coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I needn't worry to much about about food this week, just been to check if my benefits had been paid, and the owner of the convenience shop where the cashpoint is called me in, and offered me some nearly-out-of-date ready meals for my freezer, 5 for £5, 2 packets of salad for free, although the sell by date is Thursday.

A couple of weeks ago people, not on here, were sneering that we were on the same track as Italy.  Well, still on that same track...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I needn't worry to much about about food this week, just been to check if my benefits had been paid, and the owner of the convenience shop where the cashpoint is called me in, and offered me some nearly-out-of-date ready meals for my freezer, 5 for £5, 2 packets of salad for free, although the sell by date is Thursday.

Wouldn't worry about sell by date for salad - look, feel and smell for sell and best before dates (I use them for use by too but many wouldn't).

As I've mentioned before on here, I'm an aviation geek and I just wanted to mention another casualty of the pandemic. Its a very sad time for aviation nerds because KLM have retired their 747 fleet a year early. The KLM 747 was the most iconic, and most loved, aircraft in the sky without a doubt and it truly is the end of an era as it disappears into the history books. The 787 Dreamliner takes up the routes and is a fantastic plane but will never live up to its predecessor. The jumbo jet will be truly missed. Goodbye Queen of the Sky! ????

tmp-cam-1501103447.jpg

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Wouldn't worry about sell by date for salad - look, feel and smell for sell and best before dates (I use them for use by too but many wouldn't).

I will get two meals out of them, as some of the lettuce is looking a bit brown, but free food is free food. It's like when you go to the foodbank, do you return the food you don't like? or ask to swap it? I ask to swap it. If I don't like it, someone else will.

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

As I've mentioned before on here, I'm an aviation geek and I just wanted to mention another casualty of the pandemic. Its a very sad time for aviation nerds because KLM have retired their 747 fleet a year early. The KLM 747 was the most iconic, and most loved, aircraft in the sky without a doubt and it truly is the end of an era as it disappears into the history books. The 787 Dreamliner takes up the routes and is a fantastic plane but will never live up to its predecessor. The jumbo jet will be truly missed. Goodbye Queen of the Sky! ????

tmp-cam-1501103447.jpg

I haven't seen the Airbus 380 yet, but when I used to live near Heathrow, if I had a day off, and I happened to be passing, there was nothing better than watching one of those trundle down the runway, gathering speed, then the noise, then the wingtips start to lift, then the nose wheel slowly lifts, and it's off.

Noisy. Pollutant. But beautiful. I agree Gander, probably better than Concorde. When I went to Aus & NZ, every flight of 7 was on a 747.

You think you are a geek?

23 minutes ago, ckn said:

A couple of weeks ago people, not on here, were sneering that we were on the same track as Italy.  Well, still on that same track...

It's clearly common, but I dont get the distorted scale on the Y axis. Its not something we have ever used at our company, and I'm not an analyst, but doesn't this make France and Spain's numbers pretty similar, when Spain's are actually far worse? 

If this was on a standard y axis, China and Italy would be miles apart. 

Why is this seen as effective? 

58 minutes ago, ckn said:

TBH you can almost make these graphs look how bad or good that you want. Here's deaths per capita (a better measure surely than just deaths) versus days after 100th confirmed case for some European countries v China. UK and US look pretty good in comparison to other European. Considering Belgium locked down early they're not doing too well. Shame I can't adjust to same x axis.

graph3.png

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

TBH you can almost make these graphs look how bad or good that you want. Here's deaths per capita (a better measure surely than just deaths) versus days after 100th confirmed case for some European countries v China. UK and US look pretty good in comparison to other European

graph3.png

Spain, Italy and France have comparable populations to the UK, but France and Spain are spread over a larger landmass. The Figures we need to concentrate on are Italy. Similar Land Mass, Similar Population, but ours are more concentrated, most of Scotland is uninhabited, as is Wales. Most of our populations live in larger conurbations, such as West Yorkshire, Manchester, Cardiff, Glasgow/Edinburgh, Birmingham, and 7.5 million in London. Larger cities need to enforce lockdown more than rural communities, or smaller towns where the governments cutbacks haven't helped citizens before this. Where has all this subsidy suddenly come from, if it was there before, why wasn't it released into the public domain before, when shops needed help, when the NHS was struggling last year? Were the powers that be waiting for something like SARS to happen again, knowing that if it happened, we had a major hold back of finances to help out in 10, 15, 25, 40 years, but we'll let the NHS rot until then.

37 minutes ago, ckn said:

According to the chief scientist on the press conference today, we are tracking France (or France before they updated us after the press conference had taken place!).  Our numbers are going up apparently but steadily, rather than alarmingly.  At the moment, obvs.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It can get a bit eerie. And there are some who'll take advantage of it. The doctor who was attacked and forced to take cash out of an ATM the other day, was a victim of a particularly nasty piece of opportunism. 

Yes, that is my worry.  You'd think that fewer people around would feel safer but in fact I don't really feel safe.  I'm aware of anyone who is just hanging around and feel quite vulnerable in certain areas along my walk.

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

According to the chief scientist on the press conference today, we are tracking France (or France before they updated us after the press conference had taken place!).  Our numbers are going up apparently but steadily, rather than alarmingly.  At the moment, obvs.

graph4.png

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's clearly common, but I dont get the distorted scale on the Y axis. Its not something we have ever used at our company, and I'm not an analyst, but doesn't this make France and Spain's numbers pretty similar, when Spain's are actually far worse? 

If this was on a standard y axis, China and Italy would be miles apart. 

Why is this seen as effective? 

When the curves are growing exponentially - as this case - it's common to use a logarithmic scale (essentially, each point on the y-axis is a multiple of the previous point on the axis rather than a constant value added to the previous point). If a constant scale was used, you'd basically be looking at a bunch of vertical lines, thus hiding any trends.

7 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

When the curves are growing exponentially - as this case - it's common to use a logarithmic scale (essentially, each point on the y-axis is a multiple of the previous point on the axis rather than a constant value added to the previous point). If a constant scale was used, you'd basically be looking at a bunch of vertical lines, thus hiding any trends.

In pre PC days we used special graph paper like this for it

Free Online Graph Paper / Logarithmic

4 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Yeah, this is what I'm clearly not getting, as it would still show a curve if it was a regular scale on the Y axis, wouldn't it? 

I accept this wouldn't allow the full range of tracking, but a graph like Les' first one (without bringing population in) would still be a better visual aid for mine. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Yeah, this is what I'm clearly not getting, as it would still show a curve if it was a regular scale on the Y axis, wouldn't it? 

I accept this wouldn't allow the full range of tracking, but a graph like Les' first one (without bringing population in) would still be a better visual aid for mine. 

Dave if you look at CKN's graph you can see that Italy's and Spain's curves are flattening, or curving over - a sign that things are slowing down. Looking at the 1st graph I've put up that slow down is really difficult to see, which is why the log graphs are (or can be) more useful for following things that are growing exponentially. It's a real positive that they are - as soon as the curve started to flatten the increase on day on day deaths was beginning to fall and eventually actual numbers do, as they appear to be now. 

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Look after yourself 

25 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

In pre PC days we used special graph paper like this for it

Free Online Graph Paper / Logarithmic

I’m tired. I spent far too long thinking “what’s politically correct about that? What did I miss?”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

some more interesting maths to highlight when the exponential growth battle is being won. (Logarithmic scales again, sorry)

So invertabally, what is the exponential decrease of the demographically diverse spread of the demise of the European population?

Archived