coronavirus

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

The Guardian ran the story first.  Everyone else is copying.

I don't read the Mail.  I don't read tabloids per se, as I've said on here before.

The Telegraph is a tabloid for people who don't read tabloids.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be just as sympathetic if the minister was a Labour minister.  He is perfectly within his rights, legally, to take his elderly parents medication and essentials (the media seem to think that essentials is food but it could be supplements to help his father's condition).  As Andrew Neil said on Twitter, the story had died by paragraph 4 so why did the Guardian bother publishing?  (Neil said that whole sentence btw)

As for the 'second home' thing.  Bedfordshire is his home.  They have a property in London and rent the constituency property.  London for when he is at Parliament, constituency property for when in the constituency.  The Bedfordshire home is where they spend their weekends, and his family were there before the lockdown.  He, like other MPs, are now working from home.  Bedfordshire is his home.  He used to be chairman at the Bedfordshire Conservative Association.  He has a history there.  His family was already there.  He's at home.

Non-stories both of them.  The Guardian is just desperate and hasn't done itself any favours at all.

Jesus H Arkwright...... I agree with almost every word....

These are strange and troubling times....

Can't you just fire something off about the miners strike or something so I can re-boot.....and re-establish the normal order of things??

4 hours ago, ckn said:

Some people wanted to get a hint of capacity usage. This morning, England’s hospitals are at 135% used capacity if you used 1st March 2020 as the 100% capacity baseline (we were 85% used then) 

We’re at about 90% real-time capacity now but more is coming online each day. 

Does this include the Nightingale hospitals?

I know from my GP friend (who has two children in the medical profession) that hospitals have basically emptied out in order to facilitate care for Covid patients.  For example, one of my friend's children is an emergency mental health nurse.  Normally she operates out of the A&E department.  However, in her hospital (in the Southampton area), the usual A&E department has been given over to Covid patients and A&E is now operating out of a marquee in the car park.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Jesus H Arkwright...... I agree with almost every word....

These are strange and troubling times....

Can't you just fire something off about the miners strike or something so I can re-boot.....and re-establish the normal order of things??

Enjoy JohnM and Saintslass at loggerheads. It doesn't happen too often!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I know from my GP friend (who has two children in the medical profession) that hospitals have basically emptied out in order to facilitate care for Covid patients.  For example, one of my friend's children is an emergency mental health nurse.  Normally she operates out of the A&E department.  However, in her hospital (in the Southampton area), the usual A&E department has been given over to Covid patients and A&E is now operating out of a marquee in the car park.

Yes. A formal bed, whether it's in a tent or in a 100 year old hospital counts. Equally safe given the standards applied to them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, Damien said:

The Daily Mail is normally one of the staunchest defenders of everything Conservative, maybe not quite at the levels we see of a couple of people on here but close. However throughout the Coronavirus pandemic they have been very critical of the Government and its actions, certainly in the online editions. That has been especially so over the last week or so. That speaks volumes really.

The only volume the Mail knows is loud, and if it can't be loud about migrants and the EU anymore (since its change in boss) then it'll be loud about something else that will get people all stirred up.

Funny how folk on here are now full of love for the Mail!  I'm sure people on here used to think of it as little more than toilet paper.

Just now, Saintslass said:

The only volume the Mail knows is loud, and if it can't be loud about migrants and the EU anymore (since its change in boss) then it'll be loud about something else that will get people all stirred up.

Funny how folk on here are now full of love for the Mail!  I'm sure people on here used to think of it as little more than toilet paper.

I still hate it, if that's any consolation.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

No, if were to compare the capacity we had on 1st March against usage now, we'd be at 135% usage. Against the newly expanded usage, we're at 85% (ish). And that capacity is increasing each day with more of the community/ITU "Nightingale" hospitals being run up.

It was my way of showing just how many new beds and how much temporary capacity we've created in under a month.

I think the NHS bods in charge (who presumably planned all this with the government and armed forces) and the staff (who will have had to adapt enormously to facilitate all the changes) have done the most amazing job.  I suppose this shows how flexible our health service can be when it really has to be.  I wonder how this whole experience will change things in the future?

Whose full of love for the Mail? I think it's a terrible newspaper and deplore some of its reporting.

I cant help but laugh at the irony though when this comes from a person that constantly quotes the Guardian then derides it when it doesnt suit.

Just now, Damien said:

Whose full of love for the Mail? I think it's a terrible newspaper and deplore some of its reporting.

I cant help but laugh at the irony though when this comes from a person that constantly quotes the Guardian then derides it when it doesnt suit.

You appear to suddenly love the Mail.

I have explained previously why I quote the Guardian: that is the paper which best reflects the views of the majority on here.  As I also said when I explained that, if I quoted the Telegraph, nobody would read my links anyway so it would be pointless.  

Let's stop bitching for a bit and keep offer our support to Leeds united legend Norman Hunter, who's been admitted to hospital. I hope he bites its legs.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I think the NHS bods in charge (who presumably planned all this with the government and armed forces) and the staff (who will have had to adapt enormously to facilitate all the changes) have done the most amazing job.  I suppose this shows how flexible our health service can be when it really has to be.  I wonder how this whole experience will change things in the future?

