coronavirus

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

This is one that's causing a bit of scratched chins in the clinical bits. The occam's razor answer is that their first test was a false positive given that we're STILL not capable of giving a reliable AND fast test. Those places that did roll out fast tests are finding that the tests aren't that good really.

This is where our government got it right, order the tests but refuse to pay for them, or use them, unless they actually work reliably.

I guess a lot will be in the detail. I confess I haven't yet read beyond the immediate summary reporting.

It is a worry to any grand plan that doesn't rely on extensive lockdown for a very long period though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ckn said:

This is one that's causing a bit of scratched chins in the clinical bits. The occam's razor answer is that their first test was a false positive given that we're STILL not capable of giving a reliable AND fast test. Those places that did roll out fast tests are finding that the tests aren't that good really.

This is where our government got it right, order the tests but refuse to pay for them, or use them, unless they actually work reliably.

There are a few articles around on accuracy of tests with some stats to show that 4 consecutive negative results are needed to prove that you really are (or at least 99+%) virus free - I'm fairly sure that those figures apply to the 'reliable' test. Positive tests are more reliable.

Not my house, but that of a local boy made good (actually a very nice bloke who was well known and liked before he hit the jackpot) about a mile up the road from us. I'm sure being in lockdown there is not too stressful.

formbybanner.jpg

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I needed pharmacy and a few bits  like milk tea bread as we've none left. Social distancing measures well organised but about an hour in the queue to get in the store

20200408_115031.jpg

Our local Co-op is alway fairly well stocked for basics. Some of our local supermarkets allow NHS folk to jump the queue if you tell the bouncer at the door.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Our local Co-op is alway fairly well stocked for basics. Some of our local supermarkets allow NHS folk to jump the queue if you tell the bouncer at the door.

I have to queue at the Sainsbury's, so I don't go often, or at busy times. I've had to wait outside our Co-op only once so far and, while the choice is limited in a smaller shop, it just makes you more resourceful. The latter also has a good and interesting selection of red wine.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

A Man of God, now that is what we like to see!

This is the other local church, next door to our doctors surgery and with a link to another member of the forum.

Whiteparish - OPC Vacancy 

3 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

local pub (bit of a gastro place) now has a blackboard on back gate which faces dog walking location locally with a take away menu and phone number.  Dont have an issue with that kind of reopening

yeah, i'm aware of a few restaurants starting to realign themselves as delivery or takeaway now they have had time to do so. 

I think it makes sense for people to be open where they can work safely whilst social distancing, even if not at home.

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Much like thought they themselves were sensibly stocking up because other people were panic buying so it is here. 
People are passing on prudent advice as other people are sharing nonsense. 
At the start, I shut up completely, as even with my bit of experience, I was not in a position to assess. But, I have been calling out nonsense more and more. At what point am I another ignorant gob? 

I'm really having to force myself to not get involved with some of the social media nonsense. I definitely had to steer clear of the #clapforboris guff. 

I don't think it is good for my mental state to get wound up by somebody in a park a few hundred miles away is sitting with their wife having a disposable BBQ in the park. Interestingly, some of those getting wound up are enjoying their BBQ in their large garden with hot tub whilst calling the plebs pricks.

22 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

I'm sure being in lockdown there is not too stressful.

formbybanner.jpg

That'll depend on how many jobs you've been putting off until "you've got time" I'd have thought!  Rack up quick in a place that big!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm really having to force myself to not get involved with some of the social media nonsense. I definitely had to steer clear of the #clapforboris guff. 

I don't think it is good for my mental state to get wound up by somebody in a park a few hundred miles away is sitting with their wife having a disposable BBQ in the park. Interestingly, some of those getting wound up are enjoying their BBQ in their large garden with hot tub whilst calling the plebs pricks.

My personal favourites are those out in parks and the like taking photos of those out in parks so they can complain about it, a certain amount of irony that seems lost on them if you raise it!

5 minutes ago, shrek said:

My personal favourites are those out in parks and the like taking photos of those out in parks so they can complain about it, a certain amount of irony that seems lost on them if you raise it!

Or the media using tricks of perspective to group people together unnaturally. I think press photographers should require a police pass to go out in public during this crisis.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Or the media using tricks of perspective to group people together unnaturally. I think press photographers should require a police pass to go out in public during this crisis.

Ha agreed!

Imagine if Landscape Photographers also played the "can't work from home card" - especially in this day and age when plenty of them make a decent living from photos, vloging and workshops!

Archived