coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Padge said:

Cumbria has large numbers of Chinese tourists.

Apparently the Chinese, Japanese and others from SE Asia didn't even start coming to the Lakes for the start of the season (usually mid March) this year, so I'm not sure that's the reason

More likely is the large number of UK visitors, that peaked 2 weeks ago and Cumbria Police started with their campaign to deter visitors

13 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Apparently the Chinese, Japanese and others from SE Asia didn't even start coming to the Lakes for the start of the season (usually mid March) this year, so I'm not sure that's the reason

More likely is the large number of UK visitors, that peaked 2 weeks ago and Cumbria Police started with their campaign to deter visitors

A quick google showed me that February is very popular.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 minutes ago, Padge said:

A quick google showed me that February is very popular.

The overseas market is only 15% of overall numbers of visitors to Cumbria (some parts of the Lakes are higher than 15%). Granted SE Asia is a good proportion of that 15%, but the Chinese started cancelling in January. By mid-Feb businesses were noticing much reduced numbers of visitors from SE Asia and many cancellations

In my visits during Jan to mid March it was noticeable that those from SE Asia weren't there in numbers. I could have gone on the wrong day of course!

Feb isn't that far behind in terms of accommodation booked stats, but day trippers and overnight stays from the UK market are a huge part of the overall numbers compared to SE Asia (and many of those therefore, don't show up in accommodation stats) and the more likely source IMO. 

I'd be interested in what you have found re February. The friends I have in the industry don't do anything in Feb, but that's not totally reflective of overall visitors

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Recommended to me by a friend who is a lecturer at the University of Strathclyde for explaining to a general audience.

That's for a general audience?

Blimey.  It just looks like a child has taken a pencil and scribbled all over some coloured dots!

4 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

To add - There is also the age profile of the population of Cumbria that could be a factor

Also remember the 2nd home lot who fled London to holiday homes, but actually brought the infection with them. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

The overseas market is only 15% of overall numbers of visitors to Cumbria (some parts of the Lakes are higher than 15%). Granted SE Asia is a good proportion of that 15%, but the Chinese started cancelling in January. By mid-Feb businesses were noticing much reduced numbers of visitors from SE Asia and many cancellations

In my visits during Jan to mid March it was noticeable that those from SE Asia weren't there in numbers. I could have gone on the wrong day of course!

Feb isn't that far behind in terms of accommodation booked stats, but day trippers and overnight stays from the UK market are a huge part of the overall numbers compared to SE Asia (and many of those therefore, don't show up in accommodation stats) and the more likely source IMO. 

I'd be interested in what you have found re February. The friends I have in the industry don't do anything in Feb, but that's not totally reflective of overall visitors

A switch wasn't thrown at a certain date to turn on the disease en mass, it was only when a lot of people in one area where going down with it that it became something to be concerned about and then a little time after that before it was realised that this was a major problem. People had already been carrying the disease all over the place.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Hope you're okay. Mrs Ginger took an expected pay cut yesterday. We'll be fine but it makes life that bit harder in general.

Thanks - I'm probably better placed to weather a 20% pay cut than most, so I won't be moaning. And my expenditure has decreased quite a bit, because i) I don't have to buy a York-Leeds rail season ticket because I am working at home, and ii) the pubs are shut.

My main issue with it is that I'll have a an additional empty day per week to keep myself entertained.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Either that or a lot of Cumbrians went on skiing holidays to Italy this year!

The elderly population of Cumbria won't have been skiing in Italy Saintslass. Isn't one of the main suspect locations Ischgl in Austria though? We have our own skiing area on Raise with 1 button tow that keeps the Cumbrian skiers happy!

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

That's for a general audience?

Blimey.  It just looks like a child has taken a pencil and scribbled all over some coloured dots!

Yes, frankly I think it is more for sixth form science students. But, I was not sure which of us was out of touch.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Also remember the 2nd home lot who fled London to holiday homes, but actually brought the infection with them. 

February half term school holidays are probably the biggest contributor.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

11 hours ago, ckn said:

There was a bloke from London who escaped to North East Scotland who did just that. Apparently he has now recovered and is now able to pontificate to us about what WE should do.

