coronavirus

26 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Johnson may well have said that, but he didn't promise.  That's the way the media works these days. An intention, a target, a wish, a hope.. all are thrown back by the media as "you promised'

Has the media done that? I've not seen any media say that is what he promised.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ckn said:

It’s amazing what horrors humans get used to. Two weeks ago we were in horror at the Italian numbers we’re seeing in the UK today. Yet it’s here today and not really rocking us the same way. 

Yes , it doesn't take long for the unbelievable to become the normal ?

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Johnson said 3 weeks to start then review.

If Johnson said "review", then that doesn't mean the same as "relaxation". Even with his cavalier approach to the truth.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

been thinking of leaving the forum for a while due to moderators abusing their position on several occasions 

But where would you fish if you left?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

"Disco" Tex Evans in ICU with the virus. :kolobok_sad:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

In which case you will have seen on a number of occasions reporters ask questions along the lines of "two weeks ago,  you promised. ...blah, blah blah...."

That is not the same as the example you said and you know it and are moving the goalposts. Have you actually heard the media say that Johnson promised 3 weeks ago or are you making it up?

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

I will not be called a liar by a pipsqeak. On ignore.

Personal insults, nice but its what we've come to expect. I did not call you a liar either but quite frankly I don't care what you think. I asked you a simple question and your lack of an answer speaks volumes, makes a change from your usual disappearing act I suppose. 

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

That is not the same as the example you said and you know it and are moving the goalposts. Have you actually heard the media say that Johnson promised 3 weeks ago or are you making it up?

The policy decision was to review the restrictions in three weeks from the time they were implemented.  But that was an initial review.  It was not a relaxation or even a consideration of relaxation.  Nothing was mentioned of relaxing the restrictions after three weeks.  Only reviewing them.  I don't blame Raab or anyone else not answering any of the stupid incessant questions by the dumbass press pack on exit strategies or restriction relaxation.  It was fully enough that not only was the policy decision taken and communicated that a review would take place after three weeks but it has been repeated at various press conferences since.

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

if theres one thing we are all gonna learn from our time in lockdown - its that kids are ###### at drawing rainbows 

Still a sweet idea though.  It is a good way of engaging them without giving them nightmares.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

The policy decision was to review the restrictions in three weeks from the time they were implemented.  But that was an initial review.  It was not a relaxation or even a consideration of relaxation.  Nothing was mentioned of relaxing the restrictions after three weeks.  Only reviewing them.  I don't blame Raab or anyone else answering any of the stupid incessant questions by the dumbass press pack on exit strategies or restriction relaxation.  It was fully enough that not only was the policy decision taken and communicated that a review would take place after three weeks but it has been repeated at various press conferences since.

I agree and don't dispute that but its not really what you quoted me was about.

Backing off from the political stuff (which has a dedicated thread already).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not sure why people talk about essential workers and complaining about people working. The UK Government are very clear that it is fine to work, and fine to travel to work if you cannot work at home. 

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Backing off from the political stuff (which has a dedicated thread already).

Good to see. The amount of companies, large and small, doing things for NHS workers is amazing. My mother got free food, a free coffee and a free MOT all on her way home today!

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Good to see. The amount of companies, large and small, doing things for NHS workers is amazing. My mother got free food, a free coffee and a free MOT all on her way home today!

The nearest corner café to me, doing takeaways only, is offering a free sandwich & drink to all NHS workers. They haven't been open  for long, and are rarely busy, but are doing their bit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

From the Screwfix Web site

"We are sorry we haven’t got our usual stock available. Screwfix is currently ringfencing personal protective equipment (PPE) to donate to frontline NHS staff. We have currently withdrawn from sale selected PPE products until further notice to ensure we can distribute this to where it is most in need. Thank you for your patience."

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think Blue Light is just for NHS workers.  I think it's for all emergency workers/first responders.

Just now, Saintslass said:

I don't think Blue Light is just for NHS workers.  I think it's for all emergency workers/first responders.

I know but 6 of my family including in-laws work for the NHS so I know a little more about what is happening for them. 

Archived