coronavirus

Sister no worse and sounds to be breathing a little easier on the phone. She's got the humour back today too. 

Her fella still ventilated. His kidneys aren't working but his sats have improved overnight which is encouraging.

Niece remains in ICU in Perth WA. Weirdly  the c-19 virus is only located in her chest cavity. Nowhere else. She is now of interests to the medics.... like how, why etc?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know we’re on the track back to the dark ages when the government has to issue a statement like this...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

22 minutes ago, ckn said:

You know we’re on the track back to the dark ages when the government has to issue a statement like this...

In what are unfathomable times, the idea of viruses communicating through radio waves has the makings of a decent sci-fi drama. Then again, it seems we live in a world where nothing is totally unbelievable.

That said, I feel much more comfortable since I read the opening sentence, 'The Daily Star has reported...'.

Hopefully this threat will make people listen:

Exercise outside the home could be banned if people ignore the lockdown rules on staying at home and social distancing, the health secretary said.

Matt Hancock told the BBC's Andrew Marr that the government would "take action" if further measures are needed to bring the coronavirus under control.

It comes after reports of groups of people gathering in parks during sunny weather this weekend.

The latest death toll in the UK reached 4,313 on Saturday.

Mr Hancock said: "If you don't want us to have to take the step to ban exercise of all forms outside of your own home, then you've got to follow the rules."

The health secretary said the vast majority were sticking to the guidelines, adding: "Let's not have a minority spoil it for everybody."

He said the timing of restrictions being lifted would depend on how people behave, adding that "the more people stay at home the less the virus will spread".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Exercise outside the home could be banned if people ignore the lockdown rules on staying at home and social distancing, the health secretary said.

Matt Hancock told the BBC's Andrew Marr that the government would "take action" if further measures are needed to bring the coronavirus under control.

It comes after reports of groups of people gathering in parks during sunny weather this weekend.

Mr Hancock said: "If you don't want us to have to take the step to ban exercise of all forms outside of your own home, then you've got to follow the rules."

The health secretary said the vast majority were sticking to the guidelines, adding: "Let's not have a minority spoil it for everybody."

He said the timing of restrictions being lifted would depend on how people behave, adding that "the more people stay at home the less the virus will spread".

The same Matt Hancock who hosted a little shindig outside a new hospital that broke all the rules?

I mean, people should listen. They really really fudging well should. But that does include the suits at the top.

I’ll leave that for now - and the Scottish CMO breaking their own rules to visit family - as we’re drifting into politics.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A glimmer of hope?

image.png.d9fbfb545ebc8cbe7a9067cbe9a91974.png

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Please, please please news correspondents and presenters, just report the facts. I had to shout at the telly yesterday when the a representative of the Royal College of Nursing was asked "Do you think any more nurses will die of this virus" After a fairly neutral answer she was then asked "So how many do you think will die before this is all over"  For the love of God, I know you have 24 hours to fill with news, but think before you speak.  Rant over.....for now. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The same Matt Hancock who hosted a little shindig outside a new hospital that broke all the rules?

I mean, people should listen. They really really fudging well should. But that does include the suits at the top.

I’ll leave that for now - and the Scottish CMO breaking their own rules to visit family - as we’re drifting into politics.

I noted in California that it was more educated middle class women who were more blasé about the risk of disease. Having been to a supermarket for the first time in a while, in a very nice area, people there often seemed more blasé.

It is natural for us to think of disease as being something of foreigners and grubby people. Disease is often associated by people with stigmatised groups. It does seem to mean sometimes that a posh environ can feel immune.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

17 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Please, please please news correspondents and presenters, just report the facts. I had to shout at the telly yesterday when the a representative of the Royal College of Nursing was asked "Do you think any more nurses will die of this virus" After a fairly neutral answer she was then asked "So how many do you think will die before this is all over"  For the love of God, I know you have 24 hours to fill with news, but think before you speak.  Rant over.....for now. 

These news channels are generally built on people's thirst for information, sensationalism, ultra-reality etc. In this instance, I think the general public may actually be turning against those principles and trying to avoid it. Some of the questions are simply designed to shock, discredit or score points.

I am now watching only one news programme a day as I think it is seriously damaging to my mental health to watch any more than that.

I am not interested in any blame game and won't be interested in evaluating our country's response to the situation, until well after all of this has gone; That could be some time. Why journalists think the average Joe Blogs has the time and inclination to do anything other than look after themselves and their family is currently beyond me.