#allinthistogether.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

16 minutes ago, Bearman said:

There was a bloke from London who escaped to North East Scotland who did just that. Apparently he has now recovered and is now able to pontificate to us about what WE should do.

#allinthistogether.

Tory Peer Kirsty Allsop did the same from London to Devon.

Some people are just ... *sighs and shakes head*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My facebook is both worrying and heartening this am

A thread in my old school compatriots group

An NHS worker asking very late last night if anyone had access to the school's or any other 3D printer to produce masks and visors as they are down to last few and rationing (their trust's in Brighton), several people saying they could make the masks but not visors (clear plastic harder apparently), another member saying SevenOaks school have turned over their CDT dept to producing both and then a member giving contact details of a company in Portslade that can produce both and is part of a national campaign to produce them funded by a "gofundme" and the original person coming back to confirm they have an order in with an expected delivery tomorrow from them

There's a rant on many of the exploitative media sources, such as the Daily Mail, getting all angry about end-of-life discussions that some areas are having with patients. Please don't get angry or worried by this if you think you're caught by this, it's the worst sort of trolling.

The NHS isn't going to throw you in a skip to die regardless of what this filth is saying.

The whole message is around survivability and your dignity. No-one wants to die or be seriously hurt by this, and some patients on end-of-life pathways already would never survive hospitalisation with COVID therefore surely it's the responsible thing to discuss their wishes with them. Where would they want to die if they know they're dying anyway? In a hospital where no-one will see them, or at home in their own environment.

It's all about dignity of people in distress, not abandoning people. This is NO different to the normal discussions people have in end-of-life scenarios, it happens already, it's just more important now that people already dying are consulted on their own future. Would people rather that a stressed out ambulance paramedic make decisions on the fly about their dignity and future?

I f***ing hate the Daily Mail and I sincerely it gets the treatment that Liverpool gives The Sun.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

17 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

My facebook is both worrying and heartening this am

A thread in my old school compatriots group

An NHS worker asking very late last night if anyone had access to the school's or any other 3D printer to produce masks and visors as they are down to last few and rationing (their trust's in Brighton), several people saying they could make the masks but not visors (clear plastic harder apparently), another member saying SevenOaks school have turned over their CDT dept to producing both and then a member giving contact details of a company in Portslade that can produce both and is part of a national campaign to produce them funded by a "gofundme" and the original person coming back to confirm they have an order in with an expected delivery tomorrow from them

There's a whole pile of discussion in healthcare circles of healthcare folk making their own eye protection and so on. It's proper "wartime spirit" if the Mail would care to do something positive. (NOT a Mail link)

Just now, ckn said:

There's a rant on many of the exploitative media sources, such as the Daily Mail, getting all angry about end-of-life discussions that some areas are having with patients. Please don't get angry or worried by this if you think you're caught by this, it's the worst sort of trolling.

The NHS isn't going to throw you in a skip to die regardless of what this filth is saying.

The whole message is around survivability and your dignity. No-one wants to die or be seriously hurt by this, and some patients on end-of-life pathways already would never survive hospitalisation with COVID therefore surely it's the responsible thing to discuss their wishes with them. Where would they want to die if they know they're dying anyway? In a hospital where no-one will see them, or at home in their own environment.

It's all about dignity of people in distress, not abandoning people. This is NO different to the normal discussions people have in end-of-life scenarios, it happens already, it's just more important now that people already dying are consulted on their own future. Would people rather that a stressed out ambulance paramedic make decisions on the fly about their dignity and future?

I f***ing hate the Daily Mail and I sincerely it gets the treatment that Liverpool gives The Sun.

The place where I work has the Platinum Hallmark for end of life care. One of the principal things within that is the recognition that the person is going to die and it's about making those final hours, days, weeks as positive as possible.

But the person is going to die. That recognition is crucial.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Singapore now on lock down for a month.

You're allowed out for exercise and to get your tea from a restaurant. That's about it unless you're a key worker etc

A very sensible poster on twitter, not in any way a total nutjob, was very clear this is because too many young people were feeling each other's bums in a sexual way.

So could you stop doing that?

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A very sensible poster on twitter, not in any way a total nutjob, was very clear this is because too many young people were feeling each other's bums in a sexual way.

So could you stop doing that?

There's a cluster in a bar next to a lot of 'establishments'...

Could be awkward for some..

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived