coronavirus

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

What kind of businesses are we talking here? 

There will naturally be some who just needed a few weeks to sort out social distancing in the workplace etc. Remember the government have not restricted working, apart from bars, restaurants and other leisure facilities. 

Some engineering stuff and I've seen some drivers returning after three weeks off. I've also seen scaffolders posting they're back next week

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm WFH this week and it's doing my pellet in. I've got assessments to complete that are needed but aren't essential. Mental capacity assessments coming out of my earoyles I cant complete. CPAs to complete .... again..non-essential so I'm on telephone consults only plus two routine depots and responding to emergency/crisis intervention.....

This is a challenge to my sanity.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Some engineering stuff and I've seen some drivers returning after three weeks off. I've also seen scaffolders posting they're back next week

The couple of builders I know haven't actually stopped working.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The experts were very positive about the lockdown and potential successes of it yesterday. It would be good if the media piped down with fake news whilst showing photos of people being many metres apart. 

The general public need to stop sharing posts with no source too, fuelling hatred and anxiety. 

The Times led the way with a series of photos which showed everyone following the rules but were angled (and taken with a telephoto) to create the impression that they were not.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm WFH this week and it's doing my pellet in. I've got assessments to complete that are needed but aren't essential. Mental capacity assessments coming out of my earoyles I cant complete. CPAs to complete .... again..non-essential so I'm on telephone consults only plus two routine depots and responding to emergency/crisis intervention.....

You've been well prepared ?

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Oh by WFH you actually mean WFH ? ?.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I think he was right. People get time to get used to this and understand the needs rather than announcing six months of restrictions out of the blue. 

Tbh my take on timings mentioned in the briefings so far has been a slow but sure ramping up of the time we're likely to be under restrictions - the Imperial College report is fairly clear on how long they are likely to be needed. As you say coming out straight away with 6 (to 18) months wouldn't have gone down well.

As for a vaccine, I can't say I'm as hopeful as the press considering how many tested, effective and approved vaccines we currently have for the other human coronaviruses.

Fresh from saying that Australians aren't stupid, I now see that the medical experts, the National Rugby League, are planning on restarting in May.

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What kind of businesses are we talking here? 

There will naturally be some who just needed a few weeks to sort out social distancing in the workplace etc. Remember the government have not restricted working, apart from bars, restaurants and other leisure facilities. 

local pub (bit of a gastro place) now has a blackboard on back gate which faces dog walking location locally with a take away menu and phone number.  Dont have an issue with that kind of reopening

53 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

This is the first time I’ve ever worked from home and I’ve discovered I’m significantly more productive when doing so. After all these years in an office I now wonder what I could have achieved if I worked remotely all this time.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The experts were very positive about the lockdown and potential successes of it yesterday. It would be good if the media piped down with fake news whilst showing photos of people being many metres apart. 

The general public need to stop sharing posts with no source too, fuelling hatred and anxiety. 

Much like thought they themselves were sensibly stocking up because other people were panic buying so it is here. 
People are passing on prudent advice as other people are sharing nonsense. 
At the start, I shut up completely, as even with my bit of experience, I was not in a position to assess. But, I have been calling out nonsense more and more. At what point am I another ignorant gob? 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Copa said:

This is the first time I’ve ever worked from home and I’ve discovered I’m significantly more productive when doing so. After all these years in an office I now wonder what I could have achieved if I worked remotely all this time.

Tbh, if I have completed assessments, the write up at home is much more productive than the distractions ofvthe office.

Before I semi-retired  in a former role, I was almost entirely office based and couldn't imagine working remotely. Now I take every opportunity to do so. Its just at the mo, face to face work has all but dried up and as such the subsequent report writing, leaving me on essential visits and crisis management.... which for some reason at the mo is very well managed.

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Some people get into it easily and find it liberating, others can't stand it due to the isolation.

We have morning video calls with built-in gossip-time to give people face-to-face time with the team. It helps we all like each other...

The trick is remembering those who live alone with no other face-to-face interactions in a day. They usually need another catch-up just to give them time to talk and see faces. Human beings don't do well in isolation.

I'm a long-term home worker who'll work from home every chance I get but even I'm finding myself looking for excuses to get out. "We've half a loaf of bread left, I'll just go get another one" rather than waiting until we're out as I'd normally do. I stop myself but I can understand others who aren't used to solitude being very unhappy.

Even worse are those with nothing to do, my job is keeping me very busy but those stuck at home with nothing to do may be doing far worse.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

14 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Much like thought they themselves were sensibly stocking up because other people were panic buying so it is here. 
People are passing on prudent advice as other people are sharing nonsense. 
At the start, I shut up completely, as even with my bit of experience, I was not in a position to assess. But, I have been calling out nonsense more and more. At what point am I another ignorant gob? 

Open Goaaal Football Goal and Rebounder – Little Big Sports

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

51 recovered covid-19 patients in South Korea test positive ...

This is one that's causing a bit of scratched chins in the clinical bits. The occam's razor answer is that their first test was a false positive given that we're STILL not capable of giving a reliable AND fast test. Those places that did roll out fast tests are finding that the tests aren't that good really.

This is where our government got it right, order the tests but refuse to pay for them, or use them, unless they actually work reliably.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived