coronavirus

Observations on people on my daily walk , and what they do when you meet them .

People walking 30 years old or older , generally say good morning , fairly cheery , acknowledge you if you cross the road to distance yourself.

People walking under 30 years old , generally look at you with astonishment as if to say "why has that person spoke to me when i don!t know him " , and never reply , never acknowledge you if you cross the road to distance yourself .

Cyclists generally still think they can ride right next to you instead of moving away from the pavement even on deserted roads.

Joggers generally head down , with the attitude of i`m coming get out of my way ,never acknowledge you if you move out of their way  (apart from a young lady this morning....thank you )

People wearing headphones , usually in their own bubble and totally aware of anything .

Anyone else had similar experiences ? 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Observations on people on my daily walk , and what they do when you meet them .

People walking 30 years old or older , generally say good morning , fairly cheery , acknowledge you if you cross the road to distance yourself.

People walking under 30 years old , generally look at you with astonishment as if to say "why has that person spoke to me when i don!t know him " , and never reply , never acknowledge you if you cross the road to distance yourself .

Cyclists generally still think they can ride right next to you instead of moving away from the pavement even on deserted roads.

Joggers generally head down , with the attitude of i`m coming get out of my way ,never acknowledge you if you move out of their way  (apart from a young lady this morning....thank you )

People wearing headphones , usually in their own bubble and totally aware of anything .

Anyone else had similar experiences ? 

Pretty dissimilar to you. By far the majority, regardless of age and gender, are keen to say hello even when moving the 2m away. Runners (and I've been both walker and runner) seem very keen to move out of your way, up to and including being in the road. No issue with road cyclists. The only problem group where the majority seem to be in a complete world of their own are pavement cyclists who, even with a pretty empty road beside them, still seem keen to plough down the middle of the path.

My other anecdotal observation is that what traffic there is is going a lot, lot faster.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Suspect a lot depends on where you live and who you are. I regularly run in the daytime normally anyway - and my observation is that other runners always say hello, walkers always say hello unless they're in a group, dogwalkers sometimes do and sometimes don't. If I'm running on country lanes, passing cyclists rarely say hello. I live in a village where most people would say hello to passers-by anyway though - normal here, but the act of a lunatic if you live in a town or city.

Not had any problem with people being considerate and giving each other 2 metres, except at Sainsburys, where even the staff were congregating in large groups for a chat and the whole social distancing thing seemed to be unknown to a significant minority of customers. Won't be going there again.

40 minutes ago, ckn said:

Our media, inc BBC, exaggerating? Never... I won't believe it.

One of my sisters was asked to keep her cats locked in overnight yesterday. Not coronavirus though - an otter cub had got separated from its mother and the RSPCA was trying to keep a stretch of the river clear of predators so that they could find each other. 

42 minutes ago, ckn said:

Our media, inc BBC, exaggerating? Never... I won't believe it.

p.s. if you dump your cat at a shelter because of this then you are an Inverdale of the highest order. Please punt yourself repeatedly in the privates if you're thinking of dumping your cat because of this, reconsider dumping them then just don't do it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

p.s. if you dump your cat at a shelter because of this then you are an Inverdale of the highest order. Please punt yourself repeatedly in the privates if you're thinking of dumping your cat because of this, reconsider dumping them then just don't do it.

Or any pets, not just feline pests. I am allergic to Cats. Much to my daughters dismay.

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Pretty dissimilar to you. By far the majority, regardless of age and gender, are keen to say hello even when moving the 2m away.       Runners (and I've been both walker and runner) seem very keen to move out of your way, up to and including being in the road. No issue with road cyclists. The only problem group where the majority seem to be in a complete world of their own are pavement cyclists who, even with a pretty empty road beside them, still seem keen to plough down the middle of the path.

My other anecdotal observation is that what traffic there is is going a lot, lot faster.

Thats my default position if running where there's a chance of passing pedestrians, now the roads are quieter

Often its easier underfoot on the main road as the footpaths are more uneven with some real ankle turner traps, and you don't have to be looking for dog poo as often

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Thats my default position if running where there's a chance of passing pedestrians, now the roads are quieter

Often its easier underfoot on the main road as the footpaths are more uneven with some real ankle turner traps, and you don't have to be looking for dog poo as often

everyone being very observant of distance here EXCEPT the single guy who has set himself up with a laptop on the bench almost next to the only dog mess bin and glowers at anyone trying to deposit poobags as if they are lobbing corona grenades at him - he has been there every day this week both when my wife and I walk the dog, so either he is out all day or it is pure coincidence he is out when she goes c9:30am and me in later afternoon

20 minutes ago, fevtom said:

931 deaths reported in the last 24 hours in the UK's deadliest day so far. It's not really unexpected considering that's roughly what Italy and Spain peaked at but we might not be near our peak yet.

1,939 in the US.

Awful numbers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

1,939 in the US.

Awful numbers.

Yeah, I think they may get staggeringly big in the US with the population densities of the cities. In percentage terms they are still quite a bit smaller than ours at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah, I think they may get staggeringly big in the US with the population densities of the cities. In percentage terms they are still quite a bit smaller than ours at the moment.

That's also not all states reporting, and their wildly differing standards on reporting. US numbers about as reliable as a best guess rather than accurate count. At least ours has a methodology behind it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

That's also not all states reporting, and their wildly differing standards on reporting. US numbers about as reliable as a best guess rather than accurate count. At least ours has a methodology behind it.

I also think that with the general attitude towards those that are less well off in the US, particularly when it comes to welfare, health etc, that a lot of people are going to be more severely affected than in the UK and wont have the same level of care and support.

Just now, Damien said:

I also think that with the general attitude towards those that are less well off in the US, particularly when it comes to welfare, health etc, that a lot of people are going to be more severely affected than in the UK and wont have the same level of care and support.

It would frighten me sh itless to be I'll in the usa if I didn't have an all risk insurance health cover

17 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

900+ deaths in the uk.

Still.... folks can take their clubs and play crazy golf in rosehill park.

Absolutely nuts. This is Rovrum folks!

been saying for ages the govt need to lock down proper or else, I have never seen as many old people out on walks in my entire life, they are the most selfish and stupidest age bracket of the lot.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Telegraph still punting the imbecilic "increasingly imminent peak" nonsense. And "Lexit" or "Loxit" being used to rally the Brexit "freedom" troops is just pathetic.

image.png

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

Telegraph still punting the imbecilic "increasingly imminent peak" nonsense. And "Lexit" or "Loxit" being used to rally the Brexit "freedom" troops is just pathetic.

image.png

What the Telegraph has been doing of late is so dangerous. The media have a responsibility and important role in all of this and what the Telegraph are doing isn't helpful in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

image.png

I have absolutely no idea how anyone can look at our situation and even begin to guess whether we're in a peak, about to hit a peak or even if, having hit a peak, that means the decrease on the other side hits a pre-planned chart rather than behaves erratically, rises again, or does something as yet unknown.

If you even remotely believe the Chinese figures, which no human should do, then it took them 70+ days of complete and total lock down to sort out Wuhan. So that would be another 50 days from today. Except we're not in a Wuhan-style lockdown.

Archived