An example, a call I was on last night had 30 different skillsets. Not even two months ago, some people would have been excluded as "they're not doctors" or "this doesn't involve them, we'll just tell them what to do". Those who insist on working in siloes were not invited to the meeting and are now sitting around wondering why everyone's complaining about being so busy.

I do see a bit of a civil war coming in the NHS when this is over. Side 1: the "always been done this way" lot who'll insist on going back to pre-COVID days of silos. Side 2: the lot that realise their job is one hell of a lot easier when everyone's aiming for win:win rather than their side winning.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It shows when change is needed there are those who can make it happen.... with very little notice.

The virus required an immediate response, funding and planning on a scale we've never seen.

Team work and joined up planning and changes in practice are being developed as we speak I am advised. There is no going back now. The work is in reaction to an emergency but its genesis is based on pro-activity.

I've seen woeful underfunding in most areas of the nhs over the last ten years.

I do hope that when the dust has settled the nhs is funded properly.... is efficient (and by that I mean properly efficient not Landsley slice your budget efficient) and move to a genuine pro-active community care model.

I'm happy to wait til the world breathes a bit easier for now.... priorities first n'all that 

48 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I would be just as sympathetic if the minister was a Labour minister.  He is perfectly within his rights, legally, to take his elderly parents medication and essentials (the media seem to think that essentials is food but it could be supplements to help his father's condition).  As Andrew Neil said on Twitter, the story had died by paragraph 4 so why did the Guardian bother publishing?  (Neil said that whole sentence btw)

As for the 'second home' thing.  Bedfordshire is his home.  They have a property in London and rent the constituency property.  London for when he is at Parliament, constituency property for when in the constituency.  The Bedfordshire home is where they spend their weekends, and his family were there before the lockdown.  He, like other MPs, are now working from home.  Bedfordshire is his home.  He used to be chairman at the Bedfordshire Conservative Association.  He has a history there.  His family was already there.  He's at home.

Non-stories both of them.  The Guardian is just desperate and hasn't done itself any favours at all.

I would question whether we would both disregard political alignment, it is after all difficult to be aware of our own bias.

I hope you will note that I have actually been sympathetic to his actions, in that the risk of spreading the virus in what he did was minimal. But, my comment was that it does not look good. And, it does not, which is why not just the Guardian but also the Daily Mail run it as a story.

There is the New York Times test, when writing an email, in that what you write might be a headline. What you write or do might be justifiable, but if published as a headline it will look bad. It is not this level that he has done badly. It would not be such a story in itself, but the look is bad. It is the same thing I criticised the Labour party for when its actions were not bad in themselves, but displayed a strong lack of awareness.

The message being put out is "Stay at home", spending time, even if limited, does look bad. The Daily Mail agree.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

As for the 'second home' thing.  Bedfordshire is his home.

Herefordshire.

They have a property in London and rent the constituency property. 

If the Herfordshire mansion house is his main family home, why does he need to rent a £2000 a month house in his constituency?  Surely he doesn't need a big house there too?  Wont a flat suffice?  I mean, you wouldn't rent a large family sized home with taxpayers money, just to make it look like you lived locally would you?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

24 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Herefordshire.

If the Herfordshire mansion house is his main family home, why does he need to rent a £2000 a month house in his constituency?  Surely he doesn't need a big house there too?  Wont a flat suffice?  I mean, you wouldn't rent a large family sized home with taxpayers money, just to make it look like you lived locally would you?

A previous MP here in St Helens, the one with the Sainsbury connection, rented a three bed terraced house in his constituency.  He was hardly ever there either.  Should he have rented a one bed flat instead?  Or does your silliness only apply to Tories?  

Jenrick does have three children and a wife, by the way.  So renting a house as opposed to a flat would actually be useful, assuming his wife and children sometimes accompany him to constituency events of course.

all over southern news they have almost doubled the capacity of St Mary's Newport Isle of Wight by turning admin areas into wards utilising labour of local army units

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

So renting a house as opposed to a flat would actually be useful, assuming his wife and children sometimes accompany him to constituency events of course.

Justifies £2000 per calendar month?  Got it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I hope you will note that I have actually been sympathetic to his actions, in that the risk of spreading the virus in what he did was minimal. But, my comment was that it does not look good. And, it does not, which is why not just the Guardian but also the Daily Mail run it as a story.

By which you mean

"hey we might get a few clicks on the website from people desperate to paint a politician (any politician) in a bad light so they can justify their own actions"

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I would question whether we would both disregard political alignment, it is after all difficult to be aware of our own bias.

There is the New York Times test, when writing an email, in that what you write might be a headline. What you write or do might be justifiable, but if published as a headline it will look bad. It is not this level that he has done badly. It would not be such a story in itself, but the look is bad. It is the same thing I criticised the Labour party for when its actions were not bad in themselves, but displayed a strong lack of awareness.

The message being put out is "Stay at home", spending time, even if limited, does look bad. The Daily Mail agree.

@Saintslass, would the laughter smilie be at the suggestion that I am not more biased or that the Mail thought it worthy of a headline?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

14 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

By which you mean

"hey we might get a few clicks on the website from people desperate to paint a politician (any politician) in a bad light so they can justify their own actions"

Yes.

I complained when Corbynistas were rubbish at politics too.

Archived