that young people are more vulnerable to flu and tend to gain resistance, until the immune system starts to weaken in later life.

Experts used to think the same thing about E Coil 0157 H7.  This was later proven to be factually incorrect as noted in a number of medical journals.

Inside Out Yorkshire and Lincolnshire BBC 1 TV on at present. 

Young lad being interviewed. He'd been tested for Covid 19 and it was clear. He said he was tested because his mum, who was an NHS employee, Nurse I think, had been tested because of her work. 

Just thought I'd mention that. Clearly some people are being tested. Not enough, sure. But not as bleak as the print, on line and broadcast media would have you believe. 

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Young lad being interviewed. He'd been tested for Covid 19 and it was clear. He said he was tested because his mum, who was an NHS employee, Nurse I think, had been tested because of her work. 

Just thought I'd mention that. Clearly some people are being tested. Not enough, sure. But not as bleak as the print, on line and broadcast media would have you believe. 

My wife is a nurse. As is my daughter and myself. The memsahib has been a nurse since Florrie was a lass.

To date, neither of us knows any health professional who we know has been tested.

A few may have been. But I suspect it really is a few

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Experts used to think the same thing about E Coil 0157 H7.  This was later proven to be factually incorrect as noted in a number of medical journals.

Firstly, viruses and bacteria are very different. We are more closely related to E.  coli than this coronavirus is. So, it is not really relevant.

Secondly, clearly anything is possible.  As I did make perfectly clear.  It is a novel virus, but we can consider likelihood. 

27 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My wife is a nurse. As is my daughter and myself. The memsahib has been a nurse since Florrie was a lass.

To date, neither of us knows any health professional who we know has been tested.

A few may have been. But I suspect it really is a few

6 members of either my family or the in laws are health professionals, none have been tested.

48 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The first 900 NHS staff were tested this last weekend.  The scheme (drive through testing) is being rolled out with the support of Boots across the country.  It started in Nottingham and then they added two more venues, one of which was Chessington fun park!

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

we either need to get tough now or regret it later, close down for 2 weeks apart from for the essentials straight away, the roads were a lot busier today than the end of last week, people have obviously got complacent and restless over the weekend, be cruel to be kind with full lockdown and get this ended sooner rather than later - no more dilly dally.

Some of us are still in work, which may explain the rise in activity on the roads?  People may have sorted out stuff like childcare and been able to return to work as a result.  Here in St Helens and indeed in Liverpool where I work, it was eerily quiet.  When I arrived at Lime Street station, just three of us walked my way and only I walked all the way to the street where my office is located.  Normally we're fighting for space on the pavements.  The few buses that passed me were empty and there were so few cars I was confident walking on the road to keep my 6ft distance from the rare person I encountered.

It is very spooky and I was glad again this morning that we were not in the middle of winter.  Travelling in all this emptiness in darkness would really make me nervous!

12 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

The first 900 NHS staff were tested this last weekend.  The scheme (drive through testing) is being rolled out with the support of Boots across the country.  It started in Nottingham and then they added two more venues, one of which was Chessington fun park!

That would make sense. If there are a little over a million employed by the NHS in total, with a large minorty in frontline service, t would take a while before the relatives and those on this forum would be reached.

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

It is very spooky and I was glad again this morning that we were not in the middle of winter.  Travelling in all this emptiness in darkness would really make me nervous!

It can get a bit eerie. And there are some who'll take advantage of it. The doctor who was attacked and forced to take cash out of an ATM the other day, was a victim of a particularly nasty piece of opportunism. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Did they manage to blame Harry and Meghan?

No, but the other day they suggested (in huge bold capital letters) that Johnson had contracted Covid-19 from one of those filthy foreign types.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived