coronavirus

5 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Suppose it was inevitable with people (mostly) staying at home and cooking rather than takeaways

But has anyone tried to get hold of some salad leaves, rocket and spinach seeds?

The vast majority of places I tried were either out of stock, closed to catch up with orders or has 2 week delivery times. Planned on having them to start on by the weekend. Now it will be Easter

No problem with getting salad leaves and rocket where I am.  In fact, I actually managed to buy some toilet rolls from ASDA today.  I was amazed.  That is the first time in about a month that ASDA has had any toilet rolls on the shelves when I have shopped there.  Tissues were low and there isn't any Dettol stuff yet but other than that the shop was nearly normal.  Well, as normal as it can be given that I had to queue outside and then follow black arrows around the store.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

things like big shout outs on the radio for truck drivers working "flat out" to keep the country going are getting annoying, truck drivers are restricted to strict driving hours and practices and cant work any more hours than before or face big penalties or even having their licence revoked 

I thought these rules had been relaxed?

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

No problem with getting salad leaves and rocket where I am.  In fact, I actually managed to buy some toilet rolls from ASDA today.  I was amazed.  That is the first time in about a month that ASDA has had any toilet rolls on the shelves when I have shopped there.  Tissues were low and there isn't any Dettol stuff yet but other than that the shop was nearly normal.  Well, as normal as it can be given that I had to queue outside and then follow black arrows around the store.

I am meaning stuff to grow from seeds and not bags of salad and rocket.....??

Go on Dobies, Suttons, Thompson-Morgan, etc, they are all out of stock and/or closed for a while to catch orders up as everyone is growing at home

3 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Go on Dobies, Suttons, Thompson-Morgan, etc, they are all out of stock and/or closed for a while to catch orders up as everyone is growing at home

All very well for some, but I have the opposite of "green fingers". Over the years, I think I may have killed more plants than agent orange.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

All very well for some, but I have the opposite of "green fingers". Over the years, I think I may have killed more plants than agent orange.

Try Japanese knotweed , even I managed to grow that ?

10 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Oops!  My bad.  

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

things like big shout outs on the radio for truck drivers working "flat out" to keep the country going are getting annoying, truck drivers are restricted to strict driving hours and practices and cant work any more hours than before or face big penalties or even having their licence revoked 

Rules have been relaxed for the duration.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

so when you lose the card - people who find it or steal it can spend more of your money while you cant get through to any one at the bank on the fone to cancel it because of the virus 

Someone used my credit card at the weekend (non contactless).  I was in a call queue for 2hrs 45 mins before I spoke to someone.  

(card was cancelled online, but had to report it and get my money back).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Someone used my credit card at the weekend (non contactless).  I was in a call queue for 2hrs 45 mins before I spoke to someone.  

(card was cancelled online, but had to report it and get my money back).  

when did modern life become so difficult?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Although the BBC are being bumholes on this with this comment:

Dr Saadu is the fourth NHS professional to die from coronavirus in a week after the deaths of Dr Habib Zaidi in Southend, Dr Adil El Tayar in west London and Dr Amged El-Hawrani in Leicester.

No, he’s not. He’s the FIFTH, he’s the fourth DOCTOR but fifth NHS professional. FFS...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

If an orangutang can do it...

ironically ckn etc disrespect the intelligence of a beautiful creature of nature and use it as a stooge of fun and entertainment which is half the reason we are in this mess now, wise up people please

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

ironically ckn etc disrespect the intelligence of a beautiful creature of nature and use it as a stooge of fun and entertainment which is half the reason we are in this mess now, wise up people please

Where’s the disrespect? Who’s offering to eat the poor animal? I’m pointing out that if a non-human animal can pick this up then so-called intelligent humans should as well. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Where’s the disrespect? Who’s offering to eat the poor animal? I’m pointing out that if a non-human animal can pick this up then so-called intelligent humans should as well. 

animals do a lot of things humans don't do - where should I start?

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

Chill out Johnny , it's irony , small islands of humour in a sea of despair to get us through this 

15 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Can’t be bothered... I took you off ignore but can’t remember why. Back on again to manage my enjoyment of this forum.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

They can still do a lot of hours one week it’s just they would have to reduce them the following week to stay within their hours. 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

so when you lose the card - people who find it or steal it can spend more of your money while you cant get through to any one at the bank on the fone to cancel it because of the virus 

Or (and seen this happen) you put your wallet on the bar in the club having come up from changing and your team mates say"thanks for the round" before you even realise

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

when did modern life become so difficult?

Oh mate, it seems to be getting worse.  My son has an account to put his pocket money in.  He can actually access the account online but for some reason he got the password wrong the other day when he was trying to see how much money there was and he was locked out of his account but given a reference number to ring the bank.

I tried ringing 5 times, each time you have to answer a load of questions before then being put into a queue anyhow that rings for ages, I gave up 4 times.  Finally, I rang early in the morning and I only had to wait 20 minutes.  I went through the details with the advisor who told me that she can't do anything because he has to register for telephone banking.  So, now they are sending a code for him through the post which will take 5 days before it reaches us.  Hopefully, he can then use that to register for telephone banking and there will only be another half a dozen steps to reset his password.

All this just sums up how ###### the 21st Century is, a generation ago my son would have been able to walk down to the branch in 10 minutes, get someone behind the counter to scribble down his balance and then he could walk home.  All done in 30 minutes tops.  Now it has taken 3 of us (Me, my son, and the advisor) over 2 weeks to still have no idea how much is in his account.

I reckon the human species peaked with the moon landings and it's been all downhill since then, thank God Coronavirus has come along to put us all out of our misery.

No comment on this from me (taken from the BBC Live reporting)

"China has approved the use of bear bile to treat critically ill coronavirus patients.

The National Health Commission has recommended the use of Tan Re Qing - an injection that contains bear bile, goat horn and herbs - to treat patients with Covid-19.

But there is no evidence the mixture has any medicinal value.

Bear bile, which is produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder, has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for hundreds of years and fetches a high price in the illegal international market.

The move to approve its use has angered animal rights activists and comes just weeks after the country banned the sale of wild animals for food."

Article share tools

Archived