coronavirus

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

It is all getting very Dunkirk I think.  This time in the field of scrubs from the world of costume makers!

My sister in law, who makes costumes for the Scottish Opera & TV is currently making scrubs for the Scottish NHS. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gazza77 said:

My sister in law, who makes costumes for the Scottish Opera & TV is currently making scrubs for the Scottish NHS. 

Good on her.  I think it's great that everyone is pitching in where they can.

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Weeeell, you say that. 

Then there’s “A” company

I did qualify it as “just”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I doubt our system is anything like that in Canada though.  People do like to compare us with everyone else, usually by putting us down.  We just have a different system.

Unemployment benefit in the UK, Thanks to Universal Credit, normally takes 15 mins to process, and 6 weeks before first payment is made. Given the absence of so many DWP staff, dont expect payment  that "quick".

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I really don't know what's gone wrong with the Telegraph of late.  I don't remember any report of them changing editors or anything.  I know the owners are looking to sell it but this isn't the way to find a buyer; it really isn't.

The printed paper is better but even so it's nothing like it was even a year ago.  I despair as for those of us who read the broadsheets but are to the right of centre there is nowhere to go if the Telegraph disappears up its own backside. ? 

Hi, I activated my free 6 months NHS Telegraph online. I received an email with a link so I can read it on my phone and tablet.

Do you, or ckn, know if I can read it on my ordinary kindle e-reader please and if so how?

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Experts are no longer in favour with the Tabloidograph

It’s no longer the Torygraph as I think even the most rabid of Tories have abandoned it like it was their drunken uncle urinating out of his window shouting at foreign folk.

This from somebody who was praising the Mail?

They are all as bad as each other. The MSM don't seem to be capable of differentiating between died "of" Covid-19 and died "with" Covid-19.

The sooner we all get back outside and start to develop proper herd immunity the better. 

7 hours ago, Niels said:

Hi, I activated my free 6 months NHS Telegraph online. I received an email with a link so I can read it on my phone and tablet.

Do you, or ckn, know if I can read it on my ordinary kindle e-reader please and if so how?

Thank you. 

I don't know I'm afraid as I don't do Kindle.  Hopefully someone else can help you.

2 hours ago, BryanC said:

This from somebody who was praising the Mail?

They are all as bad as each other. The MSM don't seem to be capable of differentiating between died "of" Covid-19 and died "with" Covid-19.

The sooner we all get back outside and start to develop proper herd immunity the better. 

The official figures don't appear to be differentiating either....

52 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I don't know I'm afraid as I don't do Kindle.  Hopefully someone else can help you.

There's a 'Telegraph for Kindle' app which it claims works with all Kindles so that should do it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Glyndebourne the same. Although Sussex NHS not Scottish. Also making some decorative masks from leftover fabric.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And whilst we get whimsical about British pluck, always worth remembering this:

And, because we do like the Blitz and Dunkirk. 1,000 British soldiers died at Dunkirk. So, we're getting one of them every day right now as well.

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And, because we do like the Blitz and Dunkirk. 1,000 British soldiers died at Dunkirk. So, we're getting one of them every day right now as well.

And yet there is a poster on the RL threads suggesting in an aggressive manner , " well let's not play sport till we cure every disease then , people die every day " In response to ' get real , you do realise how bad this is ' posts ?

33 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The official figures don't appear to be differentiating either....

A very quick and lazy way for doctors to sign off death certificates.

Swab and test for Covid-19, if it's there, job done.

Please don't tell me that this isn't happening.

Sadly we have turned into a nation of terrified Mary Ellens.

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And yet there is a poster on the RL threads suggesting in an aggressive manner , " well let's not play sport till we cure every disease then , people die every day " In response to ' get real , you do realise how bad this is ' posts ?

I'm a big fan of people who say more people die of flu, or loads of people die in traffic accidents, as if the country doesn't spend billions every year and enforce behavioural changes through the law to reduce the number of deaths in those and other areas.

As someone much wiser than me wrote elsewhere today: success against coronavirus will be in making it look like we massively overreacted.

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Wasn't it Adolf Eichman that stated "100 dead it a tragedy. 1000 dead is a statistic"?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Wasn't it Adolf Eichman that stated "100 dead it a tragedy. 1000 dead is a statistic"?

It's why, regardless of political leanings, I think today's Guardian front page is so important:

The Guardian front page 11 April

27 minutes ago, BryanC said:

I believe you are looking for a way to emotionally connect.

I want to know that we support you.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I really don't know what's gone wrong with the Telegraph of late.  I don't remember any report of them changing editors or anything.  I know the owners are looking to sell it but this isn't the way to find a buyer; it really isn't.

The printed paper is better but even so it's nothing like it was even a year ago.  I despair as for those of us who read the broadsheets but are to the right of centre there is nowhere to go if the Telegraph disappears up its own backside. ? 

Is the " Times " not right wing enough ?

Thanks for your somewhat patronising reply Bob.

I don't think you really support me for one minute, no more than the many comments about "caring" for total strangers.

Your support is not required, neither now or at any point in the future.

Just now, BryanC said:

Thanks for your somewhat patronising reply Bob.

I don't think you really support me for one minute, no more than the many comments about "caring" for total strangers.

Your support is not required, neither now or at any point in the future.

It is always OK to reach out.

It is also OK to be angry.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

40 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Israeli ventriloquist act.

Mossad agent: "Get in the box"

Adolf Eichmann: "I don't want to go in the box"

(Repeat ad nauseum)

48 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Just because covid is present it doesn't mean that the person died of it so not quite as simple as you make out. Scotland's figures include anyone dying who tested positive in the previous 28 days. Maybe you'd like PMs carried out on everyone who dies and tie up vast resources doing that?

Archived