I guess, for some others, it is entertainment of some sort?

I’d love to see some of those who are burning 5g masts explain how they think a protein can be spread through radio waves.

I think this is starting to hit home for most people now. Almost everyone i’ve spoken to knows someone or knows someone who knows someone who has been put in a critical condition by this virus.

There’s a lot of good news coming out of Italy and Spain over the last few days. Hang in there folks!

40 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

The mind boggles. It really does.

image.png.c741e7bd172eb7579bcb4cc6a530bea8.png

No , but displaying advanced symptoms of   being brain dead . You read these stories and just shake your head . These people live among us , and probably still will while good people suffer 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I can see where this is likely to end up. I was on annual leave when lock down started. I'd planned to go out on my Ducati that week, and decided against it over the first weekend to get some jobs done. Consequently I missed the boat, and obviously haven't been able to since. 

This weekend, I've spent most of the time working, knowing that a good chunk of the urgent stuff will be over by the end of next week, and I'd be able to relax over Easter and at least get a couple of good walks in (given I live on the edge of the moors). What's now likely to happen is that there will be a ban on leaving home for exercise, meaning I'll have timed it badly again. I accept it's all for the greater good, but it would be hugely appreciated if those ignoring the current guidance/rules would stop making things worse for the rest of us. 

I'm just grateful that we own about 10 acres of land, so worst case scenario is I have to walk the dog and do other exercise by going around and around and around... 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Ducati my botty.

Many decades ago I considered buying a bike.... i wanted a Ducati.

I proposed the idea to the memsahib who decided that my life expectancy would be measured in days if this came to be.

I drive a Quashqai!??

Back to the virus. I expected the worse today but the park is quiet on a nice day.

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

BBC news are "speculating" about what the Queen is going to say tonight. They go on what is obviously verbatim part of the script. After all they recorded it.

Later on she will say it then they will tell us what she said....ad nauseam 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Meanwhile, a 93 year old woman from a disfunctional family, who lives a life as divorced from reality as it is possible to be is going to say a few words on TV tonight that have been the leading story in all forms of media for the past three days. You will be told how wonderfully well you are all behaving (untrue) and how magnificent our front line service's, those who are paid the least, are (true) .

At the end of all this she will bestow favours on those least deserving, the highest paid, who have overseen the confusion, equipment shortages and mixed messages that have accompanied this emergency, the true heroes will go back to a disfunctional health service, low pay and the ever present worry about their jobs as the economy tanks for years to come. Some of course, the financiers, city traders, asset managers, owner's of large exhibition centres have come out of this very well. It was ever so.

This is good to see:

The owner of London's ExCel centre has performed a U-turn on charging the NHS to use the site as a hospital to treat coronavirus patients.

ExCel chief executive Jeremy Rees said an initial agreement with the NHS to house the temporary Nightingale Hospital "included a contribution to some fixed costs".

But he said: "We have since decided to cover the fixed costs ourselves."

Mr Rees added that the ExCel had always been provided to the NHS rent-free.

The Sunday Times reported that the centre, which is owned by Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC), was charging the NHS between £2m and £3m in rent to use the east London site.

Humaid Matar Al Dhaheri, managing director and group chief executive of ADNEC, said: "To be clear, profit has always been the furthest thing from our minds."

He added: "It is our firm commitment that we will not charge a penny for the use of our facilities, and we will provide the NHS with the operational and logistical support it needs for NHS Nightingale London."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52172007

I’m watching sky news and 500 more people in England have died ... I’m watching bbc and 555 in England have died . I’ve noticed this quite a bit , different numbers being given on different channels and at different times 

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Ducati my botty.

Many decades ago I considered buying a bike.... i wanted a Ducati.

I proposed the idea to the memsahib who decided that my life expectancy would be measured in days if this came to 

When I’m out on mine I have to text mrs shadow regularly to let her know I’m not dead. 

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Is the Queen addressing us from her second home tonight?

Yes , on the terrible crisis the rest of you are going through . It’ll lift the collective heart of the nation and everything will be chipper from tomorrow , and  sorry about delaying antiques roadshow

8 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Fewer deaths but a big increase in cases being diagnosed today. Possibly some of the increase down to front line workers now being tested?

And, without wanting to put a downer on things, the Sunday figures for the last 3 weeks have been lower than the rest of the week, and then seen a marked increase in the following days. 

3 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

They really do ###### you off asking stupid questions , they were at it again this morning 

Archived