coronavirus

What a great story:

A 99-year-old army veteran who has raised more than £1.4m to help the NHS in the fight against Covid-19 has vowed to keep going even though he has smashed his original £1,000 target.

Tom Moore aimed to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday, walking with the aid of a frame.

However he has now said he will not stop and hopes to do another 100.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52278746

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, fevtom said:

These stats are really interesting because they'll also take into account an increase in deaths due to cardiac or cancer surgery being cancelled as well as presumably a decrease in deaths from traffic accidents and bar fights etc.

That's sort of what I was thinking as well. There's a whole background of things that probably more-or-less equalise out in terms of 'this goes up', 'this goes down' ... and then there's a massive red spike.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Spain records 300 deaths, which in this new situation in which we find ourselves, is a good number.

We now have historical data for the past few Tuesdays which may confirm a trend and is the day of the first death there, 6 weeks ago:

Tues 14 Apr : 300

Tues 7 Apr: 700

Tues 31 Mar: 748

Tues 24 Mar: 680

Tues 17 Mar: 191

Tues 10 Mar: 6

Tues 3 Mar: 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Tim2,

Sorry to burst your bubble. Here in Spain there was an increase of 3045 new cases, the lowest daily cases there have been since the lockdown. However there was 567 deaths not 300 as you have stated.As for relaxing the lockdown,the only thing that has been relaxed is that construction workers on major sites are allowed back to work.Plus companies who provide the materials. No small builders or any house improvements. The rest of the lockdown stays the same and it is looking extremely like the next date for it to be looked at is 11th May.

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Spain records 300 deaths, which in this new situation in which we find ourselves, is a good number.

We now have historical data for the past few Tuesdays which may confirm a trend and is the day of the first death there, 6 weeks ago:

Tues 14 Apr : 300

Tues 7 Apr: 700

Tues 31 Mar: 748

Tues 24 Mar: 680

Tues 17 Mar: 191

Tues 10 Mar: 6

Tues 3 Mar: 1

Are we two weeks behind that, or there or there about? That being the case, we could be at our own peak right now.

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

Tim2,

Sorry to burst your bubble. Here in Spain there was an increase of 3045 new cases, the lowest daily cases there have been since the lockdown. However there was 567 deaths not 300 as you have stated.As for relaxing the lockdown,the only thing that has been relaxed is that construction workers on major sites are allowed back to work.Plus companies who provide the materials. No small builders or any house improvements. The rest of the lockdown stays the same and it is looking extremely like the next date for it to be looked at is 11th May.

Have many ex-pats been affected? I know there are a large number who have retired to Spain who would obviously be in the vulnerable bracket.

8 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Tim2,

It's really interesting to me that, over here, Spain's easing is being presented as a full coming out of lockdown, and also there is, because it's not being explained at all, an implicit assumption that Spain and the UK's current lockdown statuses are similar.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Tim2,

I got my numbers from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/ which gets theirs from what looks like a government website.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's really interesting to me that, over here, Spain's easing is being presented as a full coming out of lockdown, and also there is, because it's not being explained at all, an implicit assumption that Spain and the UK's current lockdown statuses are similar.

It was made perfectly clear on BBC news that Isaw what the relaxations were in Spain and Italy, there was absolutely nothing said that even implied they were coming off lockdown only that some small shops in Italy were being allowed to open and that some construction work was being allowed in Spain along with some manufacturing.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Are we two weeks behind that, or there or there about? That being the case, we could be at our own peak right now.

Our curve is different to Spain's. I think we are a few days from any drop. 

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

It was made perfectly clear on BBC news that Isaw what the relaxations were in Spain and Italy, there was absolutely nothing said that even implied they were coming off lockdown only that some small shops in Italy were being allowed to open and that some construction work was being allowed in Spain along with some manufacturing.

Okay, fair enough, I haven't watched the beeb, just been skimming some of the rolling news sites.

We went into lockdown officially on Monday 16th March although all the bars,restaurants etc. closed on Friday 13th March.so we are probably a week to 10 days earlier than the U.K. However here,we have a much stricter lockdown. Only one person from each household is allowed out at any time. Only one person allowed in any car. I do the weekly shop on a Thursday every week and every week I am stopped by the Guardia to ask where I am going. I am allowed to go to the supermarket or the pharmacy or Petrol station,that is all. I have to show proof that I am going to any of these places or I will be fined,turned around and sent back home.I go because even though I am 77 and my wife is 76 I think I am less susceptible to catch the virus. My wife has not been out of our garden gate now for 29 days and will not be going out anytime soon. However,so far,so good. As for ex pats,I live in a basically spanish village with not many ex pats so I have no idea how many have been infected,plenty I would assume as at first the ex pats seem to think they were exempt from the lockdown. Things do seem to be improving but very,very, slowly.

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You may have missed this , but the UK regulations have been changed.

It is now mandatory to wear a mask when you are at home.  Not to halt the spread of the virus, but to stop you snacking out of boredom

I'd probably just eat that as well John.  :kolobok_sad:

Tim2,

The figures here were deaths on Sunday, 619. Monday 517, today Tuesday 567. So in 3 days down 100,then up 50.This seems to be happening every weekend,high on Sunday,down Monday,up again Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday.The Province where I live is Murcia, 10 minutes from the old San Javier airport,now 15 minutes from the new Corvera airport. To date this Province has the lowest death rate in the whole of Spain.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

EU countries take first cautious steps out of coronavirus lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/eu-countries-coronavirus-lockdown-italy-spain

Just as a bit of realism before I put my phone away, if the 50% uplift on hospital deaths is still accurate, as it’s shown it has been elsewhere, then we’re at around 18,000 deaths in the UK 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just as a bit of realism before I put my phone away, if the 50% uplift on hospital deaths is still accurate, as it’s shown it has been elsewhere, then we’re at around 18,000 deaths in the UK 

Did I see a marked down 15% figure knocking around earlier today? 

4 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I think what I saw was that if you add the deaths confirmed up to the date the ONS report goes to to the number known *in hospitals* given yesterday then it goes up by 15%?

34 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Yes, but that was for England only. Not sure why they used England numbers only for commenting, the figures for England and Wales still show all deaths to be 52% higher than hospital at 3rd April (6235 v 4093)

Well, I had no idea that this company existed in St Helens but well done to them for being involved in the Pitlane Project (even though ultimately the ventilator designed couldn't be used with Covid patients) and for producing 3-5,000 visors a day for the NHS and care sectors.  Always great to learn about a local firm getting involved in the national effort.

Not a local firm, but apparently the first batch of Barbour scrubs and gowns have arrived at hospitals in the North East.  Great stuff.

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes, but that was for England only. Not sure why they used England numbers only for commenting, the figures for England and Wales still show all deaths to be 52% higher than hospital at 3rd April (6235 v 4093)

Caution was expressed by the PHE person at the press conference today regarding the community figures as not all cases have been tested and so even though Covid has appeared on the death certificate, the figures cannot be considered as definitive.

6 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Caution was expressed by the PHE person at the press conference today regarding the community figures as not all cases have been tested and so even though Covid has appeared on the death certificate, the figures cannot be considered as definitive.

Yes, it's made clear in the ONS statistics that the deaths are where Covid is mentioned on the death certificate and not necessarily confirmed by testing. In France, community deaths aren't tested either but counted. There are also theories that Germany's numbers are possibly low because many deaths that would be recorded as due/related to  'Covid' in other countries are recorded as being due to other present symptoms - they've consistently had higher numbers of serious/critical cases than the UK (around 3x for a number of days recently but only around 1/4 of the (hospital) deaths).

Archived