coronavirus

1 minute ago, wilsontown said:

There is absolutely no chance of any restrictions being eased or lifted on Monday, review or no review.

No not at all and neither should they be. I heard talk today of June and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If Johnson said "review", then that doesn't mean the same as "relaxation". Even with his cavalier approach to the truth.

I agree. Johnson sincerely meant “review” but knew it would be a miracle if it could be relaxed, some people have taken “review” to mean “of course I’ll relax it and allow you to go back to normal in three weeks”. A deliberate misunderstanding by them. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

I agree. Johnson sincerely meant “review” but knew it would be a miracle if it could be relaxed, some people have taken “review” to mean “of course I’ll relax it and allow you to go back to normal in three weeks”. A deliberate misunderstanding by them. 

Yes, the underlying message has absolutely been that this will be much longer than a 3 week exercise. 

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

The only thing I read into 'review' was that we stay as we are or tighten the screw. I never for a second thought, 'oh they may relax this in three weeks'.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Padge said:

The only thing I read into 'review' was that we stay as we are or tighten the screw. I never for a second thought, 'oh they may relax this in three weeks'.

The Telegraph is hinting more strongly each day that the lockdown should end. Deliberately stirring with an agenda to blame someone if the lockdown isn’t ended and the government’s press team will most likely have been told this.

The Telegraph is on my list of companies that I wouldn’t fuss too much about if it went under if it could be done without people losing their jobs.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

I certainly don't think we will be in lockdown until a vaccine is developed. It's more a case of managing the numbers and strain on the NHS and all the while building up immunity in the general population.

I’m fairly convinced that we’ll be in some measure of protection until deaths from it stop and there’s no-one in hospital, even if that means a year until a vaccine is ready. Even an immunity “passport” could be written off unless it can be conclusively proven that you have immunity, and that’s not happening anytime soon.

Even if it does get relaxed, I can’t see massed events like organised team sports or concerts being allowed in 2020 unless something fairly miraculous happens.

None of that’s based on any sort of insider knowledge, just gut feel based on how nasty this thing is.

Maybe a social distancing game will catch on,benny hill style, i doubt a game will be played again this season, if people go about things as thou nothings wrong were in for one hell of a few months. STAY IN FOR GODS SAKE.lad near us works at fuel station and hes had loads a young uns in getting petrol for old motorbike in gangs without headgear, aint nhs busy enough without having to help these lads if they get injured. all posh end up here with gardens full a folks like its bbq night.:kolobok_punish:

25 minutes ago, ckn said:

The Telegraph is hinting more strongly each day that the lockdown should end. Deliberately stirring with an agenda to blame someone if the lockdown isn’t ended and the government’s press team will most likely have been told this.

The Telegraph is on my list of companies that I wouldn’t fuss too much about if it went under if it could be done without people losing their jobs.

I just received an email from the Telegraph timestamped a few minutes after I posted that ?

33E8D520-BD04-44B2-A395-8125EA10D9A7.jpeg

My partner now doesn’t wear any of her hospital uniform in public to avoid abuse. While most people in Australia are grateful and supportive of health care workers there has been numerous incidents of health care workers being abused, or denied services from businesses, by terrified members of the public. 

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I just received an email from the Telegraph timestamped a few minutes after I posted that ?

33E8D520-BD04-44B2-A395-8125EA10D9A7.jpeg

For a moment I was excited as I would take a free subscription to the Telegraph (Guardian too) for the football coverage.

However then I remembered there is no football. 

8 hours ago, ckn said:

I think he was right. People get time to get used to this and understand the needs rather than announcing six months of restrictions out of the blue. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 hours ago, Copa said:

My partner now doesn’t wear any of her hospital uniform in public to avoid abuse. While most people in Australia are grateful and supportive of health care workers there has been numerous incidents of health care workers being abused, or denied services from businesses, by terrified members of the public. 

My sister is a nurse is NSW and mentioned the same. They actually have excellent PPE. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 hours ago, ckn said:

The Telegraph has such an overlap with Spectator/Spiked whose instincts (and published material) are very anti-lockdown that it's not that much of a surprise.

I've been critical of the government's mixed messages, still am, but this was a time when I thought the government was genuinely straightforward: we're going to have these restrictions and we'll review based on where we are in three weeks.

It's clear we're not in any sort of situation where relaxing the rules should be remotely on the cards.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Copa said:

Australians as individuals aren't remotely stupid, so where on earth does this sort of thing come from?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The Telegraph has such an overlap with Spectator/Spiked whose instincts (and published material) are very anti-lockdown that it's not that much of a surprise.

I've been critical of the government's mixed messages, still am, but this was a time when I thought the government was genuinely straightforward: we're going to have these restrictions and we'll review based on where we are in three weeks.

It's clear we're not in any sort of situation where relaxing the rules should be remotely on the cards.

However, and my view matches with yours, I think I read something saying there will now be no review - surely that isn't correct is it? 

I am also expecting a new time period to be announced as most other countries tend to be doing. I have always expected them to just announce a rollover of a further 3 weeks. 

People can probably manage with 3wk chunks, but I'm not sure a lockdown without checkpoints is great for people's mental state. 

The media pushing as though this may be an end date are being irresponsible. But I also think the government advisors keep stating we are seeing Green shoots shortly after record deaths is confusing people. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am also expecting a new time period to be announced as most other countries tend to be doing. I have always expected them to just announce a rollover of a further 3 weeks. 

I also think that's how the Government will do it. However, as a driving instructor, I got an email from the DVSA (a Government body) saying that, from 9th March, all Driving Test Centres will be closed for at least 3 months. I'm expecting this lockdown to be at least that. Hopefully if people respect the restrictions we won't have to go to full lockdown. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Australians as individuals aren't remotely stupid, so where on earth does this sort of thing come from?

Some people are just terrified and act irrationally.

At the other end of the scale my partner can now get a free coffee at a local business (she can get as many as she wants until the crisis passes) and a dedicated shopping hour for health care workers at the supermarket. She’s also been given free donuts and a major pizza company made a free massive delivery of pizzas to her hospital.

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I also think that's how the Government will do it. However, as a driving instructor, I got an email from the DVSA (a Government body) saying that, from 9th March, all Driving Test Centres will be closed for at least 3 months. I'm expecting this lockdown to be at least that. Hopefully if people respect the restrictions we won't have to go to full lockdown. 

Conversely,  there are a number of previously closed businesses locally who are now opening and/or offering deliveries etc from next week.

Facebook appears busy with folk confirming they are returning to work next week

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The experts were very positive about the lockdown and potential successes of it yesterday. It would be good if the media piped down with fake news whilst showing photos of people being many metres apart. 

The general public need to stop sharing posts with no source too, fuelling hatred and anxiety. 

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Conversely,  there are a number of previously closed businesses locally who are now opening and/or offering deliveries etc from next week.

Well I can't work, unless I can buy a car big enough so I can sit 2 metres away from my pupil ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

What kind of businesses are we talking here? 

There will naturally be some who just needed a few weeks to sort out social distancing in the workplace etc. Remember the government have not restricted working, apart from bars, restaurants and other leisure facilities. 

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

My sister is a nurse is NSW and mentioned the same. They actually have excellent PPE. 

My partner works right next to a part of the hospital that is high risk for Covid-19. She hasn’t been drafted into duty yet as the numbers are still controllable. She says that when a patient is brought through they scream out to clear the corridor as they rush by.

Archived