coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS is the latest advice on social distancing, no other guidance should be treated as accurate, even if it comes from someone who once got an E in their Science GCSE.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Spain deaths down again - only a bit, but down.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, gingerjon said:

Orange Order cancels 12th July marches.

Some good may come of this.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Some good may come of this.

I have to admit that my first reaction was to think, "Oh, some good news at last"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Orange Order cancels 12th July marches.

They should ask their wives what else they can do around the house with their apron on...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

They should ask their wives what else they can do around the house with their apron on...

FaroffForsakenCopperhead-max-1mb.gif

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The USA have produced forecasts for every State for hospital usage, ICU beds, total deaths etc. It looks like they're pinning their hopes on New York being the only state to have a major outbreak and many of the states forecast to limit their death toll to a couple of hundred. I'm sure they have experts who are much smarter than me but it still seems a little bit optimistic.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

"The tiger, named Nadia, is believed to be the first known case of an animal infected with Covid-19 in the US.

The Bronx Zoo, in New York City, says the test result was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa.

Nadia, along with six other big cats, is thought to have been infected by an asymptomatic zoo keeper.

The cats started showing symptoms, including a dry cough, late last month after exposure to the employee, who has not been identified."

if big cats can get it from humans what about small cats and could they become vectors - that would be a huge issue

3 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

if big cats can get it from humans what about small cats and could they become vectors - that would be a huge issue

Could you just imagine the restrictions imposed as a result. Would it end in a mandatory cull or is that just a ridiculous thought?

12 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

You'd have to pry the cats from their owners' cold, dead hands. Pets in the UK are like guns in the USA.

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

A reminder...

I've seen a similar thing from the Conquest Hospital Facebook page with specific things about paediatric emergencies. Basically: we know you're scared but your damaged kids still need putting back together properly.

Daily deaths in the UK has once again fallen to 403. We're not expecting the peak for a couple of weeks yet so it's still early days but there are some encouraging signs that the lockdown has at least helped slow this down.

Edit - Just realised the 403 is for England not the UK but still fewer than the last few days.

2 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Daily deaths in the UK has once again fallen to 403. We're not expecting the peak for a couple of weeks yet so it's still early days but there are some encouraging signs that the lockdown has at least helped slow this down.

Edit - Just realised the 403 is for England not the UK but still fewer than the last few days.

It's also the weekend figures. Don't read much into that. Tomorrow's figures are the ones that'll tell if things are slowing. Last weekend was exactly the same then people saying "END LOCKDOWN NOW" on Monday shut up on Tuesday when the figures were brutal.

Also, remember, this is still hospital deaths.

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's also the weekend figures. Don't read much into that. Tomorrow's figures are the ones that'll tell if things are slowing. Last weekend was exactly the same then people saying "END LOCKDOWN NOW" on Monday shut up on Tuesday when the figures were brutal.

Also, remember, this is still hospital deaths.

Yeah I wonder when they will add the community deaths, do they have set time frame for when they do that? France's figures sky rocketed when they added care home deaths.

1 minute ago, YCKonstantine said:

Had a bit of phlegm this weekend so informed my superiors. Seems Tesco's take on a "continuous" cough is more than 3 dry coughs per hour for more than an hour.

If it's phlegm then it's MOST LIKELY NOT COVID-19. But I am NOT a clinician and go look at the 111 website.

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Could you just imagine the restrictions imposed as a result. Would it end in a mandatory cull or is that just a ridiculous thought?

You know, during the great plague dog and cat killers were employed in London because it was thought that they were the animals spreading the disease. Hindsight is a funny thing when you think the plague could have been brought under control quicker if the cats hadn't been killed cos they could have caught the rats that had the fleas that carried the plague. 

It’s fine to make a bizarre insinuation about Asians driving cars whilst wearing masks but not to mock a group who would expel someone who went to Bob8’s wedding.

Good to know.

Archived