coronavirus

52 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed.

My team are unaffected, we all usually work from home. Many of our clients have come to s standstill, as a few people struggling with working from home can have a major effect. It is all very individual.

We've been having daily team catch ups,using Facebook messenger, given the work based options we've been given don't seem to work that well. 

For me, in some easy it's better at home, as less interruptions means better productivity. There are some technical issues that slow things down however to offset that. Having spent quite a lot of the time on the phone this week as well, it's also reminded me how much easier it can be to go and speak to someone when you can see they're at their desk, rather than keep leaving messages or emailing them. 

It's also nice having no commute time, though that can also be offset by people phoning after I've finished work for the day. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Well the memsahib's insides appear to have calmed a little. My throat remains a little sore but no other symptoms present = a stance of proceed with caution.

Sisters fella in blackpool vic has deteriorated.. his kidneys arent functioning now.

This is real folks. I hope folks realise this as the sun shines

Bit lost on what to say , don't do the non funny stuff very well , thinking of you mate 

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Well the memsahib's insides appear to have calmed a little. My throat remains a little sore but no other symptoms present = a stance of proceed with caution.

Sisters fella in blackpool vic has deteriorated.. his kidneys arent functioning now.

This is real folks. I hope folks realise this as the sun shines

Hope you all pull through Robin. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Bit lost on what to say , don't do the non funny stuff very well , thinking of you mate 

Funny stuff is ok Steve. It's my usual go to response in times of need and adversity....?

It might seem a bit inappropriate at times but hey ho... we all cope with life's sheeite in different ways

51 minutes ago, Celt said:

For what reason, as a matter of interest?

I mean - surely if 1 guy simply does not want to be on video, he can dial in and switch his camera off, while everyone else uses the video (for example)

The Chief Exec doesn’t like it, so the herd follow that. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, ckn said:

They are indeed a ticking time bomb, as are prisons and indeed ships.  Anywhere where people cannot leave the premises of their own free will is a ticking time bomb.

However, this one did have the required PPE and all the right access (see the story from the Gruniad here)   Two members of staff have tested positive and it is possible that is where the infection came from, assuming it is a Covid outbreak (the residents are currently being tested), but of course it could have been from visitors three weeks ago.

Either way, this is so very, very sad.  Multiple deaths in care homes have been happening in each of the countries hardest hit by the pandemic and it is an horrific situation.  I feel so sorry for the residents, the families and the staff.  What a terrible set of circumstances to endure, even with all the right support in place.

whos gonna pick the crops? the cry comes from the farmers, er don't we have thousands of fit 16 17 18 19yr old 6th formers, college and uni students doing sod all at the min? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

whos gonna pick the crops? the cry comes from the farmers, er don't we have thousands of fit 16 17 18 19yr old 6th formers, college and uni students doing sod all at the min? 

There has been some success in attracting just those sort of people by a couple of the agencies who recruit such workers.  I think a little over 10,000 have signed up.  There is talk of a 'Pick for Britain' national campaign to start soon as while the initial number may be able to cover the early picking - in April - it doesn't finish until August.  I've tried recommending this to my 16 year old nephew who now has his NI number.  I did it when I was a teenager.  They are all clued up on the Covid stuff and so he shouldn't be at risk, especially in the open air.  I think my nephew likes his computer games too much though!  But hopefully there will be both young folk and those who find themselves out of work at the moment due to the lockdown who may give this a try as their contribution to the national effort.

It's hard work but it is also fun and there are friends to be made, albeit six feet apart at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

There has been some success in attracting just those sort of people by a couple of the agencies who recruit such workers.  I think a little over 10,000 have signed up.  There is talk of a 'Pick for Britain' national campaign to start soon as while the initial number may be able to cover the early picking - in April - it doesn't finish until August.  I've tried recommending this to my 16 year old nephew who now has his NI number.  I did it when I was a teenager.  They are all clued up on the Covid stuff and so he shouldn't be at risk, especially in the open air.  I think my nephew likes his computer games too much though!  But hopefully there will be both young folk and those who find themselves out of work at the moment due to the lockdown who may give this a try as their contribution to the national effort.

It's hard work but it is also fun and there are friends to be made, albeit six feet apart at the moment.

I'll try to find the link to the story of when the USA tried to attract its young pre-college all-Americans to take the place of the Hispanics in Texas and California. Admittedly it's much harder than Lincolnshire or Kent, but most of them didn't last a week.

Edit - here it is

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

All those who have, and are still shouting the "Bloody foreigners, coming over here stealing our jobs"

One of my closest pals has just messaged me to say his father in law has just died. I'd never met him, but they were very close and our friend has just lost her dad and their kids lost their Grandad. 

Starts to make it even more real. 

Just done a big shop. It was desperately needed after more than 2 weeks since the last one. With a family at home all day there is only so much you can keep going with just buying from the local shops. Well stocked up again now for the next couple of weeks.

It did seem strange being out and eerily quiet for a Saturday. I was surprised with the number of people wearing face masks or scarves and gloves, far more than a couple of weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Ads already out on facebook seeking workers 

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

My niece has just finished 6th form, she's just signed up to do a summer on a farm - be interesting to see how she copes with a proper days work!

14 minutes ago, shrek said:

My niece has just finished 6th form, she's just signed up to do a summer on a farm - be interesting to see how she copes with a proper days work!

it will make a man of her

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

My sister works in the ICU in Australia and has got her PPE. Good grief, it is a serious bit of kit. Fill visor and pumped in filtered air. And she refers to donning and doffing which is also reassuring.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

More people died in the UK today than in Italy. Good signs in Italy but not so here, especially given the figures still are short. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, ckn said:

More people died in the UK today than in Italy. Good signs in Italy but not so here, especially given the figures still are short. 

We will get to the other side eventually, just as long as all those people who think taking exercise in the park means sitting with their mates for a day drinking beers and having barbies realise they are being nobheads.

2 minutes ago, Celt said:

If only we were in some kind of alliance with neighbouring countries, where people from those places could freely come here and find work.  That would render this problem null and void.

"It's hard work but it is also fun"

MMmmm.... am sure loads of British milenial 'young folk' will be attracted to a hard day's vegetable picking.

Er, you do know why eastern Europeans are not coming to pick our fruit and veg this year don't you? 

1 hour ago, Celt said:

of course.... but they won't be coming to pick in subsequent years either!

Not only that, but those who were resident in the UK are drifting away slowly since the racists voted to leave the EU, and will continue to drift away.

Still.... good luck with getting 'The Great Brtish Youngsters' to pick your vegetables!!  

BTW...... Check out the home secretary highlighting (for her racist electorate) the fact that they will be "in control" of their own immigration policy, like it is some sort of great achievement.

Well, so far over 3 million EU citizens have secured their status under the EU Settlement Scheme and there is still a year to go until applications close so it seems that quite a lot want to stay.

Archived