coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Has anyone been contacted yet, regarding the self employed income support scheme?? 

I had this e-mail through on the evening of 26th March, but had nothing since;

Dear customer,

The Chancellor, this evening, announced a new Self-employment Income Support Scheme to support self-employed people who have been adversely affected by COVID-19.

GOV‌.UK has further details about who is eligible for the scheme and how it will work.

Self-employed people do not need to get in touch with HMRC as the scheme isn’t yet open for applications. HMRC will contact eligible customers by the beginning of June, inviting them to apply.

Unfortunately, we are aware of an increase in scam emails, calls and texts. If someone gets in touch claiming to be from HMRC, saying that financial help can be claimed or that a tax refund is owed, and asks you to click on a link or to give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, please do not respond.

HMRC will never contact you out of the blue to ask for these details.

The government has also introduced the following help for the self-employed:

We will continue to share the most up to date information directly with you as it becomes available.

Yours sincerely

jharra

Jim Harra

First Permanent Secretary and Chief Executive – HMRC

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Wow! How much???? ?????

Quite. And that's cheaper than most of those on Amazon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Seeing a few posts that the official guidance has been updated, not sure when as its not time stamped so sorry if this is old news, but just for info for anyone that its relevant to who might have missed it;

15. Can I exercise more than once a day if I need to due to a significant health condition?

You can leave your home for medical need. If you (or a person in your care) have a specific health condition that requires you to leave the home to maintain your health - including if that involves travel beyond your local area - then you can do so. This could, for example, include where individuals with learning disabilities or autism require specific exercise in an open space two or three times each day - ideally in line with a care plan agreed with a medical professional.

Even in such cases, in order to reduce the spread of infection and protect those exercising, travel outside of the home should be limited, as close to your local area as possible, and you should remain at least 2 metres apart from anyone who is not a member of your household or a carer at all times.

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I go to Tesco every day ... my local newsagent has stopped selling newspapers for the duration. I've not noticed any facemasks on sale, yet dozens of people are wearing them. I've checked the Tesco webpage for "facemasks" and all that comes on screen is a variety of cosmetic mudpacks.

Where are people buying their coronavirus masks?

My newsagent is still open. I used to have a walk there every day to pick up my papers. Now I have them delivered.

What was your guys reason for no longer selling them ?

24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Re face masks.  A mate (in his early 80s it has to be said) found an unused decorators mask ftom 25 years ago. He realises it's uselessness but it fills a cosmetic need if he goes out.  His wife has made her own, with  heaven knows what material.

I have a face mask with two carbon filter cartridges that I could wear if I strayed off our property., mainly for comedy value. Last time I left the property was 8 days ago when I went to Boots to collect a prescription. Currently no need to leave our property for three weeks or so. Asda delivery slots getting easier to book.

I'm wary though, of any apps that collect movement data for tracing purposes. Currently, Google Maps even records me wandering round my modest rear garden! ?

Here's guidance on civilian usage of masks by a genuine expert on the subject. In summary, cloth masks are far better than nothing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My newsagent is still open. I used to have a walk there every day to pick up my papers. Now I have them delivered.

What was your guys reason for no longer selling them ?

I think they have to stay open because it's a post office. It's also a general store and lottery terminal.

I'm gusessing that they wanted to reduce the numbers of people using the shop just to buy a newspaper when, for most of the locals, there's only a low markup on the redtops and Mail.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

46 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Order now, you'll get it tomorrow: https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/hygiene-face-mask-ffp2-n95

These things are a waste of money for civilians because they're meant to be single use. As soon as you touch them with contaminated hands, or they're contaminated by infected droplets then they should be disposed of safely.

You're almost genuinely better just using an old shirt cut into cloth masks as a civilian using social distancing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Quite. And that's cheaper than most of those on Amazon.

I think Arco are still doing mail order, though the shops are shut.

I think P1 should be okay for Covid, P2 possibly better and P3 is for Asbestos. All prices will be exclusive of VAT.

https://www.arco.co.uk/search/Personal-Protection-Respiratory-Protection-Disposable-Respirators/_/N-8gw?No=0&Nrpp=36

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

You're almost genuinely better just using an old shirt cut into cloth masks as a civilian using social distancing.

The market stalls are all shut. Where can you get knicker elastic for your mask?

??

Just now, Wolford6 said:

The market stalls are all shut. Where can you get knicker elastic for your mask?

??

Buy some old Wigan shirts, you get the protection and you get the added benefit that  most civilised folk won't come near you. ?

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

These things are a waste of money for civilians because they're meant to be single use. As soon as you touch them with contaminated hands, or they're contaminated by infected droplets then they should be disposed of safely.

Yes - I’ll not be buying from there. Mrs Ginger is good at crafts and has some material on order to do some for us if needed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I think they have to stay open because it's a post office. It's also a general store and lottery terminal.

I'm gusessing that they wanted to reduce the numbers of people using the shop just to buy a newspaper when, for most of the locals, there's only a low markup on the redtops and Mail.

Mine is just an old fashioned paper shop so I suppose papers are a major source of income.

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

Buy some old Wigan shirts, you get the protection and you get the added benefit that  most civilised folk won't come near you. ?

No, they'll be too busy prostrating themselves at your feet. ?????

Posted here because I reckon it's not political,  but shows what we are up against. 

On Sky News this morning there was a lengthy interview with (as far as I recall) a Professor in Public Health from Nottingham Trent Uni who strongly claimed our lock down had gone too far by far. Must be confusing when so many experts advocate strong lock down, whist others say it is not quite so vital

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Posted here because I reckon it's not political,  but shows what we are up against. 

On Sky News this morning there was a lengthy interview with (as far as I recall) a Professor in Public Health from Nottingham Trent Uni who strongly claimed our lock down had gone too far by far. Must be confusing when so many experts advocate strong lock down, whist others say it is not quite so vital

This guy? https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-why-lockdown-may-cost-young-lives-over-time-134580

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mine is just an old fashioned paper shop so I suppose papers are a major source of income.

I wonder how it is working ?

I used to temp at WHSnews depot many years ago. All the papers and mags are sent to newsagents on a sale or return basis, at the end of the week/daily they send back their bundles of unsold which are scanned back into the depot to be returned for pulp and the newsagents are credited for unsold. (my wonderful job was to rip off the free gifts from the fronts). I would think scanning back in things returned from newsagents is "iffy" at present.

We used to know which shops always tried to overclaim on their forms and which were always dead right so if we were busy the super honest ones would get just nodded through - i guess they could be doing something on that basis but it was areal labour intensive job (it was back in the day of computer magazines with 2 floppies on the front and every comic had a sweet attached)

Sister's fella. ENT surgeons refused to do tracheotomy so we feared the worst was upon us. Remains ventilated and on dialysis. 

However, when she phoned Blackpool Vic she was advised he'd had a positive night and had opened his eyes.

Ventilator is being gradually withdrawn. He either makes it or he doesn't. Mother nature is consultant in charge of his care now.

More positives... niece in perth WA is now discharged from hospital.

From a personal and professional point of view this has been proper plop!

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Sister's fella. ENT surgeons refused to do tracheotomy so we feared the worst was upon us. Remains ventilated and on dialysis. 

However, when she phoned Blackpool Vic she was advised he'd had a positive night and had opened his eyes.

Ventilator is being gradually withdrawn. He either makes it or he doesn't. Mother nature is consultant in charge of his care now.

More positives... niece in perth WA is now discharged from hospital.

From a personal and professional point of view this has been proper plop!

Fingers crossed mate. My daughters schoolfriends dad is in same position here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-52280154/page/2

7.30 news. 

Archived